Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Medium Format / Film / Digital Backs – and Large Sensor Photography => Topic started by: Henry Goh on April 30, 2009, 01:50:03 am

Title: Phaseone releases Capture Pro V4.8
Post by: Henry Goh on April 30, 2009, 01:50:03 am
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0904/09042902...aptureone48.asp (http://www.dpreview.com/news/0904/09042902phaseonecaptureone48.asp)

I cannot find the info on PO site
Title: Phaseone releases Capture Pro V4.8
Post by: Colorwave on April 30, 2009, 03:15:54 am
4.7 has been out for a couple of weeks now, right?  I'm sitting this one out and waiting for 4.9 early next week.
Title: Phaseone releases Capture Pro V4.8
Post by: clawery on April 30, 2009, 08:00:11 am
Quote from: Colorwave
4.7 has been out for a couple of weeks now, right?  I'm sitting this one out and waiting for 4.9 early next week.

You can download the Mac or PC version from Phase One's web site:

http://www.phaseone.com/Content/Downloads/CO4.aspx (http://www.phaseone.com/Content/Downloads/CO4.aspx)



Capture One 4.8 release notes
 
Introduction
Newly architected Capture One 4 allows photographers to enhance and develop RAW digital files with
excellent color and detail reproduction. Providing best possible image quality is a cornerstone in
Capture One. Tools for this and excellent “out-of-the-box” results are part of the new Capture One 4.
 
Capture One 4 is designed with an easy workflow in mind, and the simplified new user interface
leaves more of the screen area to your images.  
 
Highlighted new features
This new release of Capture One comes in three versions: 4.8, 4.8 PRO and 4.8 DB.
 
Capture One 4.8 is a free service release to existing Capture One 4.x owners.
 
Existing customers with Capture One 3.x can upgrade to a similar version of Capture One 4.8 at no
extra cost.
 
Capture One 4.8 includes:
 
- Localized versions of the application and user documentation into:
o Chinese (simplified), Czech, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Spanish and
Swedish.
 
- New cameras supported
o Phase One P 40+ incl. tethered capture
o Olympus E-620
 
- Image Quality improvements
o Enhancements for P65+
o Enhancements for Leica D-LUX 4
o Color enhancements for Olympus E-30
o Improved colors for jpeg and tiff files
 
- Speed improvements
 
- Bugfixes
 
You can learn more about the new release at: http://www.phaseone.com/4 (http://www.phaseone.com/4)  

Our tech, Doug Peterson, can help you with any questions that you may have also.


Chris Lawery(e-mail Me) (http://mailto:[email protected])
__________________
Sales Manager, Capture Integration
Phase One, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Eizo & More
National: 877.217.9870  |  Cell: 404.234.5195
Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up (http://www.captureintegration.com/our-company/newsletters/)


 
Title: Phaseone releases Capture Pro V4.8
Post by: R_Medvid on April 30, 2009, 08:11:59 am
2 months after I filed a bug report and through a couple of updates -- the bug is still there.

Until some rough bugs will be eliminated, I'm not going further than a trial version of the program  
Title: Phaseone releases Capture Pro V4.8
Post by: selsoe on April 30, 2009, 08:39:27 am
Quote from: R_Medvid
2 months after I filed a bug report and through a couple of updates -- the bug is still there.

My trial version keeps to be a trial version  

Is the bug that your trial never expires or something else? Are you running Mac or Win?
Title: Phaseone releases Capture Pro V4.8
Post by: tho_mas on April 30, 2009, 08:42:28 am
Quote from: clawery
Localized versions of the application and user documentation into:
o Chinese (simplified), Czech, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Spanish and
Swedish.
how to switch to English?

Quote from: clawery
Bugfixes
which ones?

Thanks!
Title: Phaseone releases Capture Pro V4.8
Post by: selsoe on April 30, 2009, 08:53:09 am
Quote from: tho_mas
how to switch to English?

 which ones?

Thanks!

Regarding language:
On Mac it is determined by the order of the Languages in System Preferences -> International (top most language that CO supports is chosen)
On Windows, you can choose language in the application preferences.

Regarding bugfixes:
Since it doesn't say, you can assume it's stability improvements and minor annoyances that has been fixed, I'd say.
Title: Phaseone releases Capture Pro V4.8
Post by: R_Medvid on April 30, 2009, 08:53:32 am
Quote from: selsoe
Is the bug that your trial never expires or something else? Are you running Mac or Win?

No, I meant that I'm not buying this software until they get rid of this and other ridiculous bugs.

