Luminous Landscape Forum
Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Adobe Lightroom Q&A => Topic started by: Farkled on April 30, 2009, 05:01:18 pm
-
I've just discovered that every folder I've renamed from within Lightroom (V2.3 64 bit) has been physically duplicated on my disk. This at the cost of a hundred or more GB in space. I do not think this is normal but neither do I think I'm doing something wrong. So unless LR is messing up, one of those two assumptions is wrong.
Have just discovered that I cannot delete the original (duplicate) directory
Need help! TIA
Am running Vista 64 w/NTFS file system on a Dell Quadcore if that helps
Lightroom version of the Folder Tree
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3578/348893..._beaf1201b3.jpg (http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3578/3488931110_beaf1201b3.jpg)
OS version of the same tree
Look at the dates in the filename. Renamed version follows with text addition
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3616/348892..._1e1046eb0a.jpg (http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3616/3488920152_1e1046eb0a.jpg)
-
Windows Explorer - Press F5 to refresh the folder tree view panel.
I ran into the issue of the renamed folder not being found by LR. Find folder... didn't work. Shut down LR and restarted all was OK.
LR2.3 - Vista 64
-
I have refreshed and rebooted many times. The folders are still there - despite many attempts at deletion. I am beginning to think that LR has somehow messed up the NTFS filing system - except for the fact that space appears to be consumed.
-
Are you sure that you didn't import with the option "Copy to new Location"?
However, assuming it's the renaming as you suspect, can you repeat the process with some test images?
John
-
Are you sure that you didn't import with the option "Copy to new Location"?
However, assuming it's the renaming as you suspect, can you repeat the process with some test images?
John
I haven't specifically tried to do that since I discovered the problem, bit I have to believe the answer is YES. To what end would I do that?
-
Proof of exactly what's happening, and that it can't be dismissed as user error
-
Proof of exactly what's happening, and that it can't be dismissed as user error
Started to do that and discovered that problem was that the entire folder and been set to read-only - which I guess means read & write but not change. Changed properties and all is well. Thanks for the help.
-
Started to do that and discovered that problem was that the entire folder and been set to read-only - which I guess means read & write but not change. Changed properties and all is well. Thanks for the help.
Lately I've been having permissions problems when transferring lrctg 's from Windows XP via Ethernet on a LAN to Mac volumes. The permissions fall into read only even though the user sharepoint has read write permissions. Maybe this indicates a set up problem in our systems , yet if it is seem many times it may be LightRoom too. I just change the permissions to read write and all is fine too on the MAc and or other PCs.
-
Lately I've been having permissions problems when transferring lrctg 's from Windows XP via Ethernet on a LAN to Mac volumes. The permissions fall into read only even though the user sharepoint has read write permissions. Maybe this indicates a set up problem in our systems , yet if it is seem many times it may be LightRoom too. I just change the permissions to read write and all is fine too on the MAc and or other PCs.
I have no way of proving it, but I suspect that the problem originated when I moved the main image folder from a USB drive to the internal hard drive. Not sure why single-user LR would mess with folder permissions anyway.
-
Well, apparently the attribute reset did not "take". Bothersome. There is only one user defined on the system and that is the administrator. Unable to reset even using attrib command. I am not now convinced that it is even part of the problem since the issue seems to occur only with LR folder renames.
What does point to an OS problem is the inability to delete the original folder after rename
-
Right-Click on the lowest folder in your image lib, think it was 2009 - the flicker image is missing.
Select Properties
Select the Security tab
Select your username
Assure Fullcontrol is selected.
When prompted to apply to all subfolders agree.
NTFS is a highly secure filesystem and it will respect and maintain the permissions of the source when copied.
-
I've now narrowed the problem to a probable fault at the OS level. LR duplicates folders which can not then be deleted. Using the OS to create a folder and then rename does not cause a duplication, but I cannot delete it either. I am really green when it comes to Vista so I would very much appreciate some pointers to resources where I might work out this problem. I am going to estimatge that I have appx 50 gb tied up in the wasted space of no deleteble files and duplicate folders.
TIA
-
Highly doubtful of an OS level (which the OS has little to do with this - it would be a FS "File System" fault if anything). NTFS is as bullet proof as they came, your admission of being "really green" is the culprit. Don't take it personally - you simply need to learn a few things.
Did you assure that the User you login as has full control on all of the images and folders in your folder structure?
Do you login to your PC or do you have it skip login and simply go to the desktop?
Does your User account have Administrative privileges? If not you may need to set this to make the needed changes. Do a google search.
-
Highly doubtful of an OS level (which the OS has little to do with this - it would be a FS "File System" fault if anything). NTFS is as bullet proof as they came, your admission of being "really green" is the culprit. Don't take it personally - you simply need to learn a few things.
Did you assure that the User you login as has full control on all of the images and folders in your folder structure?
Do you login to your PC or do you have it skip login and simply go to the desktop?
Does your User account have Administrative privileges? If not you may need to set this to make the needed changes. Do a google search.
There is only one user on the system: the administrator and that is who I log in as. The property sheets say that I have full control and total access.
Interestingly, LR can delete files while Explorer cannot. Explorer does not duplicate folders when renaming but LR does. Somebody is not playing with the same rule book.