Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Medium Format / Film / Digital Backs – and Large Sensor Photography => Topic started by: gebseng on May 14, 2009, 04:57:57 am

Title: attach laptop to tripod for tethered outdoor shooting?
Post by: gebseng on May 14, 2009, 04:57:57 am
Hi there,

I hope I chose the right category for this post...

I am doing architectural photography. I am looking for a solution to attach my (12") laptop to the side of my tripod (which, of course, has the view camera mounted on top), so that i can shoot tethered. Are there any ready-to-use solutions that you have heard of? any comments are highly appreciated,

geb
Title: attach laptop to tripod for tethered outdoor shooting?
Post by: Graham Mitchell on May 14, 2009, 05:20:10 am
Do you mean you would attach it to a tripod leg? That sounds a little awkward as it would have to be offset away from the leg a fair bit which might be a little unstable too. Mounting the laptop on top of a separate tripod/stand is easily done though. There is also this solution, but it might compromise a little stability. Some laptops vibrate with their fans and hard disks and that's the last thing you want for long exposures

(http://www.joemcnally.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/02/tripod-rig.jpg)

edit: the photo I posted seems to be down right now. I hope it reappears soon.
Title: attach laptop to tripod for tethered outdoor shooting?
Post by: Jonathan Wienke on May 14, 2009, 11:17:53 am
I'd use a second tripod/stand for two reasons:

1. The vibration of drives and fans could interfere with long exposures.

2. You aren't going to damage camera and laptop if one tripod tips over.

I have a spare tripod with no head, just a Bogen hex QR mount on top. I screwed a matching QR plate to the middle of a 15x20" piece of plywood, added some Velcro on the other side, and it makes a great adjustable-height laptop stand. As an added bonus, I Velcroed the controller for my studio lights next to the laptop. It's very handy.
Title: attach laptop to tripod for tethered outdoor shooting?
Post by: clawery on May 14, 2009, 12:17:24 pm
Quote from: Jonathan Wienke
I'd use a second tripod/stand for two reasons:

1. The vibration of drives and fans could interfere with long exposures.

2. You aren't going to damage camera and laptop if one tripod tips over.

I have a spare tripod with no head, just a Bogen hex QR mount on top. I screwed a matching QR plate to the middle of a 15x20" piece of plywood, added some Velcro on the other side, and it makes a great adjustable-height laptop stand. As an added bonus, I Velcroed the controller for my studio lights next to the laptop. It's very handy.

Bogen offers the G0654 Monitor Paltform that is 13" x 15.5" (33x40 cm). It lists for $97.00.  

[attachment=13663:Picture_3.png]

Chris Lawery(e-mail Me) (http://mailto:[email protected])
__________________
Sales Manager, Capture Integration
Phase One, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Eizo & More
National: 877.217.9870  |  Cell: 404.234.5195
Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up (http://www.captureintegration.com/our-company/newsletters/)
Title: attach laptop to tripod for tethered outdoor shooting?
Post by: Snook on May 14, 2009, 10:10:38 pm
Quote from: clawery
Bogen offers the G0654 Monitor Paltform that is 13" x 15.5" (33x40 cm). It lists for $97.00.  

[attachment=13663:Picture_3.png]

Chris Lawery(e-mail Me) (http://mailto:[email protected])
__________________
Sales Manager, Capture Integration
Phase One, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Eizo & More
National: 877.217.9870  |  Cell: 404.234.5195
Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up (http://www.captureintegration.com/our-company/newsletters/)

Chris do you know if they make one for the 17" MacBook Pro?
Thnaks
I am alos looking for a good option for the same application. I thought about Plywood, but I am more estectic and would pay for a Decent made One..
Snook
Title: attach laptop to tripod for tethered outdoor shooting?
Post by: michaelnotar on May 14, 2009, 10:37:46 pm
i like the plywood idea. but i would add some heavy duty straps or something to keep it securely on it.

on another note a good metal worker could make a heavy duty set up, perhaps with something like a matthalini that would hold on to it.

a buddy of mine was a location scout for a while, he had a laptop mount for his car between the driver and passenger seat. perhaps something like that could be used. i dont know who made it. it was really really well made tho.
Title: attach laptop to tripod for tethered outdoor shooting?
Post by: archivue on May 15, 2009, 02:48:20 am
i'm looking for the same stuff...