The bug that I filed the case with PO Support is described here (http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=33516&st=80&p=274209&#entry274209)

Basically, it's the wrong display of color tagged groups.
Title: Phaseone releases Capture Pro V4.8
Post by: tho_mas on April 30, 2009, 09:18:47 am
Quote from: selsoe
On Mac it is determined by the order of the Languages in System Preferences -> International (top most language that CO supports is chosen)
Thanks a lot!
So the change is system wide... no change solely for the application...  
Title: Phaseone releases Capture Pro V4.8
Post by: selsoe on April 30, 2009, 09:24:19 am
Quote from: tho_mas
Thanks a lot!
So the change is system wide... no change solely for the application...  

It's standard Mac convention. You set up system wide language preferences/priorities and installed applications should follow your priorities.
Title: Phaseone releases Capture Pro V4.8
Post by: Doug Peterson on April 30, 2009, 10:05:37 am
Quote from: R_Medvid
2 months after I filed a bug report and through a couple of updates -- the bug is still there.

Until some rough bugs will be eliminated, I'm not going further than a trial version of the program  

Two months is really a very very short a time in terms of software development and non-critical bug fixes.

Just look at how long it takes Apple to fix bugs in the OS or Aperture.

Phase has a list of improvements, bug fixes, and new features as well as a constant quest to increase processing quality, UI speed, and stability.

One of the frustrating parts being a middle-man (so to speak) between Phase and End Users is the perception on the end users part that Phase doesn't listen, when in fact they are listening, but any given End User expects their bug, or their improvement, or their feature to be added first.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me) (http://mailto:[email protected])
__________________
Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
Phase One, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Eizo & More
National: 877.217.9870  |  Cell: 740.707.2183
Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up (http://www.captureintegration.com/our-company/newsletters/)
Title: Phaseone releases Capture Pro V4.8
Post by: selsoe on April 30, 2009, 10:33:57 am
Quote from: R_Medvid
No, I meant that I'm not buying this software until they get rid of this and other ridiculous bugs.

The bug that I filed the case with PO Support is described here (http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=33516&st=80&p=274209&#entry274209)

Basically, it's the wrong display of color tagged groups.

Regarding the processing bug you mention: The PS output file is 4 times as large as the CO4 output file. The compression is obviously more agressive in the CO4 output. Maybe I'm misunderstanding something, but have you tried setting the compression level in CO4 to something that results in a similar sized file?
Title: Phaseone releases Capture Pro V4.8
Post by: R_Medvid on April 30, 2009, 01:20:26 pm
Quote from: dougpetersonci
Two months is really a very very short a time in terms of software development and non-critical bug fixes.

Just look at how long it takes Apple to fix bugs in the OS or Aperture.

Phase has a list of improvements, bug fixes, and new features as well as a constant quest to increase processing quality, UI speed, and stability.

One of the frustrating parts being a middle-man (so to speak) between Phase and End Users is the perception on the end users part that Phase doesn't listen, when in fact they are listening, but any given End User expects their bug, or their improvement, or their feature to be added first.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me) (http://mailto:[email protected])
__________________
Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
Phase One, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Eizo & More
National: 877.217.9870  |  Cell: 740.707.2183
Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up (http://www.captureintegration.com/our-company/newsletters/)

Should I start thinking of myself as impatient and insignificant?  
Title: Phaseone releases Capture Pro V4.8
Post by: Doug Peterson on April 30, 2009, 01:31:10 pm
Quote from: R_Medvid
Should I start thinking of myself as impatient and insignificant?  

No. You're being perfectly reasonable; if software as-is doesn't improve your quality and workflow in a way enough to justify the price then don't buy it. I hope that the specific bugs that impact you are addressed and you do buy it. Just don't think that two months without a fix for a particular bug means that they aren't listening.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me) (http://mailto:[email protected])
__________________
Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
Phase One, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Eizo & More
National: 877.217.9870  |  Cell: 740.707.2183
Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up (http://www.captureintegration.com/our-company/newsletters/)
Title: Phaseone releases Capture Pro V4.8
Post by: R_Medvid on April 30, 2009, 01:46:38 pm
Quote from: dougpetersonci
.. Just don't think that two months without a fix for a particular bug means that they aren't listening.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me) (http://mailto:[email protected])
.....

I never said so. Of course there are some human beings in the universe that are being listened to by Phase One at some particular time.
I just said that for me CO4 is still a raw product that hasn't been tested in a proper way, and that I'm not buying it as of yet.
My humble opinion.

