Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: cmi on June 14, 2009, 04:21:28 am

Title: Vertical try
Post by: cmi on June 14, 2009, 04:21:28 am
This is early dusk in Markt Schwaben, the contrails are jets heading from Munich airport. Shot with the intention of a vertical, but also cropped a slight bit at top and bottom too. What do you like / dislike about this image?

Christian
Title: Vertical try
Post by: Ed Blagden on June 14, 2009, 09:04:16 am
As a colour study, it's beautiful. Maybe you should have gone a bit to the right to get a bit more contrail in, but then again maybe not.  I live the way the contrails are parallel with the cloud bank.
Title: Vertical try
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on June 14, 2009, 11:29:50 am
I would be tempted to crop off about two-thirds of the dark area at the bottom, so you have a fairly narrow line of trees to anchor the image. To my eye that would emphasize the contrails further.

I like the simple directness of the image.

Title: Vertical try
Post by: wolfnowl on June 15, 2009, 01:31:51 am
Quote from: EricM
I would be tempted to crop off about two-thirds of the dark area at the bottom, so you have a fairly narrow line of trees to anchor the image. To my eye that would emphasize the contrails further.

I like the simple directness of the image.

I agree.  I don't know if that's mist near the bottom (in the middle of the black band), but it comes across as noise.  I'd keep a thin layer of the silhouette to anchor the image, but I'd chop off the rest.

Mike.
Title: Vertical try
Post by: cmi on June 15, 2009, 05:20:19 am
Thanks for your suggestions, very much appreciated! As I worked on the image I liked it very much, but then I became unsure, it appeared to simple for me so I wanted to know what others think.

Cropping away the bottom does indeed help the image. I also tried the suggestion from Ed B going to the right because I also felt there was somehow too less space there but Im not sure it makes a big difference. Nevertheless here the new version.
Title: Vertical try
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on June 15, 2009, 09:51:54 am
The new one works for me. Nice.
Title: Vertical try
Post by: wolfnowl on June 15, 2009, 02:14:25 pm
Yes.

Mike.
Title: Vertical try
Post by: RSL on June 15, 2009, 05:50:50 pm
Yes.