i've found that one... (ebay search : tripod + laptop)
laptop/tripod (http://cgi.ebay.com/Portable-Laptop-Tripod-and-Computer-Stand-STURDY_W0QQitemZ380115815178QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item5880ab0b0a&_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116#ht_1632wt_937)


but, i think i will go for something like that... and a gitzo.
desk only (http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-CAMERA-TRIPOD-PORTABLE-DESK-table-podium-laptop_W0QQitemZ390047399234QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item5ad0a2fd42&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1234%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50#ht_3632wt_938)




Title: attach laptop to tripod for tethered outdoor shooting?
Post by: Frank Doorhof on May 15, 2009, 06:17:05 am
I'm using a laptop case that unfolds with a hood and several pockets for extra battery and harddrives.
We ordered a tripod plate with it that holds the whole case with straps.
There's even a separate cloth delivered with it for when you need 100% darkness.
It fit's the 17"MBP nicely.

Will try to upload some links this night.
Title: attach laptop to tripod for tethered outdoor shooting?
Post by: BJNY on May 15, 2009, 06:23:02 am
I'll guess Frank is describing this case:

http://www.seaportdigital.com/ivisor-pro-ls-p-36.html (http://www.seaportdigital.com/ivisor-pro-ls-p-36.html)
Title: attach laptop to tripod for tethered outdoor shooting?
Post by: BJNY on May 15, 2009, 06:30:41 am
When I acquire a 15" or 17" Mac Book Pro,
I plan to experiment with epoxying a quick release plate to the bottom of one of these type cases :

http://www.speckproducts.com/products/seet...-black-keys/175 (http://www.speckproducts.com/products/seethru-satin/macbook-pro-17-aluminum-black-keys/175)

Slide a Lee bellows shade over the LCD,
and it could be the most compact solution?
Title: attach laptop to tripod for tethered outdoor shooting?
Post by: michaelbiondo on May 15, 2009, 07:03:30 am
I put this together a few years ago and so far it has worked out well. A bogen laptop plate bolted to a pelican 1495 with a lightware shade on top of a gitzo tripod with a manfrotto head.
Laptop is raised off the bottom of the case by hard rubber blocks and I use  2"velcro strips to secure the computer to the blocks. Seems pretty secure, particuarly with the sandbag. Works for both the 15 & 17 inch. lots of room inside the case for a back up mini drive and cardreader (if you are not shooting teathered)

[attachment=13689:IMG_0424.jpg]
Title: attach laptop to tripod for tethered outdoor shooting?
Post by: Frank Doorhof on May 15, 2009, 07:29:26 am
@BJNY,
that's the one.
Title: attach laptop to tripod for tethered outdoor shooting?
Post by: Jonathan Wienke on May 15, 2009, 09:29:41 am
Quote from: michaelnotar
i like the plywood idea. but i would add some heavy duty straps or something to keep it securely on it.

Velcro works pretty well; you can turn the platform upside-down and the laptop will hang there if you use the right amount. Too much, and removal can be difficult...
Title: attach laptop to tripod for tethered outdoor shooting?
Post by: clawery on May 15, 2009, 01:00:29 pm
Quote from: Snook
Chris do you know if they make one for the 17" MacBook Pro?
Thnaks
I am alos looking for a good option for the same application. I thought about Plywood, but I am more estectic and would pay for a Decent made One..
Snook


Snook,

At this time I can not find a 17" version of the laptop mount.  I have seen some shooters add large Velcro straps just to make sure their laptops are secure.

Chris Lawery(e-mail Me) (http://mailto:[email protected])
__________________
Sales Manager, Capture Integration
Phase One, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Eizo & More
National: 877.217.9870  |  Cell: 404.234.5195
Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up (http://www.captureintegration.com/our-company/newsletters/)
Title: attach laptop to tripod for tethered outdoor shooting?
Post by: RJW on August 18, 2009, 11:32:43 pm
For your 17" laptop .... check out the 15.75 x 11.0 inch tray from Tabelz.com or the Delvcam UTT-1 which is 16.75 x 16.75 and available at B&H (and other places).  The Tabelz tray has a non-skid pad.  Both are head mounted.