Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: John R on May 20, 2009, 07:15:04 pm

Title: Experimental images
Post by: John R on May 20, 2009, 07:15:04 pm
Always like to try new things. Here are a few images.

Edited: added a few more images.

JMR
Title: Experimental images
Post by: RSL on May 20, 2009, 09:35:06 pm
The second one hurts my eyes but I think I like the first one. It looks like the kind of thing you used to be able to get in black and white by running the enlarger head up and down while exposing the paper.
Title: Experimental images
Post by: dalethorn on May 20, 2009, 10:32:12 pm
In one of the local photo clubs, we're discussing fireworks shooting techniques for the upcoming holiday in July. Although #1 probably isn't fireworks, it's similar, and looks pretty good.  #2 is good as an experiment, looking like a path through a park with a snow-like substance on the ground.  I usually don't like images with a lot of white, and I'd be inclined to reduce the white a bit, so I could see more detail in the sparkly stuff on the ground.
Title: Experimental images
Post by: John R on May 21, 2009, 05:26:23 pm
Quote from: RSL
The second one hurts my eyes but I think I like the first one. It looks like the kind of thing you used to be able to get in black and white by running the enlarger head up and down while exposing the paper.
The BW image looks a lot better in large format. I have replaced the the first image with a slightly sharpened version as it looks better in a small image.

JMR
Title: Experimental images
Post by: John R on May 21, 2009, 05:28:10 pm
Quote from: dalethorn
In one of the local photo clubs, we're discussing fireworks shooting techniques for the upcoming holiday in July. Although #1 probably isn't fireworks, it's similar, and looks pretty good.  #2 is good as an experiment, looking like a path through a park with a snow-like substance on the ground.  I usually don't like images with a lot of white, and I'd be inclined to reduce the white a bit, so I could see more detail in the sparkly stuff on the ground.
The white stuff is actually dandelions. And I think they look quite good in BW when counterposed against a green grass and trees. It is an Infrared look to bring out the ethereal qualities of the spring scene.

JMR
Title: Experimental images
Post by: Andres Bonilla on May 26, 2009, 09:13:33 pm
I actually like them all but #1 and #4 are wonderful.
Title: Experimental images
Post by: peteh on May 27, 2009, 02:03:34 am
I like and 3