Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Digital Image Processing => Topic started by: mike397x on June 20, 2009, 05:18:06 pm

Title: argb..or just rgb?
Post by: mike397x on June 20, 2009, 05:18:06 pm
I'm using a canon 5D and I have the camera set to argb,my DPP settings is also set to argb.
Am I gaining anything in using this setting ,or,should i be using just rgb?
Also,my monitor{nec} is calibrated
My epson 1800 printer gives me prints that are an exact match to the monitor.
Also,I'm using the profile that I downloaded from the Cranes Museo website ,using Museo silver rag paper..is it advisable to go the extra step and have a custom profile done for the paper/printer combination..is so,where do I go for the best custom profile??

Thanks
Mike
Title: argb..or just rgb?
Post by: digitaldog on June 20, 2009, 07:04:33 pm
Quote from: mike397x
I'm using a canon 5D and I have the camera set to argb,my DPP settings is also set to argb.
Am I gaining anything in using this setting ,or,should i be using just rgb?
Also,my monitor{nec} is calibrated
My epson 1800 printer gives me prints that are an exact match to the monitor.
Also,I'm using the profile that I downloaded from the Cranes Museo website ,using Museo silver rag paper..is it advisable to go the extra step and have a custom profile done for the paper/printer combination..is so,where do I go for the best custom profile??

Are you shooting Raw? If so, the settings play no role here, only when generating in camera JPEGs.

When you say "using just rgb" that's not clear, there is no "just RGB" but I suspect you mean sRGB. I suggest you read this about the role of color spaces:
http://www.adobe.com/digitalimag/pdfs/phscs2ip_colspace.pdf (http://www.adobe.com/digitalimag/pdfs/phscs2ip_colspace.pdf)
Title: argb..or just rgb?
Post by: mike397x on June 21, 2009, 11:08:04 am
Quote from: digitaldog
Are you shooting Raw? If so, the settings play no role here, only when generating in camera JPEGs.

When you say "using just rgb" that's not clear, there is no "just RGB" but I suspect you mean sRGB. I suggest you read this about the role of color spaces:
http://www.adobe.com/digitalimag/pdfs/phscs2ip_colspace.pdf (http://www.adobe.com/digitalimag/pdfs/phscs2ip_colspace.pdf)


Andrew
Thanks for your reply.
Yes,I meant srgb
Most of the time I do shoot raw,but recently I was using jpegs at a wedding I attended, and this question came up with another photographer.

Thanks for the link,I'll go over it now.

Thanks again
Mike