Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Digital Image Processing => Topic started by: Eli Burakian on June 13, 2009, 01:59:55 pm

Title: Help with Photorescue
Post by: Eli Burakian on June 13, 2009, 01:59:55 pm
Hi all.  I'm shooting a book on chess right now and after shooting a few chapters I went to get my images off the card and it was unreadable.  A lot of time and work went into these shots so I'm trying to get them back.

I'm using photorescue, and it was able to show me a filmstrip with all the photos but when it gets to step #3 "Recovering files from FAT..." it doesn't go anywhere.  It's been working for hours now.  I figure the images must be there, if I can see them and maybe it just takes a long time.  These are raw files from a Fuji S5 Pro.  I'm using a 16GB Kingston card and I probably have one quarter of the card full, at most.  My Activity Monitor says that Photorescue is using about 67% of my cpu.  I'm not getting the spinning circle of doom and I'm able to use other programs fine.

Does anybody have any experience with this, and know whether it just takes a looooong time or if there is something else I should do?

Thanks for any help!

Eli
Title: Help with Photorescue
Post by: dalethorn on June 13, 2009, 02:14:02 pm
Quote from: EliBurak
Hi all.  I'm shooting a book on chess right now and after shooting a few chapters I went to get my images off the card and it was unreadable.  A lot of time and work went into these shots so I'm trying to get them back.
I'm using photorescue, and it was able to show me a filmstrip with all the photos but when it gets to step #3 "Recovering files from FAT..." it doesn't go anywhere.  It's been working for hours now.  I figure the images must be there, if I can see them and maybe it just takes a long time.  These are raw files from a Fuji S5 Pro.  I'm using a 16GB Kingston card and I probably have one quarter of the card full, at most.  My Activity Monitor says that Photorescue is using about 67% of my cpu.  I'm not getting the spinning circle of doom and I'm able to use other programs fine.
Does anybody have any experience with this, and know whether it just takes a looooong time or if there is something else I should do?
Thanks for any help!
Eli

I wouldn't know how to *force* photorescue to recover those files, however, if you used a true FAT32 O/S like Windows 98, you could almost certainly recover them.  Even ones that are damaged I've been able to piece back together.  Somebody somewhere has Win98, I'm sure.  And I use the "DOS" command line with the simple 'COPY' command - works like magic.
Title: Help with Photorescue
Post by: Tgrain on June 14, 2009, 02:24:37 am
no worries, I've used it before and it just takes a long time...