Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Digital Image Processing => Topic started by: Greg H. on May 22, 2009, 11:03:44 am

Title: SpyderCube for white balance
Post by: Greg H. on May 22, 2009, 11:03:44 am
Does anyone have experience with the SpyderCube for adjusting white balance?

SpyderCube (http://spyder.datacolor.com/product-cb-spydercube.php)
Title: SpyderCube for white balance
Post by: Misirlou on May 22, 2009, 03:08:28 pm
Quote from: Greg H.
Does anyone have experience with the SpyderCube for adjusting white balance?

SpyderCube (http://spyder.datacolor.com/product-cb-spydercube.php)

I just got one. Haven't had time to use it a lot yet, but it seems to do exactly what it's suppose to do.

It does provide a great reference for white balance, but I wanted it just as much for measuring tonal range from deep shadow to specular highlights. I haven't had anything else that can do that consistently, while still being as easily carried in the field as the Cube.
Title: SpyderCube for white balance
Post by: Greg H. on May 23, 2009, 11:35:13 am
Quote from: Misirlou
I just got one. Haven't had time to use it a lot yet, but it seems to do exactly what it's suppose to do.

It does provide a great reference for white balance, but I wanted it just as much for measuring tonal range from deep shadow to specular highlights. I haven't had anything else that can do that consistently, while still being as easily carried in the field as the Cube.

Thanks. I will probably order one. If you have a chance to try it, I would appreciate a comment on your experience.


Title: SpyderCube for white balance
Post by: michael on May 23, 2009, 12:06:32 pm
The Spydercube looks to be a very useful addition to ones arsenal. Our review will be online soon.

Michael

Title: SpyderCube for white balance
Post by: Hermie on May 25, 2009, 08:51:01 am
> ... but I wanted it just as much for measuring tonal range from deep shadow to specular highlights. I haven't had anything else that can do that consistently...

Although the SpyderCube is an improved version, you could have had the basICCaliCube about 4 years ago: http://www.basiccolor.de/english/basICCali...ube_index_E.htm (http://www.basiccolor.de/english/basICCaliCube_E/Cube_index_E.htm)

If only basICColor understood marketing as well as Datacolor does :-)

See also Steinmueller's 'review note': http://www.outbackphoto.com/CONTENT_2007_0...Cube/index.html (http://www.outbackphoto.com/CONTENT_2007_01/section_gear_cameras_2009/20090425_SpyderCube/index.html)
Title: SpyderCube for white balance
Post by: keith_cooper on May 30, 2009, 05:20:22 am
Quote from: Greg H.
Does anyone have experience with the SpyderCube for adjusting white balance?

SpyderCube (http://spyder.datacolor.com/product-cb-spydercube.php)
Yup, I've used it on quite a few jobs.

I recently wrote up a review of it:
SpyderCube review (http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/reviews/photography/spydercube.html)

Just make sure to use the mid-grey faces for white balance, since my measured spectral curves show the white as a tad warm.

It's a bit more conveniently sized to keep in the camera bag than my old Calicube.