And of course I honestly value your input here on the forum highly, so I didn't intend to start the fire.
Title: Phaseone releases Capture Pro V4.8
Post by: aaanorton on April 30, 2009, 05:30:12 pm
So we go from 4.7 to 4.8 for simply adding compatibility for a new back? What new features/improvements/functionality were made? I fail to see how making it work for new product Phase One announces qualifies as a full 4.x upgrade signifier.
Who here bought (paid for) v3.x of Capture One Pro? Remember being told that the next version of Capture One Pro would be free? Well, how'd you like your free version? Maybe v5 will provide all of v3's functionality, metadata templating and other essential features pros expect. But of course, we'll all have to pay for those features (again).
Seems to me version 4 just became (potentially) usable with v4.5 (I still want my versions 4.2, 4.3 and 4.4!).
I really wish Phase would get out of the software-selling business. I know they won't, but it's sure to be their undoing.
Title: Phaseone releases Capture Pro V4.8
Post by: Doug Peterson on April 30, 2009, 06:05:25 pm
Quote from: aaanorton
So we go from 4.7 to 4.8 for simply adding compatibility for a new back? What new features/improvements/functionality were made? I fail to see how making it work for new product Phase One announces qualifies as a full 4.x upgrade signifier.
Who here bought (paid for) v3.x of Capture One Pro? Remember being told that the next version of Capture One Pro would be free? Well, how'd you like your free version? Maybe v5 will provide all of v3's functionality, metadata templating and other essential features pros expect. But of course, we'll all have to pay for those features (again).
Seems to me version 4 just became (potentially) usable with v4.5 (I still want my versions 4.2, 4.3 and 4.4!).
I really wish Phase would get out of the software-selling business. I know they won't, but it's sure to be their undoing.

There is no doubt in my mind that Phase's software branch is the strongest in medium format and is a core reason for their success. If you feel otherwise you are missing the forest for the trees.

4.8 was named 4.8 instead of 4.7.1 because it included for the first time multiple languages. That may not seem like a big deal if you speak English, but I can assure you for the rest of the world having the program localized to your language is a very big deal. Besides, who cares what they name it? They can call it 31.4159 for all I care.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me) (http://mailto:[email protected])
__________________
Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
Phase One, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Eizo & More
National: 877.217.9870  |  Cell: 740.707.2183
Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up (http://www.captureintegration.com/our-company/newsletters/)
Title: Phaseone releases Capture Pro V4.8
Post by: aaanorton on April 30, 2009, 07:55:28 pm
Quote from: dougpetersonci
There is no doubt in my mind that Phase's software branch is the strongest in medium format and is a core reason for their success. If you feel otherwise you are missing the forest for the trees.

4.8 was named 4.8 instead of 4.7.1 because it included for the first time multiple languages. That may not seem like a big deal if you speak English, but I can assure you for the rest of the world having the program localized to your language is a very big deal. Besides, who cares what they name it? They can call it 31.4159 for all I care.

Strongest in medium format? So you mean stronger than Phocus Pocus and This One Goes To (LC) 11? Well I should hope so. I mean, those are essentially jokes, right?
My point is that Phase has stubbornly clung to their software model instead of licensing their technology to Adobe, Apple and such. Who reading this would buy anything else if Phase One backs could produce the same results in Bridge or Aperture as they do from Capture One? This has allowed the likes of Hasselblad to compete with a "Well, if you like crappy, restrictive software, wait'll you see what we can sell you! And for cheaper! Plus we'll prevent the other guy's software from being used with our mediocre over-priced cameras, which just happen to be the best game in town!"-type of approach. Sure, Capture One defined the genre. It established the market and served it well for years. But it hasn't been serving it well for even more years. Don't get me wrong; I would use no other software package currently available to capture files on a photo shoot. But being the best of poor options is hardly market-driving. Their resources are stretched too thin and they are simply unable to provide essential features and forward-thinking workflow solutions pro photographers demand. And now Phase finds itself with a future of pairing their backs, by default, with a camera that virtually no high-end pro shooter will use. So tell me again about the forest and trees. Because I really wonder how happy Phase One will be as a software company that can't make backs anymore, since their reluctance to open up and compete and contribute converted their market dominance into irrelevance.

And as far as what it's called, I care, because I'll have to pay for version 5, which is numerically very close now. Localization support is built into OS X. Phase One is based in Denmark, sells globally and mostly on a different continent, in the US. If it took them til version 4.8 to figure out multiple languages (after taking away that feature from 3.x), then it's just another example of how they don't get software development. Put a fork in it and focus everything making digital backs that photographers can't live without.
Title: Phaseone releases Capture Pro V4.8
Post by: BernardLanguillier on April 30, 2009, 09:07:25 pm
Quote from: aaanorton
I really wish Phase would get out of the software-selling business. I know they won't, but it's sure to be their undoing.

All other things being equal, I don't think that that would be a good idea.

