Luminous Landscape Forum
The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: dalethorn on June 12, 2009, 10:43:53 pm
-
I've made many attempts to capture this little bird on camera, and this time I finally have one good enough to post here.
Panasonic G1, 45-200 at max. zoom, ISO 80 auto-exposure.
-
Crazy good!
-
Yes, it's a bird, and it's looking at us. Unfortunately, at the size shown, the image isn't quite sharp (or the bird and/or camera was moving slightly), yet it appears slightly over-sharpened.
You have also been unfortunate with the foreground leaves; their dominance, combined with the low out of focus qualities (bokeh) or leaf movement here is constantly distracting, and I think there is too much space around the bird - especially the roof(?).
In my opinion, you should have gotten closer, and considered a slightly different angle to avoid most of the foreground leaves. Here's an example of a crop that shows an alternate composition:
[attachment=14502:dalethorn_bird.jpg]
What was your plan behind the image? Why did you select it for criticism?
-
In my opinion, you should have gotten closer, and considered a slightly different angle to avoid most of the foreground leaves. Here's an example of a crop that shows an alternate composition:
What was your plan behind the image? Why did you select it for criticism?
That's a very good alternate you provided. I could not get any other angle, shooting between a carport and a tree. This shot represents one of the most difficult I can do because of the bird's size and shyness. It's also not a given that I would get an accurate critique, so I thank you for that, and of course you answered your own question better than I could with that new image.
-
What was your plan behind the image? Why did you select it for criticism?
Dale, What Jan's asking, to put it in a less gentle way, is this: Since you knew the picture was a failure, and you just admitted you knew that, why did you post it? Were you trying to show what not to do"
-
Dale, What Jan's asking, to put it in a less gentle way, is this: Since you knew the picture was a failure, and you just admitted you knew that, why did you post it? Were you trying to show what not to do"
When you worship the dead, everything looks like a failure, Russ.
-
When you worship the dead, everything looks like a failure, Russ.
Well, that certainly answers Jan's question.
-
Well, that certainly answers Jan's question.
Did you want to post any real information, as Jan did, or just be negative and say nothing except "failure, failure, woe is me?"