Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: dalethorn on May 27, 2009, 09:59:55 pm

Title: Pekin Robins at Zoo
Post by: dalethorn on May 27, 2009, 09:59:55 pm
Very low res, smear and all.  These are representative examples I think of the low-light capability of the Panasonic G1 with the 45-200 lens at max. zoom.  The ISO was 400, so noise shouldn't have been a problem.  These birds don't sit still for more than about 2 seconds maximum, so the only way to shoot them is handheld and autofocus.  These were the two best of about 50 shots.
Title: Pekin Robins at Zoo
Post by: John R on May 27, 2009, 10:08:15 pm
The first is pretty good. The light is beautiful and makes the colours of the robin come out. The problem is the background, which has buildings that are evident. I have never seen robins like this before.

JMR
Title: Pekin Robins at Zoo
Post by: dalethorn on May 27, 2009, 10:41:31 pm
Quote from: John R
The first is pretty good. The light is beautiful and makes the colours of the robin come out. The problem is the background, which has buildings that are evident. I have never seen robins like this before.
JMR

The birds are in a small aviary, the good part of which is once you're inside, there's nothing between you and the birds. The aviaries I've seen in Akron and Los Angeles, the only zoos I frequent, are about the same, except L.A.'s is larger and the birds few and far between. The Pekin robins are not in my Smithsonian Birds of North America book, so I guess they're an "exotic" species.  I did manage to get exactly one photo of a small exotic bird at the L.A. zoo, but that was through a wire mesh, and the mesh is partly visible.  So the aviary is preferred, despite the problems of background and very poor light. And I hope the G1 is better than I think it is - time will tell.