Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: dalethorn on June 13, 2009, 10:54:56 pm

Title: Wild Groundhog at Zoo
Post by: dalethorn on June 13, 2009, 10:54:56 pm
Whenever I go to the zoo, I get as many photos of wild animals as I do of the captive kind.  This baby groundhog was one of several in a group being watched by a parent.  Panasonic G1, 45-200 at max. zoom, ISO 100.
Title: Wild Groundhog at Zoo
Post by: button on June 13, 2009, 11:35:12 pm
I like this shot.  You've captured an expression quite well- it conjures an image of a middle aged Scottish gent relaxing by a fire, having a drink.  I think you can strengthen this presentation by burning/vignetting the logs and increasing the contrast of the groundhog's fur.  Really play up that expression.  Well done.

John
Title: Wild Groundhog at Zoo
Post by: dalethorn on June 13, 2009, 11:45:29 pm
Quote from: button
I like this shot.  You've captured an expression quite well- it conjures an image of a middle aged Scottish gent relaxing by a fire, having a drink.  I think you can strengthen this presentation by burning/vignetting the logs and increasing the contrast of the groundhog's fur.  Really play up that expression.  Well done.
John

Thanks - believe it or not, the expression wasn't just accidental - this little critter would stretch and yawn, then roll over on its side and snooze a little, then get back upright and look around like it owned the place.  A lot of fun to watch.
Title: Wild Groundhog at Zoo
Post by: Jack Varney on June 14, 2009, 09:58:22 pm
It is portrait that mom and dad will love! Nice shot. I like the way the timber above to the right is muted and slightly blurred allowing its lines to accentuate the framing effect without intruding on your subject. Perhaps the timber would be better if darkened a little.
Title: Wild Groundhog at Zoo
Post by: dalethorn on June 15, 2009, 12:18:26 am
Quote from: Beachconnection
It is portrait that mom and dad will love! Nice shot. I like the way the timber above to the right is muted and slightly blurred allowing its lines to accentuate the framing effect without intruding on your subject. Perhaps the timber would be better if darkened a little.

Thanks for the suggestion.  I had an opportunity to compare this to another person's take of this scene on the same photo club photo walk.  I got the better composition, but I think the other person did better with the color.  Mine has too much gray, which might be a white balance problem.  In any case, I'll take up these suggestions as soon as I get a chance.
Title: Wild Groundhog at Zoo
Post by: peteh on June 15, 2009, 10:10:47 pm
Quote from: dalethorn
Whenever I go to the zoo, I get as many photos of wild animals as I do of the captive kind.  This baby groundhog was one of several in a group being watched by a parent.  Panasonic G1, 45-200 at max. zoom, ISO 100.
I think you should paint his nails in photoshop! Big ole feet on him/her.