Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Medium Format / Film / Digital Backs – and Large Sensor Photography => Topic started by: evgeny on June 23, 2009, 12:08:14 pm

Title: A still life question?
Post by: evgeny on June 23, 2009, 12:08:14 pm
I'm active only in this forum, so my apologize in advance if this question is out of topic, and if so, please refer me to a more appropriate forum, where I can get qualified answers.

How do you color liquids in still life bottles?
I'm also interested to see new lighting ideas for still life bottles.

Thanks
Title: A still life question?
Post by: jotloob on June 23, 2009, 12:12:56 pm
Quote from: evgeny
I'm active only in this forum, so my apologize in advance if this question is out of topic, and if so, please refer me to a more appropriate forum, where I can get qualified answers.

How do you color liquids in still life bottles?
I'm also interested to see new lighting ideas for still life bottles.

Thanks


SO AM I . Let me join you here .

Jürgen
Title: A still life question?
Post by: michele on June 23, 2009, 12:41:48 pm
I use photoshop...
Title: A still life question?
Post by: Dick Roadnight on June 23, 2009, 01:09:47 pm
Quote from: evgeny
How do you color liquids in still life bottles?
I'm also interested to see new lighting ideas for still life bottles. :)Thanks
What is still life, and how is it different from product/catalog work?

The digital end of the camera might have changed recently, but lighting is much the same as it has been...try candles?

Are you saying:
How do you light bottles?
Still life is usually lit soft from diagonally above, perhaps using an umbrella, diffuser or light tent, leaving a soft shadow.
You can light  "shadow-free" from under glass or under a light tent or diffuser: this would be normal for a product or catalog shot of cut or engraved glass, but still life is usually set up to look like a table centre decoration, or stuff on a storage self.
If you keep the colours in the subject within a narrow range, you can increase contrast later.
Fiber-optic lighting might be an option, but is is normally only used for very small subjects.
You can have shadows and lighting through the liquid by placing the bottles on paper on glass, and cutting holes in the paper so that you can light the liquid from below
If you want the colour of the liquid evident, keep the colour of the bottles light or clear, or light through the liquid
How do you accurately reproduce the colours of liquids in bottles?
Profile everything,
How do you create a liquid of a desired colour?
Acquire some coloured dyes from the kitchen, or drinks cupboard.
Title: A still life question?
Post by: evgeny on June 23, 2009, 05:23:18 pm
Thanks!
Title: A still life question?
Post by: bill t. on June 23, 2009, 10:20:59 pm
And while you're coloring your liguid, make sure it's Perrier if it's supposed to be carbonated liquid.  Most actual carbonated beverage bubbles like sodapop have gross bubbles, but Perrier has subtle, lean, artistic bubbles.  And don't tell anyone you did it, they don't want to know, they just want nice bubbles.  If I told you where I learned this, I would have to kill you.