Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: byork on June 13, 2009, 09:10:33 pm

Title: Scottish cottage
Post by: byork on June 13, 2009, 09:10:33 pm
Comments as always appreciated.

Cheers
Brian
Title: Scottish cottage
Post by: button on June 13, 2009, 11:30:32 pm
You have some nice elements here- I like the interplay of the diagonal lines: the sign, the cottage roof, the stone wall, that created by the top of the bush in the foreground, the whispy clouds, etc.  You've spent some time in PP to create a mysterious or ominous mood.  

However, the trees in the background significantly detract from this effect for me.  Ideally, you might have shot this such that only the above elements were in the frame- obviously not possible in this situation.  However, you might strengthen the image by really burning the trees, almost to the point of blackness.  I think that's worth a try.

John

Title: Scottish cottage
Post by: JeffKohn on June 13, 2009, 11:31:12 pm
You've got some nice tones in the B&W conversion. But the composition feels cramped, particularly at the top of the frame. I don't know if you were trying to keep some distractions out of the frame, or just didn't have room to shoot with the lens you were using; but if you could have moved back a bit I think it would have helped a lot. Even a little sliver of sky above the top of the cottage would have kept it from looking like it had been chopped off.
Title: Scottish cottage
Post by: byork on June 14, 2009, 12:18:55 am
Quote from: button
You have some nice elements here- I like the interplay of the diagonal lines: the sign, the cottage roof, the stone wall, that created by the top of the bush in the foreground, the whispy clouds, etc.  You've spent some time in PP to create a mysterious or ominous mood.  

However, the trees in the background significantly detract from this effect for me.  Ideally, you might have shot this such that only the above elements were in the frame- obviously not possible in this situation.  However, you might strengthen the image by really burning the trees, almost to the point of blackness.  I think that's worth a try.

John

Thanks for the feedback John. You're right, those trees between the cottage and the sign are not ideal, the ones on the right don't bother me much....I'll try your suggestion.

Cheers
Brian

Title: Scottish cottage
Post by: byork on June 14, 2009, 12:25:59 am
Quote from: JeffKohn
You've got some nice tones in the B&W conversion. But the composition feels cramped, particularly at the top of the frame. I don't know if you were trying to keep some distractions out of the frame, or just didn't have room to shoot with the lens you were using; but if you could have moved back a bit I think it would have helped a lot. Even a little sliver of sky above the top of the cottage would have kept it from looking like it had been chopped off.


I see your point Jeff.....I had been trying to restrict the space outside the side of the sign on the left and the cottage on the right. But I would have been better off as you say, leaving some space above the roof. I dont have an excuse for this...compositional error. Unfortunately I've got a long way to go to reshoot.
Title: Scottish cottage
Post by: byork on June 14, 2009, 05:29:11 am
Quote from: button
However, the trees in the background significantly detract from this effect for me.  Ideally, you might have shot this such that only the above elements were in the frame- obviously not possible in this situation.  However, you might strengthen the image by really burning the trees, almost to the point of blackness.  I think that's worth a try.

John


John, here's the result of this suggestion. It make's the main subjects the sign, cottage and wall stand out as per intention. Yet again, good call mate, your a champion. If I'd only composed the thing properly I might have had a winner. Oh well, I guess I'll have to go back and visit my brother.

Cheers
Brian
Title: Scottish cottage
Post by: button on June 14, 2009, 08:28:34 am
Quote from: byork
John, here's the result of this suggestion. It make's the main subjects the sign, cottage and wall stand out as per intention. Yet again, good call mate, your a champion. If I'd only composed the thing properly I might have had a winner. Oh well, I guess I'll have to go back and visit my brother.

Cheers
Brian

Well done!  That's a night and day difference.

John