Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Medium Format / Film / Digital Backs – and Large Sensor Photography => Topic started by: photolinia on May 07, 2009, 08:41:35 pm

Title: H3DII lens question
Post by: photolinia on May 07, 2009, 08:41:35 pm
Hello,
I have been looking around at second hand H3D-II cameras.  Most come with an 80mm 2.8.
I will probably need to get more lenses, but I am completely ignorant of the types of lenses that will work on this camera.
I know there are some HC lenses and some H lenses - what are the differences?
Also, I know there is an adaptor of some sort that will enable this camera to work with some of the older lenses.  
What older lenses could I use and would any of them have AF.

Also, can anyone suggest a good place to look for used lenses? - 110 f2.2 in particular.
thanks,
-ilya
Title: H3DII lens question
Post by: John.Williams on May 07, 2009, 11:59:12 pm
Quote from: photolinia
Hello,
I have been looking around at second hand H3D-II cameras.  Most come with an 80mm 2.8.
I will probably need to get more lenses, but I am completely ignorant of the types of lenses that will work on this camera.
I know there are some HC lenses and some H lenses - what are the differences?
Also, I know there is an adaptor of some sort that will enable this camera to work with some of the older lenses.  
What older lenses could I use and would any of them have AF.

Also, can anyone suggest a good place to look for used lenses? - 110 f2.2 in particular.
thanks,
-ilya

There are (9) prime lenses, (2) zooms, (3) extension tubes, (1) teleconverter (1.7x), (2) lens adaptors (HTS, CF-lens)
[blockquote]1. HCD 28mm f/4.0
2. HC 35mm f/3.5
3. HC 50mm f/3.5
4. HC 80mm f/2.8
5. HC 100mm f/2.2
6. HC 120 Macro f/4.0
7. HC 150N mm f/3.2
8. HC 210mm f/4.0
9. HC 300mm f/4.5
10. HC 50-110 Zoom f/3.5-4.5
11. HCD 35-90 Zoom f/4.0-5.6[/blockquote]

HCD designates requires H3D platform, all others H1, H2, H3D. HC and H used interchangeably when referring to these lenses (HC is technically correct.) The 80mm is the standard focal length for the H-system (and classic Victor systems.)

The CF-lens adaptor is used to adapt the Carl Zeiss C and CF lenses to any H-system. Viewfinder will report focus confirmation (these lenses are manual focus) and the H-system will record the type of lens attached (if you specify after attaching on the top menu.) Manual re-cock of the lens is accomplished with a lever on the left side.

The HTS 1.5 is the tilt/shift adaptor and is compatible with the 28mm, 35mm, 50mm, 80mm, and 100mm lenses. It will work with any H-system with any back, digital or film. H3D systems will automatically record the XYZ data for distortion corrections and others can retrieve these figures from the display menu on the top of the H-body.

Quiet lenses (Mirror up - just a tiny click when the shutter opens and closes) and can flashsync to 1/800th

-John
hotwire-digital
Title: H3DII lens question
Post by: Dick Roadnight on May 08, 2009, 06:16:45 am
I have the

HC 50-110 Zoom f/3.5-4.5

and the

CF-lens adaptor and 4 Carl Zeiss CF lenses (40, 80, Macro-planar 120, 250)

...and a Sinar P3 to put the DCU on, and a set of apo-digitar lenses.

I have not had this kit long, but please contact me if I can answer any questions.
Title: H3DII lens question
Post by: Cfranson on May 08, 2009, 08:34:23 am
Quote from: John.Williams
HCD designates requires H3D platform, all others H1, H2, H3D.
HCD lenses will also work with the Hasselblad CF Series backs when used on the H2F, and I think on the H2D series if they are using a recent firmware, but I can't find that particular documentation right this minute. I am certain about the H2F being compatible though.
Title: H3DII lens question
Post by: Dustbak on May 08, 2009, 10:32:00 am
I use H2F with CF backs together with a HCD28. Yes, it works.
Title: H3DII lens question
Post by: Cfranson on May 08, 2009, 10:36:29 am
Quote from: Dustbak
I use H2F with CF backs together with a HCD28. Yes, it works.
Sorry, my previous message wasn't clear. The HCD lenses do work on H2F without a problem. I'm uncertain if H2D has gained compatibility with later firmware updates.
Title: H3DII lens question
Post by: photolinia on May 08, 2009, 05:47:32 pm
Thank you for all the info!  This is great.

So which of the lenses are "quiet"?  I thought all of the Hasselblad lenses went up to the 1/800th shutter speed....

Also, how do Carl Zeiss lenses comapre the the hasselblad lenses?  Are they cheaper/better/ are there more of them?
or is the compatibility done just so people can utilize their old existing lenses with the H3d?

Does anyone know where I can find a good second hand 100mm f/2.2?  What is a decent price for one?

Thanks a lot!
-ilya
Title: H3DII lens question
Post by: MarkKay on May 09, 2009, 12:00:55 am
I tried some of the Zeiss lenses -- 40mm and 50mm and was not that impressed compared to the HC lenses. Using  the CF adapter got to be a pain.  Now my understanding is that the newer Zeiss  40mm IF lens is supposed to be outstanding but it is very pricey.

I have used all the HC lenses with the exception of the new 35-90 zoom.  I am impressed with all of them.  The 100mm 2.2 lens is  great and with the 1.7x TC adapter was as good as the 150mm lens. THe lenses I have now are the 28, 50-110, 80, 100, 120macro, and 210mm.  I sold the 300 because I rarely used it. I use the 210 with the 1.7x with great results. I sold my 50mm because optically as good as the zoom (but smaller). I might pick another up because I want something in between the 28mm and 80mm for use with the 1.5HTS.  

Quote from: photolinia
Thank you for all the info!  This is great.

So which of the lenses are "quiet"?  I thought all of the Hasselblad lenses went up to the 1/800th shutter speed....

Also, how do Carl Zeiss lenses comapre the the hasselblad lenses?  Are they cheaper/better/ are there more of them?
or is the compatibility done just so people can utilize their old existing lenses with the H3d?

Does anyone know where I can find a good second hand 100mm f/2.2?  What is a decent price for one?

Thanks a lot!
-ilya
Title: H3DII lens question
Post by: Dick Roadnight on May 09, 2009, 06:45:54 am
Quote from: MarkKay
I tried some of the Zeiss lenses -- 40mm and 50mm and was not that impressed compared to the HC lenses. Using  the CF adapter got to be a pain.  Now my understanding is that the newer Zeiss  40mm IF lens is supposed to be outstanding but it is very pricey.
I have a Distagon 40, but I do not know if it is one of the "newer" one to which you refer.
Title: H3DII lens question
Post by: jing q on May 09, 2009, 01:09:55 pm
Quote from: Cfranson
HCD lenses will also work with the Hasselblad CF Series backs when used on the H2F, and I think on the H2D series if they are using a recent firmware, but I can't find that particular documentation right this minute. I am certain about the H2F being compatible though.

there's an earlier post by the hassy rep here ...firmware 9.4.0 seems to add compatibility with HCD lenses to the H1 H2 bodies???
can we confirm this???that would make the camera attractive...if it can be used with the 35-90mm