- The quality of C1 would be much worse if it were to be beta tested by only a few thousand of back owners as opposed to tens of thousands of DSLR owners,
- Phase execs would be a lot less motivated to develop C1 if it were only a cost center as opposed to a revenue generation,
- I don't really case as non phase back owner, but you can bet that C1 will probably save the company in the coming years and/or enable them to extend a little bit the active life of MFDBs if ever Japanese companies decide to enter this market segment.

Like it or not, that is the reality of software.

Cheers,
Bernard
Title: Phaseone releases Capture Pro V4.8
Post by: aaanorton on May 01, 2009, 12:35:31 am
Quote from: BernardLanguillier
All other things being equal, I don't think that that would be a good idea.

- The quality of C1 would be much worse if it were to be beta tested by only a few thousand of back owners as opposed to tens of thousands of DSLR owners,
I'm suggesting licensing the underlying code to Adobe, Apple, whatever, making it a codec or plugin whereby Phase could concentrate on processing only and leave the majority of UI and workflows to others that already do it much better. The install base could grow exponentially overnight.

Quote
- Phase execs would be a lot less motivated to develop C1 if it were only a cost center as opposed to a revenue generation,
The current situation represents a state of motivation then? How many software titles do you own where major upgrades involve the removal of dozens of key features and functionality that are slowly trickled back into the new version over numerous buggy dot-updates, only to be called making progress? My answer to this is exactly one: Capture One Pro. I get better progress from free/share-ware.
And I see potentially a lot more money to be made doing something else than trying to be the finest proprietary one trick pony to a segment of a niche market.

Quote
- I don't really case as non phase back owner, but you can bet that C1 will probably save the company in the coming years and/or enable them to extend a little bit the active life of MFDBs if ever Japanese companies decide to enter this market segment.

Like it or not, that is the reality of software.
I don't really follow what you're saying in this last bit, but in the end Capture One can not actually save Phase One as we know it. If they stop selling backs and become a software company, I couldn't really give hoot about what they do or don't do. And it's not like current DSLR owners are going to buy into a new Japanese format and suddenly decide to embrace a new proprietary, exclusive, late-to-market-backwards-upgrading and totally different workflow from some company they've never heard of.

Thanks.
Title: Phaseone releases Capture Pro V4.8
Post by: Guy Mancuso on May 01, 2009, 12:59:01 am
I think we need to remember the last update was for there own P65 and this one is for there new P40+. You simply cannot argue those updates for there own backs or they would not sell the back to begin with. I also think it should be noted that C1 supports many camera's and not just there own like Hassy , Sinar and leaf (which don't need updates as often )and updates for newly released camera's is something they must do also to support them and make more sales. Sorry guys if you where developing software you would be looking for the same revenue chain of adding support for those camera's. Please tell me you would not so I can really get a laugh out of it. This is a business that will thrive on sales to other camera makers out there like Nikon and Canon. I bought C1 years ago for my Canon 1ds as many others do as well for processing and tethered work. Does Adobe only sell to graphic designers and Microsoft only sell to accountants , no they do not but anyone they can get there hands on to make money. There is no difference here.

Title: Phaseone releases Capture Pro V4.8
Post by: Schewe on May 01, 2009, 01:05:48 am
Quote from: aaanorton
I'm suggesting licensing the underlying code to Adobe, Apple, whatever, making it a codec or plugin whereby Phase could concentrate on processing only and leave the majority of UI and workflows to others that already do it much better. The install base could grow exponentially overnight.


Your kidding, right?


There is a lot to be said about various companies working together to advance the art, but in the grand scheme, you realize this is all about cohoonies, right?

I mean, all of the final output from any of the raw processing pipelines can offer reasonably good processing...but if you are really good and you know how to tune the notes (the ACR controls) you are far more likely to get what you want/need if you know how to control the settings in Camera Rw....
Title: Phaseone releases Capture Pro V4.8
Post by: aaanorton on May 01, 2009, 01:45:55 am
How about 4.7.1? Or better yet 4.4.1, since that is where we should be with actual released versions. Even that seems a bit aggressive for the tangible progress made. What's the rush to get through v4?

Quote from: Guy Mancuso
I think we need to remember the last update was for there own P65 and this one is for there new P40+. You simply cannot argue those updates for there own backs or they would not sell the back to begin with.
Title: Phaseone releases Capture Pro V4.8
Post by: aaanorton on May 01, 2009, 02:09:20 am
I fully agree with your pipeline premise. I just don't see how this invalidates anything I said. I'm sure I'm just being dense or didn't make myself clear earlier.

Quote from: Schewe
Your kidding, right?


There is a lot to be said about various companies working together to advance the art, but in the grand scheme, you realize this is all about cohoonies, right?

