Luminous Landscape Forum

Site & Board Matters => About This Site => Topic started by: Rob C on June 16, 2009, 11:46:55 am

Title: Sunday Painters
Post by: Rob C on June 16, 2009, 11:46:55 am
Michael

If Van Gogh, Matisse and Cézanne can,
Baby, you can can can too!

Rob C
Title: Sunday Painters
Post by: michael on June 16, 2009, 04:18:54 pm
Aw shucks.
Title: Sunday Painters
Post by: capital on June 17, 2009, 12:26:54 am
Very nice location. Where was the photo taken?
Title: Sunday Painters
Post by: michael on June 17, 2009, 09:10:59 am
Hwy 1 near Sea Ranch.

Michael
Title: Sunday Painters
Post by: Craig Arnold on June 17, 2009, 05:23:18 pm
It's a lovely shot Michael.

Not that there's anything wrong with icebergs ... but I don't think I'm alone in finding people in the landscape very interesting. And I think you do it very well.
Title: Sunday Painters
Post by: paulbk on June 17, 2009, 08:20:53 pm
Perhaps the most significant photograph of this century. Or, maybe one of the top five photographs of the century. Or, maybe merely magnificent.

All I know is if you view the image through teary eyes, you can’t help but look for “Claude Monet” lower left.
Title: Sunday Painters
Post by: michael on June 17, 2009, 10:54:04 pm
Paul – you're going to have to restart taking your meds as soon as possible.
 
 

Michael

Title: Sunday Painters
Post by: Tklimek on June 17, 2009, 11:09:56 pm
Maybe his meds ARE causing his eyes to be glassy....or teary....  ;-)

Cheers...

Todd in Chicago

Nice capture Michael....

Quote from: michael
Paul – you're going to have to restart taking your meds as soon as possible.
 
 

Michael
Title: Sunday Painters
Post by: paulbk on June 18, 2009, 02:19:52 am
I’m a Victorian/Edwardian buff. Love the period. And yes, I’m well aware of the severe social structure and many injustices. But there will never be a more romantic time. Life moved at the civilized pace of horse and carriage. No jet roar. No contrails. No overhead wires. Only the soothing syncopated rhythm of clop, clop on cobble stones. The warm glow of gas lamps. After dinner walks and talks. Women in hats with parasols. Drawing rooms for cakes and tea. And polite conversation. (gossip) The library for brandy and cigars. And polite conversation. (more gossip) It was wonderful.

Modern life is a noisy, ugly, rat race full of neon glitz and twelve lane ribbons of rushing, rude, horror.

I was born a century too late. Michael’s photograph reminded me of another time.
Title: Sunday Painters
Post by: Rob C on June 18, 2009, 04:04:56 am
We were ALL  born a century too late.

Rob C
Title: Sunday Painters
Post by: Lisa Nikodym on June 18, 2009, 11:14:42 am
Quote
We were ALL born a century too late.

Not me...

If I were born about 15 years earlier, I wouldn't have been allowed into the college I went to, just because I'm female.  If I were born significantly earlier, I wouldn't have had the opportunity to travel all over the world with my parents while I was growing up (a habit I've continued and love to this day) because inexpensive airline travel wasn't available yet.  My mother grew up in a tiny town, and back when she was growing up it was thought that a trip to the big city (San Francisco) about 300 miles away was the trip of a lifetime, and going any farther was unthinkable.  The quieter pace of life long ago may sound nice right now, but after a couple of weeks of it many of us would feel bored, intellectually unstimulated, stuck and out of touch, and be itching to get back to the Transportation Age and the Information Age.  I know *I* would be.

Michael's photo is reasonably nice (though far from one of my favorites of his), but in a "quaint" way to me, certainly not in an "ahh, I wish life were always like this" way.

Lisa
Title: Sunday Painters
Post by: HickersonJasonC on June 18, 2009, 11:23:32 am
Quote from: paulbk
I’m a Victorian/Edwardian buff. Love the period. And yes, I’m well aware of the severe social structure and many injustices. But there will never be a more romantic time. Life moved at the civilized pace of horse and carriage. No jet roar. No contrails. No overhead wires. Only the soothing syncopated rhythm of clop, clop on cobble stones. The warm glow of gas lamps. After dinner walks and talks. Women in hats with parasols. Drawing rooms for cakes and tea. And polite conversation. (gossip) The library for brandy and cigars. And polite conversation. (more gossip) It was wonderful.

Modern life is a noisy, ugly, rat race full of neon glitz and twelve lane ribbons of rushing, rude, horror.

I was born a century too late. Michael’s photograph reminded me of another time.

Born a century too late or just on the wrong continent. There are many places in the world today that exist much as you described. I spent a couple years living in very rural Africa not so long back and while different in the particulars, the mood you are after is definitely the same. Time moves much slower (buying food for dinner can last all day), travel outside of your native village is unheard of, there is rarely electricity or clean, running water, and where I was at least, they drank brandy like water (probably not the vintages you had in mind.) Oh, yeah, and they've got that severe social structure and injustice thing, too.

All in all, the Hardest, most Amazing experience of my life so far. And Lisa is right, it would send most people running after two weeks.
Title: Sunday Painters
Post by: paulbk on June 18, 2009, 01:01:29 pm
For me, a photograph must be evocative in order to merit praise beyond the ordinary. Technical excellence is secondary. The sentiment evoked is inherently subjective depending on the history and preferences of the viewer. Michael’s photograph, Sunday Painters, worked for me because of what it evoked within.

In general, abstracts don’t work for me. If they evoke anything (and they often do not), it’s usually confusion and question. “What the heck is this image trying to say?” I don’t get it. Picasso’s cubism, while sometimes pleasing or interesting to the eye, has no message and is beyond me. I don’t want to work that hard to figure it out. The power and point of an image should be self evident without much head scratching.

The fact that I’m an engineer (nuclear) says something about how I think and see the world. Who do you want running your nuclear plants, Norman Rockwell or Salvador Dali? I go with Rockwell.
Title: Sunday Painters
Post by: Rob C on June 18, 2009, 02:18:13 pm
Quote from: paulbk
The fact that I’m an engineer (nuclear) says something about how I think and see the world. Who do you want running your nuclear plants, Norman Rockwell or Salvador Dali? I go with Rockwell.




Frankly, that´s why we were born too late: who´d have either run a nuclear plant?

Rob C
Title: Sunday Painters
Post by: dalethorn on June 18, 2009, 03:23:28 pm
Quote from: Rob C
Frankly, that´s why we were born too late: who´d have either run a nuclear plant?
Rob C

You might not want Dali on the knobs and levers, but he'd be your perfect PR man. Who better to create beautiful (if bizarre) imagery to, er, represent the challenges of maintaining those plants?
Title: Sunday Painters
Post by: Rob C on June 18, 2009, 04:37:20 pm
Quote from: dalethorn
You might not want Dali on the knobs and levers, but he'd be your perfect PR man. Who better to create beautiful (if bizarre) imagery to, er, represent the challenges of maintaining those plants?


Don´t you believe it: he and his ilk would create the perfect mushroom. As in cloud.

Rob C
Title: Sunday Painters
Post by: David Mantripp on June 21, 2009, 05:26:22 pm
Getting back on topic (sort of), Michael's photo does rather bring this to mind....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRJxafiqHvw (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRJxafiqHvw)
Title: Sunday Painters
Post by: Rob C on June 22, 2009, 03:51:45 am
Quote from: drm
Getting back on topic (sort of), Michael's photo does rather bring this to mind....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRJxafiqHvw (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRJxafiqHvw)


That´s the beauty of youtube: a video for every occassion!

Rob C