Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Medium Format / Film / Digital Backs – and Large Sensor Photography => Topic started by: michele on May 14, 2009, 02:53:40 am

Title: Mamiya 35mm "D"
Post by: michele on May 14, 2009, 02:53:40 am
Hello folks,
do you know if phase one is thinking about producing a new Digital 35mm for the mamiya? I have a good copy of this lens, but is an "analogic" lens and there is a huge difference from the 80 D that is quite good... The 28 it's too much wide for my needs and for 6000 euro is not a funny joke...The 45 is too long...  The 35 is perfect for me, it's just too poor for my P45...
Many thanks
Title: Mamiya 35mm "D"
Post by: Snook on May 14, 2009, 09:12:29 am
Quote from: michele
Hello folks,
do you know if phase one is thinking about producing a new Digital 35mm for the mamiya? I have a good copy of this lens, but is an "analogic" lens and there is a huge difference from the 80 D that is quite good... The 28 it's too much wide for my needs and for 6000 euro is not a funny joke...The 45 is too long...  The 35 is perfect for me, it's just too poor for my P45...
Many thanks

You think a 35mm "D" will be less than 6000 euros??? NOT
The whole medium format market is a complete JOKE right now and they will all be going down the drain quite fast.
Mamiya has been promising a new lens line up for several year now with out anything.
 Anything new from Mmaiya or anybody in the MFDB world will be $$$$$$$$ first of b/c that market is getting smaller every minute...

Snook

PS> DO not hold your breather for anything new!

Title: Mamiya 35mm "D"
Post by: Steve Hendrix on May 14, 2009, 10:44:52 am
Quote from: Snook
You think a 35mm "D" will be less than 6000 euros??? NOT
The whole medium format market is a complete JOKE right now and they will all be going down the drain quite fast.
Mamiya has been promising a new lens line up for several year now with out anything.
 Anything new from Mmaiya or anybody in the MFDB world will be $$$$$$$$ first of b/c that market is getting smaller every minute...

Snook

PS> DO not hold your breather for anything new!


Well I can't say I exactly agree with you Snook.

In the past 2 years 5 new "D" lenses have been released with the following prices (Phase One versions, not Mamiya):

$4,490: 28mm/f4
$1,990: 45mm/f2.8
$1,290: 80mm/f2.8
$2,290: 120mm/f4
$3,090: 150mm/f2.8

All of these come with 3 year warranties standard, btw, if purchased under the Phase One moniker. Many of the D lenses, while more expensive than the non-D, are not monstrously so. And with the 28mm below $4,500 USD, I would expect the 35mm D to be nowhere near the price range you described.


Steve Hendrix
Phase One
Title: Mamiya 35mm "D"
Post by: michele on May 14, 2009, 12:11:37 pm
Well, as a customer, i'm puzzled about mamiya/phaseone lenses... I love my phase back, but i'm feeding it with lenses that are really limited... Hasselblad has a huge Digital lenses line up! I know that things are not easy at the top, but it's very frustrating being a PhaseOne owner these days...
The 35mm from Hasselblad it's 3300 euro tax included, Italy prices. Ok, I'd like to pay 3300 euro for a digital 35mm for my phaseone camera... Oh, a good 35mm, not like the 45 that seems to have the same old glasses but in a new body. Or maybe we have to end up doing the Avedon's stuff with a view camera and an HR lens to feed the back...
I just hope phase will listen and gives us some good short lens!
Title: Mamiya 35mm "D"
Post by: Ken Doo on May 14, 2009, 06:51:08 pm
Quote from: Steve Hendrix/Phase One
Well I can't say I exactly agree with you Snook.

In the past 2 years 5 new "D" lenses have been released with the following prices (Phase One versions, not Mamiya):

$4,490: 28mm/f4
$1,990: 45mm/f2.8
$1,290: 80mm/f2.8
$2,290: 120mm/f4
$3,090: 150mm/f2.8

All of these come with 3 year warranties standard, btw, if purchased under the Phase One moniker. Many of the D lenses, while more expensive than the non-D, are not monstrously so. And with the 28mm below $4,500 USD, I would expect the 35mm D to be nowhere near the price range you described.


Steve Hendrix
Phase One


Steve---how could you forget the 75-150 lens!  This new D series lens is stellar an stays on my Phase 645AF camera body the most....

I'd love to see a new "D series" 35mm though.....

 
Title: Mamiya 35mm "D"
Post by: Steve Hendrix on May 14, 2009, 07:22:29 pm
Quote from: kdphotography
Steve---how could you forget the 75-150 lens!  This new D series lens is stellar an stays on my Phase 645AF camera body the most....

I'd love to see a new "D series" 35mm though.....

 

Whoops - you are correct. This lens just recently showed up as a Phase One version lens with the 3 year warranty.

Thanks for the reminder.


Steve Hendrix
Phase One