I mean, all of the final output from any of the raw processing pipelines can offer reasonably good processing...but if you are really good and you know how to tune the notes (the ACR controls) you are far more likely to get what you want/need if you know how to control the settings in Camera Rw....
Title: Phaseone releases Capture Pro V4.8
Post by: BernardLanguillier on May 01, 2009, 02:45:10 am
Quote from: Schewe
I mean, all of the final output from any of the raw processing pipelines can offer reasonably good processing...but if you are really good and you know how to tune the notes (the ACR controls) you are far more likely to get what you want/need if you know how to control the settings in Camera Rw....

Are you saying that you also use non Adobe software from times to times Jeff? I guess you would have had to spend more than a little bit of time with C1 4.x to form such an opinion... :-)

Cheers,
Bernard
Title: Phaseone releases Capture Pro V4.8
Post by: Guy Mancuso on May 01, 2009, 08:50:36 am
Quote from: aaanorton
How about 4.7.1? Or better yet 4.4.1, since that is where we should be with actual released versions. Even that seems a bit aggressive for the tangible progress made. What's the rush to get through v4?


Not sure on particular versions but if a bug is discovered which certainly happens in every software package I have seen even Apple than if they can make the fix why not. This is not a conspiracy theory they are trying to improve and add functions but I do agree totally to try and test as much as they can before release . Obviously they don't have every configuration of the many thousands of computers and software programs on everyones computer. Shit happens. I am not defending them but also looking at the reality of it. Many other programs on some ones particular system may actually effect other programs. Software business is not a fun business to be in. No matter what some ones system is screwed. There is always a balance of testing and getting it out the door to support other products as well and that does not always work smoothly. Not sure we can sit here and say Microsoft or Apple is any better or Adobe and anyone else is as well. This is not a easy business put 15 brand new MBP in front of 15 people load there personal software choices and watch the different issues pop up

Honestly I am sitting here almost on the hourly basis  waiting for version 10.5.7 from Apple
Title: Phaseone releases Capture Pro V4.8
Post by: MichaelAlanBielat on May 01, 2009, 09:23:35 am
Downloading it now... Thanks for the heads up.
Title: Phaseone releases Capture Pro V4.8
Post by: brentward on May 01, 2009, 11:11:09 am
Do we need to completely uninstall C1 and reinstall this little update? OR just update over the 4.7 install?
Title: Phaseone releases Capture Pro V4.8
Post by: R_Medvid on May 01, 2009, 11:14:28 am
I remember times when Mamiya AFD Kit was sold together with Adobe Lightroom in one package and this was advertised at mamiya.com

I agree that raw processing engine from Phase is probably superior to ACR embedded into Lightroom. But file management and overall UI is just raw raw raw.

It's like the story with a RawShooter software -- they managed to develop a great raw processing engine and were absorbed by and embedded into Lightroom. Well, CO4 is bigger than RawShooter team and cannot be just absorbed... But still Adobe are great for what they are doing in respect to interface and image management. Everybody else is chasing them, more or less desperately.
Title: Phaseone releases Capture Pro V4.8
Post by: bcooter on May 01, 2009, 11:33:54 am
Quote from: brentward
Do we need to completely uninstall C1 and reinstall this little update? OR just update over the 4.7 install?


Instructional Video here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqSOvUH_njE (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqSOvUH_njE)

B
Title: Phaseone releases Capture Pro V4.8
Post by: aaanorton on May 01, 2009, 12:07:12 pm
@Guy
You seem to be replying to issues not raised in this thread in general nor in my posts in particular. How can we get on the same page?

Quote from: Guy Mancuso
Not sure on particular versions but if a bug is discovered which certainly happens in every software package I have seen even Apple than if they can make the fix why not. This is not a conspiracy theory they are trying to improve and add functions but I do agree totally to try and test as much as they can before release . Obviously they don't have every configuration of the many thousands of computers and software programs on everyones computer. Shit happens. I am not defending them but also looking at the reality of it. Many other programs on some ones particular system may actually effect other programs. Software business is not a fun business to be in. No matter what some ones system is screwed. There is always a balance of testing and getting it out the door to support other products as well and that does not always work smoothly. Not sure we can sit here and say Microsoft or Apple is any better or Adobe and anyone else is as well. This is not a easy business put 15 brand new MBP in front of 15 people load there personal software choices and watch the different issues pop up

Honestly I am sitting here almost on the hourly basis  waiting for version 10.5.7 from Apple
Title: Phaseone releases Capture Pro V4.8
Post by: brentward on May 01, 2009, 12:42:56 pm
Quote from: bcooter
Instructional Video here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqSOvUH_njE (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqSOvUH_njE)

