Luminous Landscape Forum
Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Adobe Lightroom Q&A => Topic started by: Mark F on June 09, 2009, 06:32:35 pm
-
The Output tab of Vuescan has a setting for "TIFF file type" and the two reasonable choices are either 24-bits per pixel or 48-bits per pixel. I'm not sure which to use. I've scanned slides both ways and *think* that I see a small difference between the two setting when imported to LR2. The instructions for this setting are:
TIFF file type
This option describes the resolution of the cropped TIFF file, in bits per pixel. It should
normally be set to 24-bits per pixel, since many image editing programs are unable to
read TIFF files with higher bit depth than this.
I'm trying to figure out if LR2 is one of the "many imaging programs" that does not read 48-bit files. Since the 48-bit files are much larger than the 24-bit files I'd stick with the 24-bit setting if LR2 cannot read the 48-bit files. Looked in two different guidebooks but do not see the answer, although I'd bet its in there somewhere.
Thanks.
-
Lightroom handles 8 bit/channel as well as 16 bit/channel. Multiply the bits by 3 channels and you get 24 and 48 respectively...
So, yes.
-
Thanks very much.
In your opinion would there a noticeable difference between the 24-bit and 48-bit resolution? I do not see it on my monitor but perhaps its me....
I'm using a Nikon LS5000 scanner and would like to make 11x14 prints.
Mark
Lightroom handles 8 bit/channel as well as 16 bit/channel. Multiply the bits by 3 channels and you get 24 and 48 respectively...
So, yes.
-
In your opinion would there a noticeable difference between the 24-bit and 48-bit resolution?
Yes...
I do not see it on my monitor but perhaps its me....
You wouldn't since your display is an 8 bit device. But 16 bit/channel images contain lots more bit depth and allow for more color tone adjustments before banding occurs...
-
Thanks again. 48-bit it will be
Yes...
You wouldn't since your display is an 8 bit device. But 16 bit/channel images contain lots more bit depth and allow for more color tone adjustments before banding occurs...