Luminous Landscape Forum
Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: cocasana on May 11, 2009, 10:46:22 pm
-
I print with an Epson 3800 and I'm looking for a really glossy HW paper. Something above 300gr. I've already tried Epson's Hannemuhle's, Moab's, Canson's, Ileford's. All are excellent paper but there must be something even more glossy out there...
Thanks, Carlo
-
I print with an Epson 3800 and I'm looking for a really glossy HW paper. Something above 300gr. I've already tried Epson's Hannemuhle's, Moab's, Canson's, Ileford's. All are excellent paper but there must be something even more glossy out there...
Thanks, Carlo
Looking at the test prints I did over the weekend on a wide range of papers the two glossiest I have are:
Kirkland Signature Glossy Inkjet Photo Paper
Moab Lasal Photo Gloss
Both are plastic-y like RC paper from the darkroom era. There's no mistaking it: they are GLOSSY.
Neil
-
The weights on those are 270 and 255gsm respectively, by the way. I'm not aware of anything as heavy as 300+gsm that is super glossy. Perhaps others have suggestions.
Neil
-
The weights on those are 270 and 255gsm respectively, by the way. I'm not aware of anything as heavy as 300+gsm that is super glossy. Perhaps others have suggestions.
Neil
Thank you so much Neil! I will test the first one, I already did test the Moab Lasal, but actually I was looking for something more heavy!
Thanks again
Carlo
-
Harman Glossy FB AI is 320gsm
Pictorico Pro Hi-Gloss Photo Paper 290gsm
Why the need for so heavy?
-
Pictorico has a high gloss photo paper that claims 11.4 mil thickness and 290gsm:
http://www.pictorico.com/index.asp?PageAct...amp;Category=66 (http://www.pictorico.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=66)
I haven't tried it, though. Can't comment on how glossy. Most high gloss papers I've used are really quite thin, like Ilford galerie high-gloss.
Product specs are here:
http://www.pictorico.com/resources/pictori...ationEdited.pdf (http://www.pictorico.com/resources/pictorico/ProductSpecificationEdited.pdf)
Second table, Pro High-Gloss Photo Paper.
-
Thank you so much Neil! I will test the first one, I already did test the Moab Lasal, but actually I was looking for something more heavy!
Thanks again
Carlo
The Kirkland Signature paper isn't as heavy as the Lasal. If you didn't like the Lasal, the Kirkland Signature won't work.
Neil
-
Harman's Glossy FB is quote smooth/glossy - in fact so much so that I didn't care for it.
The Pictorico stuff is about as glossy as you can get. You're going to have wicked gloss-differential problems with it using Epson pigment inks though, and I don't know how archival it is (it's not a rag paper, either).
-
Thank you guys for your advise! I will give them a try. Harman (Glossy FB AI is 320gsm( one seems to be he most glossy/H one!
-
I print with an Epson 3800 and I'm looking for a really glossy HW paper. Something above 300gr. I've already tried Epson's Hannemuhle's, Moab's, Canson's, Ileford's. All are excellent paper but there must be something even more glossy out there...
Thanks, Carlo
Hi Carlo,
Have you tried the HIGH GLoss Film from Ilford (Galerie Smooth High Gloss, Orange box). It may not meet your weight requirements but it is really a true hogh gloss media.
Tom
-
I print with an Epson 3800 and I'm looking for a really glossy HW paper. Something above 300gr. I've already tried Epson's Hannemuhle's, Moab's, Canson's, Ileford's. All are excellent paper but there must be something even more glossy out there...
Thanks, Carlo
Have you tried Canon Heavyweight Glossy, a 300gsm glossy paper, only comes in 100 ft rolls. but has a good DMax and hold highlights OK, also about $50. Other than that Harman Glossy Baryta is the only other I have come across that meets your specs.
Tom
-
....Have you tried Canon Heavyweight Glossy, a 300gsm glossy paper.....
That's pretty decent! Epson's Premium Glossy comes in at 250gsm.
-
Just got a sample of this: InkPress ProGloss. 12mils/330 gsm. Haven't priced it yet, but Inkpress princes are usually extremely attractive.