B


Funny video. I was more asking (in a smart ass kind of way) WHY we have to go through the whole process of uninstalling the software just for a little update...
Title: Phaseone releases Capture Pro V4.8
Post by: Guy Mancuso on May 01, 2009, 12:48:51 pm
Quote from: aaanorton
So we go from 4.7 to 4.8 for simply adding compatibility for a new back? What new features/improvements/functionality were made? I fail to see how making it work for new product Phase One announces qualifies as a full 4.x upgrade signifier.
Who here bought (paid for) v3.x of Capture One Pro? Remember being told that the next version of Capture One Pro would be free? Well, how'd you like your free version? Maybe v5 will provide all of v3's functionality, metadata templating and other essential features pros expect. But of course, we'll all have to pay for those features (again).
Seems to me version 4 just became (potentially) usable with v4.5 (I still want my versions 4.2, 4.3 and 4.4!).
I really wish Phase would get out of the software-selling business. I know they won't, but it's sure to be their undoing.


This is on the same page.
Title: Phaseone releases Capture Pro V4.8
Post by: Doug Peterson on May 01, 2009, 12:59:32 pm
Quote from: brentward
Funny video. I was more asking (in a smart ass kind of way) WHY we have to go through the whole process of uninstalling the software just for a little update...

You don't HAVE to. The vast majority of the time you will be fine just writing over the previous install. Just like most of the time you install a major OSX update you can go right over the previous one. The majority of people who install this way and have no problems you rarely hear from.

However, the most fool-proof way is always to completely wipe the previous and install cleanly. Just like any other software.

It would be nice if there were a internal updater like with OSX or Photoshop, but very few mac programs are like that (mostly huge corporate programs like office, the OS, PS, etc).

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me) (http://mailto:[email protected])
__________________
Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
Phase One, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Eizo & More
National: 877.217.9870  |  Cell: 740.707.2183
Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up (http://www.captureintegration.com/our-company/newsletters/)
Title: Phaseone releases Capture Pro V4.8
Post by: gwhitf on May 01, 2009, 01:00:12 pm
This is an interesting article by David Brooks of the Times. Seems connected with why I want to simply stay with 3.79. There's something about *really* using something, day in and day out, that you really begin to get your head around it. Rather than the general software approach, which seems to be "get halfass good with this version, but oops, there's an upgrade, so you go run and try that, and then bam, another upgrade". Over and over, but you never get fully comfortable with any of them.

I know that the companies are, of course, trying to make the software better and better, but still, there's something to just picking something and sticking with it. Practice, practice, to the point where it's almost invisible.

Article:  http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/01/opinion/01brooks.html?em (http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/01/opinion/01brooks.html?em)

Wouldn't it be interesting to find some guy, still using the original 1ds with that first generation of DPP, but he's been using it for so long, he's doing it with his eyes closed.

I'm just *now* getting to that point with Capture One 3.79. (How many years has it been..?)
Title: Phaseone releases Capture Pro V4.8
Post by: bcooter on May 01, 2009, 01:13:16 pm
Quote from: gwhitf
I'm just *now* getting to that point with Capture One 3.79. (How many years has it been..?)


You should have watched the instructional video.

B
Title: Phaseone releases Capture Pro V4.8
Post by: aaanorton on May 01, 2009, 02:00:27 pm
Quote from: gwhitf
I'm just *now* getting to that point with Capture One 3.79. (How many years has it been..?)

Almost one year (http://69.64.47.32/CO_MAC/9e7b29c6-0e6c-4284-b028-53bb53ef0c6e/Capture%20One%20PRO%203.7.9(Mac)%20release%20notes.pdf), actually. Which is my point. V3.x was around for a long time. People got used to it. It became the standard. Now v4 is out (still referred to as the 'new' version) and it's at 4.8, which is a larger build number than v3 ever reached. Again, what's the rush with burning through the build numbers on v4? One or two more features or cameras get released and it's history. Then all the stuff that "didn't get in" to v4, like rock-solid stability (3.x style), metadata templates, stitching (basically everything that made v3 great) and more will get pushed to v5. You know, the version everybody pays for again.

@Guy
PM me if you'd like to discuss how we're not talking about the same issues.
Title: Phaseone releases Capture Pro V4.8
Post by: Doug Peterson on May 01, 2009, 02:27:39 pm
Quote from: aaanorton
Almost one year (http://69.64.47.32/CO_MAC/9e7b29c6-0e6c-4284-b028-53bb53ef0c6e/Capture%20One%20PRO%203.7.9(Mac)%20release%20notes.pdf), actually. Which is my point. V3.x was around for a long time. People got used to it. It became the standard. Now v4 is out (still referred to as the 'new' version) and it's at 4.8, which is a larger build number than v3 ever reached. Again, what's the rush with burning through the build numbers on v4? One or two more features or cameras get released and it's history. Then all the stuff that "didn't get in" to v4, like rock-solid stability (3.x style), metadata templates, stitching (basically everything that made v3 great) and more will get pushed to v5. You know, the version everybody pays for again.

