Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Adobe Lightroom Q&A => Topic started by: JDClements on April 30, 2009, 11:55:05 am

Title: Where is the GPS data?
Post by: JDClements on April 30, 2009, 11:55:05 am
I have images with GPS data embedded in the EXIF, but this field does not show up in the metadata pane. , but I don't see it now. Any ideas? (http://lightroom-news.com/2007/03/23/gps-metadata-in-lightroom-and-google-maps/I know it used to be there[/url)
Title: Where is the GPS data?
Post by: john beardsworth on April 30, 2009, 12:13:42 pm
In Metadata panel, switch to the EXIF view. If the selected image contains GPS, then it'll be shown at the bottom.

John
Title: Where is the GPS data?
Post by: JDClements on April 30, 2009, 01:15:25 pm
Looks like the program I was using to write the GPS data (Geosetter (http://www.geosetter.de/en/)) wasn't actually writing the data to the spot I thought it was. I was trying to embed the data in a CR2 file. It works within Geosetter, but when I view the EXIF data the GPS data is not there.

But, it must be there somewhere, because when I exported a JPG from the CR2 file within Lightroom, the JPG has all the GPS data present.

I tested the JPG in Lightroom, and the GPS data shows up and works perfectly.

Hmmm.
Title: Where is the GPS data?
Post by: JDClements on April 30, 2009, 06:19:32 pm
I've done some more testing, and this is not working in LR.

I have added GPS data using Geotag. I am using exiftool (with exiftoolgui) to confirm that the data is present and correct in the file. For CR2 files, the GPS data is written in the XMP sidecar file. For DNG files and TIF files, it is written into the file itself. In all three cases, Lightroom does not show the GPS line in the metadata panel.
Title: Where is the GPS data?
Post by: john beardsworth on April 30, 2009, 06:45:19 pm
I use both HoudahGeo on Mac, and Geosetter on Windows, to add GPS to DNG files. I checked my LR catalogue before replying.
Title: Where is the GPS data?
Post by: Geoff Samuels on April 30, 2009, 06:46:40 pm
Quote from: JDClements
I've done some more testing, and this is not working in LR.

I have added GPS data using Geotag. I am using exiftool (with exiftoolgui) to confirm that the data is present and correct in the file. For CR2 files, the GPS data is written in the XMP sidecar file. For DNG files and TIF files, it is written into the file itself. In all three cases, Lightroom does not show the GPS line in the metadata panel.

Have you tried the Metadata menu command: Metadata -> Read Metadata from File ?
Title: Where is the GPS data?
Post by: JDClements on April 30, 2009, 08:05:23 pm
Quote from: geoffsamuels
Have you tried the Metadata menu command: Metadata -> Read Metadata from File ?

Nope, but I have now and that's the ticket!

I guess the metadata is stored in the database, and if it changes in the file, the database doesn't know it. Thanks for the tip!
Title: Where is the GPS data?
Post by: john beardsworth on May 01, 2009, 03:26:05 am
If you add GPS after the file is imported into LR, then you do need to use that Read Metadata command. Unlike a browser such as Bridge, LR doesn't re-read the metadata each time you go to a file.

However also understand that Read Metadata reads all metadata including any adjustments that may be in the XMP sidecars or embedded in a file. So it can overwrite any adjustments that are currently in Lightroom, because that's what Read Metadata told it to do. To deal with this, it's important to get the sequence right - first use Save Metadata, so your current Lightroom adjustments etc are sent back to the file, then Read Metadata to bring in your GPS.

John
Title: Where is the GPS data?
Post by: JDClements on May 01, 2009, 09:38:24 am
LR seems to do its writing fairly quickly. I just did a test, and LR updated the XMP file within about 10 seconds of the actual edit.