Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: deeyas on June 13, 2009, 11:46:10 pm

Title: Sepia or BW?
Post by: deeyas on June 13, 2009, 11:46:10 pm
Here are a few shots taken around sunset, with Canon's nifty fifty. I usually don't try sepia, but I think it works here.

C&C welcome and appreciated!

(http://www.sayeedmahmood.com/photos/temp_2_files/duke_test-1.jpg)
                     
(http://www.sayeedmahmood.com/photos/temp_2_files/duke_test-3-2.jpg)

(http://www.sayeedmahmood.com/photos/temp_2_files/duke_test-2.jpg)

(http://www.sayeedmahmood.com/photos/temp_2_files/duke_test-4.jpg)

Title: Sepia or BW?
Post by: dalethorn on June 13, 2009, 11:49:05 pm
Definitely - I think you're getting a much better separation of tones in the sky with the color.  You might be able to do that also with the B&W, but the whole look would probably change quite a bit in the process.
Title: Sepia or BW?
Post by: byork on June 14, 2009, 12:50:30 am
The first time I looked at these, I thought definitely the sepia. I don't normally like sepia either, but it seems to suit the Gothic architecture here. I went away and came back for another look and thought the B&W was okay as well. Bottom line is both work I guess. BTW, I like the wider composition with the tree in it.
Title: Sepia or BW?
Post by: wolfnowl on June 14, 2009, 12:54:37 am
Of the two I think the sepia here brings out a better mood.  Having said that, I'd try to pull out some detail from the foreground, and in the first image your background tower reminds me of one in Pisa...

Mike.
Title: Sepia or BW?
Post by: Ed Blagden on June 14, 2009, 02:48:07 am
Yes, the Sepia works beautifully.  If it were me I would have cropped out the far right of the wide one, and lightened the sky a bit to bring out more detail in the tree.  Lovely shot.

Ed