1) Phase offered any user of version 3 a free upgrade to version 4. This means there are people who purchased up to 2005 and have not paid a dime in upgrades since then and are still current.
2) Every new camera has been supported by free releases.
3) When Phase released version 4 they also established a price of $100 to upgrade to version 5 whenever it is released. This is 20% of the price at which C1 3 was sold and 25% of the price which C1 4 is being sold at.
4) Capture One is free for anyone using Phase One backs

Name me another piece of paid software that comes anywhere close to the pricing structure of those four points.

As a benchmark Photoshop CS2 was released in 2005 and nobody would say Adobe would be unfair to charge 25% of the original 2005 software price to upgrade to CS4/CS5 and should have been giving you free file compatibility with any newly released camera since then.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me) (http://mailto:[email protected])
__________________
Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
Phase One, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Eizo & More
National: 877.217.9870  |  Cell: 740.707.2183
Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up (http://www.captureintegration.com/our-company/newsletters/)
Title: Phaseone releases Capture Pro V4.8
Post by: Guy Mancuso on May 01, 2009, 04:01:02 pm
I have not paid a dime to Phase One since i purchased it when the 1ds was released. I paid 500 at the time and nothing since. My Phase back has nothing to do with that either. I already had Pro for that long. I did call Phase to fix my activations since the 1ds I had many computers since than and it was all over the place on activations. They did not automate that on the website than as they do today. Adobe I have paid for ever PS upgrade since 4.5 I believe it was and they did only do a platform change for me to the Mac for free. BUt I paid the fees along the way to keep upgrading PS until recent CS4. Than just purchased Adobe Indesign and have 3 qualifying products LR,PS and Acrobat but to get InDesign the best deal they could do was 800 dollar up sell on only 1 existing product. Talk about bullshit . 3 fully paid products and I can only up sell from one of them. Let's talk about getting ripped off. Screw that I bought a full version legal Indesign for 300 dollars here and it is registered too
http://www.ztechsoftware.com/servlet/Cart?...mp;smode=update (http://www.ztechsoftware.com/servlet/Cart?%24storesense%3ACartDetail%3A%2F%2Flocal%2F613168%3FCartDate%3D4%252F18%252F09%2B6%253A53%253A51%2BAM%26CartId%3D7512977%26ProductId%3D41774180%23quantity=0&smode=update)

I think Phase has been MORE than fair on my one license all this time. If it is 100 dollars to upgrade to Version 5 than I will gladly upgrade and pay the freight.

Adobe will never see my money again on a direct purchase to them i will buy it legally somewhere else as I just did. I think folks that have 3 purchased products should get a deal on Design Standard and not 1 product. Sorry that is not the way to treat REAL paying customers.

With that have a great weekend everyone . I am leaving town to go play golf and have a little fun.
Title: Phaseone releases Capture Pro V4.8
Post by: tho_mas on May 01, 2009, 04:01:56 pm
Quote from: dougpetersonci
Name me another piece of paid software that comes anywhere close to the pricing structure of those four points.
True! On the other hand you have to agree that we are still waiting for basic features of V3 (RGB chanels, Stitcher) and it would be annoying to pay again just to have back what we already had in V3, no?
Title: Phaseone releases Capture Pro V4.8
Post by: tho_mas on May 02, 2009, 05:07:50 am
Quote from: selsoe
Quote from: tho_mas
So the change is system wide... no change solely for the application...  
It's standard Mac convention. You set up system wide language preferences/priorities and installed applications should follow your priorities.
"workaround": Control click on the application icon in the applications folder - choose "show package contents" from the contextual menu - go to the resources folder - delete (or move out, or zip) the languages folders except of "English".
Title: Phaseone releases Capture Pro V4.8
Post by: Doug Peterson on May 02, 2009, 11:42:51 am
Quote from: tho_mas
True! On the other hand you have to agree that we are still waiting for basic features of V3 (RGB chanels, Stitcher) and it would be annoying to pay again just to have back what we already had in V3, no?

For the vast majority of users the few V3 features not yet implement in V4 are far outweighed by the benefits of V4.

However, if you are a heavy user of something like the stitch-preview then I completely agree you have every reason to be quite annoyed.

