Luminous Landscape Forum
The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: dalethorn on May 22, 2009, 04:48:49 pm
-
Taken in a city park in NE Ohio, about 75 minutes before sunset, with the Pana ZS3, ISO 80. The foreground trees were about 100 to 120 yards away, so there's good detail on the trees for such a small camera.
-
Your foreground is soft, but it is probably the quality of light which I really like. Love the long shadows, whcih are medium soft. All your images appear slightly soft, is that perhaps because the sensor is small and you are blowing up the image? But I really like this one- it evokes spring.
JMR
-
Your foreground is soft, but it is probably the quality of light which I really like. Love the long shadows, whcih are medium soft. All your images appear slightly soft, is that perhaps because the sensor is small and you are blowing up the image? But I really like this one- it evokes spring.
JMR
The ZS3's images are 3776 pixels wide, and this was reduced from that, so enlargement certainly isn't a factor. I remember reading that Panasonic did a slight reversal of their noise processing policy for the new TZ series compared to the old - noise processing and sharpening (which aren't available for adjustment on the ZS3/TZ7) have been minimized on the newer cameras. I got the ZS3 only two weeks before the G1, so I haven't shaken it down very well yet, but I do have the impression it's going to be a lot better than the TZ5.
OTOH, I'm having doubts about the G1. Supposedly its auto-focus is better than many DSLR's, yet I'm having a lot of problems getting focus, in daylight situations. I'm using the 45-200 lens at maximum zoom, so maybe that's a factor. These two cameras are certainly quirky, so they'll require some getting used to.