Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Adobe Lightroom Q&A => Topic started by: atmasphere on June 01, 2009, 11:41:07 pm

Title: Import to an External?
Post by: atmasphere on June 01, 2009, 11:41:07 pm
I am trying to get Lightroom 2.3 to import new images to an external drive NOT my Mac's hard drive which will most definitely run out of space.  There's no obvious preference for this and I've tried a few things.  My library and photo folders are on the same external drive in a folder called Lightroom.  

Any tips / pointers would be greatly appreciated!
Title: Import to an External?
Post by: Hansen Photo on June 07, 2009, 12:40:06 am
Once you select "import photos from disc" (command, shift, I) and you've selected the folder with the photos you want to import, with file handling I select "copy photos to a new location and add to catalog".  Under that is "copy to" and to the right of that is a "choose" button.  If your external drive is mounted, click on the "choose" button and then go to your external drive and select that.  The images should load onto your external drive once you click the "import" button.  

Hope that helps,

Ken
Title: Import to an External?
Post by: atmasphere on June 07, 2009, 08:04:06 am
totally got it ... so idea how I was missing that setting, but finally saw the choose option.  I was looking in the main preferences not the import options.  Now of course that I realize it's there, I much prefer the ability to choose in each import.

Thanks Ken!
Title: Import to an External?
Post by: Hansen Photo on June 07, 2009, 10:42:41 am
No problem, glad I could help!

Ken