In other words they've made things better for 90% of users, but that's of little or no consolation if you are one of the other 10%.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me) (http://mailto:[email protected])
__________________
Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
Phase One, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Eizo & More
National: 877.217.9870  |  Cell: 740.707.2183
Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up (http://www.captureintegration.com/our-company/newsletters/)
Title: Phaseone releases Capture Pro V4.8
Post by: tho_mas on May 02, 2009, 02:54:33 pm
Okay... true enough.

Quote from: dougpetersonci
In other words they've made things better for 90% of users
I wonder about the high percentage that are pleased with the session management and the loss of responsiveness... but be that as it may ;-). For me things better and things worse balance each other with a slight advantage for V4 as for some of the new tools and the preview.
Title: Phaseone releases Capture Pro V4.8
Post by: billy on May 02, 2009, 04:01:10 pm
Sorry to hijack this thread but I posted this in the "processing" forum but got no response, perhaps someone can give me an answer here:

when I start a new tethered session in V4 it names each capture with the session name, then a space, then the capture number. for example; visa 233.tif

isnt there a golden rule to never leave a space in a file name? aren't you supposed to use an underscore, ie: visa_233.tif

been looking thru all the preferences and cant seem to change this naming convention.
Title: Phaseone releases Capture Pro V4.8
Post by: aaanorton on May 02, 2009, 05:01:50 pm
Quote from: dougpetersonci
1) Phase offered any user of version 3 a free upgrade to version 4. This means there are people who purchased up to 2005 and have not paid a dime in upgrades since then and are still current.

Longer than that (http://69.64.47.32/files/CO/3.1.2/Mac/COMAC312%20RelNote.pdf). V3.1.2 was released in 2004. I know I was using it in 2003. This is not just a long time, but way too long. Phase got too comfortable and delayed a replacement for v3. Then after announcing it (finally) they missed release dates again and again. This went on for a really long time.
I'm sorry this happened and wish it hadn't, but it seems inauthentic to look back at this train wreck and say that it was a value-added feature for the customers. This is simply another example of Phase not getting software development.

Quote
2) Every new camera has been supported by free releases.

As opposed to not supporting their cameras? I'd much prefer a paid 3rd party camera update model, if (!) it would assure timely upgrades/updates that don't remove critical functionality.

Quote
3) When Phase released version 4 they also established a price of $100 to upgrade to version 5 whenever it is released. This is 20% of the price at which C1 3 was sold and 25% of the price which C1 4 is being sold at.

This is a great policy. Much better than that "buy now and upgrade for free next time" nonsense.

Quote
4) Capture One is free for anyone using Phase One backs

Name me another piece of paid software that comes anywhere close to the pricing structure of those four points.

As a benchmark Photoshop CS2 was released in 2005 and nobody would say Adobe would be unfair to charge 25% of the original 2005 software price to upgrade to CS4/CS5 and should have been giving you free file compatibility with any newly released camera since then.

But this compares Phase's stated intent to Adobe's actual practice. The problem is that Phase's intent lacks integrity, because they are not delivering a real v4. Instead we have a mishmash of features with a new UI that struggles to do what it was designed to do as well as v3: capture digital images. Roll the clock back and things look a lot more realistic. Let's pretend that v4.8 was released as v4 beta3 or release candidate. Now everything makes more sense. They just added keyboard control of text boxes and languages to the UI, capturing is relatively stable and you can now batch rename your files (yay!). It's still missing some good stuff, but this should all be addressed in a 4.0.x or 4.1 update (at latest).
But of course, this is not where we are. Instead we are at v4.8! This build series is almost toast and v5 should now be well into alpha testing. Again, before v4.5 this app was all buy unusable.
It's also worth mentioning that Adobe ships Bridge with Photoshop for free, because they realize the needs of today's photographers.

Quote
For the vast majority of users the few V3 features not yet implement in V4 are far outweighed by the benefits of V4.

Debatable. What if what you really want to do is capture pictures with Capture One? What percentage of capture companies/techs use v4 to capture? Running v3 and v4 to capture and post is nothing more than a kludge. Perfectly acceptable in beta phase, but never for a shipping paid app like this.
I really don't understand why Phase promised a free upgrade to subsequent versions and I wish they hadn't. It just doesn't make sense to me. Maybe I'm wrong about this, granted. But it seems it would make for a lackluster revenue spike at release. Much better is the policy of set upgrade pricing, so customers are aware and can plan. The problem is that Phase made this commitment, but are not living up to it. Plus (and this applies to your pricing comparison points too) it's important to remember that Phase One made this pricing structure! It's not like someone forced them to devalue their upgrades to the point that they can't afford to update in a timely manner. They invented it. All I'm saying is that they should now stick to it.