Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: dalethorn on May 04, 2009, 12:34:53 am

Title: Green Lilypads at Wetlands
Post by: dalethorn on May 04, 2009, 12:34:53 am
Not much to say here - just trying to capture an interesting pattern in the lilypads.
Title: Green Lilypads at Wetlands
Post by: wolfnowl on May 04, 2009, 02:08:11 am
Nice shapes.  To me the water's a little green too; if it was mine I'd probably want to darken the water somewhat.

Mike.
Title: Green Lilypads at Wetlands
Post by: John R on May 04, 2009, 11:50:25 am
If we assume the white areas are reflected clouds, which I think they are, I would suggest they make the wonderful tri-leaf pattern appear somewhat static because they pull the eye out sideways.

JMR
Title: Green Lilypads at Wetlands
Post by: dalethorn on May 04, 2009, 04:52:37 pm
Thanks for both critiques.  Here's another with a less-green background.  One of the big problems I've had with small digital cameras has been a brigh color in one object carrying over to other objects in the image.  Even worse has been the inability of the little cameras to get a capture of something like an all-red flower and not suffer severe smear to the point where I can see very little detail.  I don't know if the better DSLR's get around these problems entirely, or whether users just expect to fix all of that in Photoshop.

Some of the smaller whitish streaks close to the lilypads are reflections, but most of the larger blurred white stuff is in the water.  At least that's what I remember from the shoot, but now the question is making me wonder just where one begins and the other ends.

BTW, I've been experimenting with the local contrast enhancement tip described on the main page, using Unsharp Mask, and it's the best quick-fix tip I've found in the past couple of years.