Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Adobe Lightroom Q&A => Topic started by: Robert-Peter Westphal on May 04, 2009, 02:04:11 pm

Title: black- and whitepoint in Lr compared to CaptureNX2
Post by: Robert-Peter Westphal on May 04, 2009, 02:04:11 pm
Hello,

when I have pictures with a colorcast, I can explicite set white - and blackpoint within CaptureNX2 and the colorcast s gone.

For this, I switch to double threshold, move the sliders beyond the histogram as long as the first white and black spots appear in the image. Then I set a whitepoint-upoint into the first white spot and a blackpoint u-point into the first appearing blackpoint. After unchecking the checkbox double threshold, the result is that any color cast has been removed and the contrast has been optimized.

Is there any similiar thing you can do in Lr 2.3 ?

Best wishes

Robert
Title: black- and whitepoint in Lr compared to CaptureNX2
Post by: madmanchan on May 05, 2009, 08:33:36 am
Maybe you could post an example image of said color cast. It'll be easier that way to determine whether the required type of color cast removal can be done in LR.
Title: black- and whitepoint in Lr compared to CaptureNX2
Post by: Robert-Peter Westphal on May 05, 2009, 12:44:42 pm
Quote from: madmanchan
Maybe you could post an example image of said color cast. It'll be easier that way to determine whether the required type of color cast removal can be done in LR.

Hi,

I don't have an example here at hand at the moment, but Moose Peterson shows here in this video what I'm talking about :

Remove Color Cast by Capture NX2 (http://www.moosepeterson.com/D3/media_center/NT2_CC/NT2_CC.htm)

Best wishes

Robert
Title: black- and whitepoint in Lr compared to CaptureNX2
Post by: HickersonJasonC on May 05, 2009, 04:54:10 pm
Quote from: Robby
Hi,

I don't have an example here at hand at the moment, but Moose Peterson shows here in this video what I'm talking about :

Remove Color Cast by Capture NX2 (http://www.moosepeterson.com/D3/media_center/NT2_CC/NT2_CC.htm)

Best wishes

Robert

So long as you've got something in the image that you want white (like white feathers), why not just use the white balance tool (eyedropper) and set white point (exposure slider, hold down alt for threshold) and black point (black, hold down alt) to get a very similar result?

BTW, his justification for not using an expodisk or color checker is silly, "I don't think that bald eagle was going to hold still while I put a color checker in there." You don't need the subject in the frame to use either of these.

I'm sure what he does works well for him. However, the same end result is easily reachable through just about any raw developer nowadays.