Luminous Landscape Forum
The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Stephane Desnault on June 04, 2009, 02:40:07 am
-
I shoot a lot of 360 panoramas, and recently uploaded a set of 15 of my favorites. I'd love to get feedback, as I've never had the opportunity to show them off to a really knowledgeable crowd!
They're visible here: http://www.360cities.net/search/stephane-desnault (http://www.360cities.net/search/stephane-desnault).
Thanks in advance for your reactions!
-
I only looked at a couple of images but they are unique. I've seen several photos of the inside of Notre Dame but this is the first 360 view I've seen. It goes a long way to revealing the scale and subtleties of the space in ways that isn't apparent with a traditional photo.
One thing I wondered is how is the cameras set up? In the ones I viewed, I didn’t see any sign of a tripod or the photographer’s feet.
Great work!
-
Hi Justan,
Thanks for the feedback - the churches interiors are not from Notre Dame, as it's bustling with tourists and quite dark inside at all time, and I love light in my pictures.
Getting rid of the tripod is usually done in one of 2 ways:
1/ Shameless Photoshop cheating - this is what I usually do .
2/ Taking one more picture of the ground hand-held after taking the initial pics using the tripod, and stitch that back in the final pano using Photoshop again. I haven't had to do it yet.
Best,
Stephane
-
Hi Stephany,
Thanks for the quick reply! I'm confused. The text says the imagery is Notre Dame. Here’s the link: http://www.360cities.net/image/france-pari...-dame-cathedral (http://www.360cities.net/image/france-paris-notre-dame-cathedral)
I wondered if the lack of visible tripod was due to cleverness or an elaborate tripod that permits the camera to move 360x360 without interference. Just goes to show that it’s easier to be smart with software than to depend too much on a hardware solution.
This is highly inappropriate to ask, but do you have any interior 360 degree series of Chartres Cathedral? It is one of my favorite works of architecture of all time, and the stained glass is beyond extraordinary. If you don’t have this, and are in the area, it would be a complement to your great collection of works (hint hint)
Keep up the great work and thanks for sharing!!
-
Hi Stephany,
Thanks for the quick reply! I'm confused. The text says the imagery is Notre Dame. Here’s the link: http://www.360cities.net/image/france-pari...-dame-cathedral (http://www.360cities.net/image/france-paris-notre-dame-cathedral)
Aaahh! Yes, you're right, great pano, but this one isn't from me ! The site will put up links automatically of panos nearby - hence you're getting one to the interior from my pano of the exterior.
Best,
Stephane
-
This is highly inappropriate to ask, but do you have any interior 360 degree series of Chartres Cathedral? It is one of my favorite works of architecture of all time, and the stained glass is beyond extraordinary. If you don’t have this, and are in the area, it would be a complement to your great collection of works (hint hint)
Nothing inappropriate there Chartres actually IS on my list of places to photograph this summer!
-
> The site will put up links automatically of panos nearby - hence you're getting one to the interior from my pano of the exterior.
How do you think the person who did the inside got access in a fairly low traffic time?
I've always wanted to see the major architectural works (and museums) in that area. There are many and each served to help push the limits of stone and glass work. These panos do a great job of providing highly detailed studies!
> Chartres actually IS on my list of places to photograph this summer!
How cool is that - I wish I could write that!!!! I hope you’ll post back when you do.
You have to love the web. How else in all of history could a person from France (guessing) chat with someone from Washington state about Gothic architecture and 21st century photography.