Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: byork on June 13, 2009, 03:24:41 am

Title: Blue eyed dog
Post by: byork on June 13, 2009, 03:24:41 am
From a dog show last weekend. C&C appreciated.

5D2  100mm 2.8 macro 1/160 @ f4 ISO400
Title: Blue eyed dog
Post by: Ed Blagden on June 13, 2009, 05:02:18 am
Looks like Fluffy from Hogwarts the moment before he finishes you off!

Like: the fisheye reflection of the photographer, the red earth and the blue sky.  This makes the shot memorable.

Dislike: I think you may have oversharpened it... all the in-focus and near in-focus hair looks too crunchy for my taste.
Title: Blue eyed dog
Post by: byork on June 13, 2009, 05:56:56 am
Quote from: Ed B
Looks like Fluffy from Hogwarts the moment before he finishes you off!

Like: the fisheye reflection of the photographer, the red earth and the blue sky.  This makes the shot memorable.

Dislike: I think you may have oversharpened it... all the in-focus and near in-focus hair looks too crunchy for my taste.

Glad you like the photog reflection....the intention was a somewhat unique self portrait. Regards sharpening, amount was set at 87, but I have always been a big clarity slider (26 in this case) is this a case of going too far? Comments anyone??
Title: Blue eyed dog
Post by: Ed Blagden on June 13, 2009, 07:04:06 am
Hi.  I think 87 is waaay to much for animal fur, which is supposed to look soft and sleek, and not like some household cleaning product.  In this case, you might consider softening everything a quite a bit, so that you end up with a nice contrast between the wild and woolly dog, and the clear reflection of the photographer and the surrounding landscape.
Title: Blue eyed dog
Post by: RSL on June 13, 2009, 01:48:58 pm
It may not be art, but whatever it is, it's a fun shot. LOL!
Title: Blue eyed dog
Post by: dmerger on June 13, 2009, 05:23:18 pm
(http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/vv15/DeanErger/SelfPortrait.jpg)

Byork, I hope you don't mind me posting a photo in your thread, but your photo reminded me of one of my photos I took about a year ago.  I just happened upon it last night when looking at some old photos of my dogs.  I noticed for the first time my reflection in my puppy's eyes. The photo is direct from my Canon P&S, except to crop and resize it.  I realize it's just a snapshot of my puppy, but may be of some interest for this thread.  I never intended to share it, until I saw your photo.
Title: Blue eyed dog
Post by: byork on June 13, 2009, 06:54:24 pm
Quote from: RSL
It may not be art, but whatever it is, it's a fun shot. LOL!


Cheers Russ....after all, isn't that what it's all about?
Title: Blue eyed dog
Post by: RSL on June 13, 2009, 09:19:59 pm
Quote from: byork
Cheers Russ....after all, isn't that what it's all about?

Right on my friend!