Luminous Landscape Forum
Equipment & Techniques => Medium Format / Film / Digital Backs – and Large Sensor Photography => Topic started by: Leonardo Barreto on April 29, 2009, 02:55:16 pm
-
Bigger than an iPhone, smaller, cheaper than MacAir, is this the LCD missing in the new P 40+ and all other PhaseOne backs? or at least the place to check mail, chat, SKype ?
I think this is coming and I also know I want one...
(http://photos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs031.snc1/3209_74329202083_668172083_1811542_2611538_n.jpg)
http://www.fastcompany.com/blog/chris-dann...-rumors-go-away (http://www.fastcompany.com/blog/chris-dannen/techwatch/why-wont-apple-tablet-rumors-go-away)
-
Yet another article posted last Monday..
http://www.macrumors.com/2009/04/27/two-ne...nd-iphone-lite/ (http://www.macrumors.com/2009/04/27/two-new-devices-from-apple-category-defining-media-pad-and-iphone-lite/)
-
Posted twice
-
BIG LCD. LOL
Actually that is pretty cool . I bought my wife a Dell net book and it truly is a piece of crap. This looks much more functional and able to transport in her purse for trips.
-
If it only had FireWire and PhaseOne would make a Capture 1 P (portable)
The only thing you need is to be able to replicate the signal sent to the LCD and check focus, lighting ratios and so on.
Apple will be tempting the ghost of the infamous NEWTON with this --if rumors are really true-- but on the other hand, this may be the perfect product for them at the moment. Less expensive than the Air. Applications, games, music etc would be sold on line, same as with iPhone, and they would be addressing the notebook on their own terms.... also this could be the perfect gift for a wife. LoL
BIG LCD. LOL
Actually that is pretty cool . I bought my wife a Dell net book and it truly is a piece of crap. This looks much more functional and able to transport in her purse for trips.
-
It will need to have Firewire or an Expresscard slot so that a FW400 connection can be made. Otherwise it'll be useless for MF tethering in the field, as sexy as it might be.
I've found one small Windows unit that appears to do the trick, the Kohjinsha SC3 (http://www.dynamism.com/kohjinsha_sc.shtml).
It's available in Japan only. I have one on order and will start field testing and will report here as soon as it arrives, likely next week.
Michael
-
It will need to have Firewire or an Expresscard slot so that a FW400 connection can be made. Otherwise it'll be useless for MF tethering in the field, as sexy as it might be.
I've found one small Windows unit that appears to do the trick, the Kohjinsha SC3 (http://www.dynamism.com/kohjinsha_sc.shtml).
It's available in Japan only. I have one on order and will start field testing and will report here as soon as it arrives, likely next week.
Michael
The Lenovo S10 netbook got a expresscard slot as well and is around 400 $ or even cheaper by now. You can even run Os X on it fairly easy. But I have no idea will the slot in combination with a firewire card be powerful enough to work with a MFDB.
-
It will need to have Firewire or an Expresscard slot so that a FW400 connection can be made. Otherwise it'll be useless for MF tethering in the field, as sexy as it might be.
I've found one small Windows unit that appears to do the trick, the Kohjinsha SC3 (http://www.dynamism.com/kohjinsha_sc.shtml).
It's available in Japan only. I have one on order and will start field testing and will report here as soon as it arrives, likely next week.
Michael
Maybe not relevant to the P40+ tethering, but the S2 will have Wi-Fi tethering/transferring capability. I'm assuming this rumored tablet to have Wi-Fi, no?
David
-
PhaseOne could offer one made for their backs, not a full computer like the Kohjinsha, but a simple LCD that could clip on the flash mount and would use the backs processing power to show focus and other details of the images in the CF...
It will need to have Firewire or an Expresscard slot so that a FW400 connection can be made. Otherwise it'll be useless for MF tethering in the field, as sexy as it might be.
I've found one small Windows unit that appears to do the trick, the Kohjinsha SC3 (http://www.dynamism.com/kohjinsha_sc.shtml).
It's available in Japan only. I have one on order and will start field testing and will report here as soon as it arrives, likely next week.
Michael
-
What may be missed, because of the apparent size in the photo, is that the SC3 is a small tablet, about the same size as a DVD case and probably not dissimilar in size to an hypothetical iTablet. This makes a huge difference in usability in the field over a laptop, even a netbook.
Also, the screen is reported to be very good in bright daylight.
More soon.
Michael
-
The problem would probable be called VISTA. PC OS will probably make some of this solutions too slow to bear until OS 7 comes with its small soft footprint. Apple has the OS that could do the job better on a small device, I read that the SONY offering has this problem --of being too slow--
What may be missed, because of the apparent size in the photo, is that the SC3 is a small tablet, about the same size as a DVD case and probably not dissimilar in size to an hypothetical iTablet. This makes a huge difference in usability in the field over a laptop, even a netbook.
Also, the screen is reported to be very good in bright daylight.
More soon.
Michael
-
The Lenovo S10 netbook got a expresscard slot as well and is around 400 $ or even cheaper by now. You can even run Os X on it fairly easy. But I have no idea will the slot in combination with a firewire card be powerful enough to work with a MFDB.
I would be interested to know. Frankly the Macbook Pro is not nearly tough enough for field use, in my opinion, so I'd prefer to have a dedicated and cheap machine like this just for tethered capture. At $349 it wouldn't be the end of the world if it got beaten up. My MBP screen died (under warranty) and Apple refused to fix it under warranty and quoted me a price of $1300 just to replace the screen. No thanks. (I'm still fighting them over that). All I need to be free of Apple is the PC version of eXposure, which I hope will be out soon.
-
This image is a good illustration on how computer dependent photography is becoming, specially regarding communications. This is not exactly the case of MF system users, but it could relate somehow.
We also see 4 computers and 3/4 have the Apple logo, they look obviously too big for being displayed at a crowd, on the other side this photographers seam to be doing serious editing on them... they also have to have all the ports needed...
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/60/187608788_57947322d3_o.jpg (http://farm1.static.flickr.com/60/187608788_57947322d3_o.jpg)
-
Oops wrong thread. Nevermind
-
It will need to have Firewire or an Expresscard slot so that a FW400 connection can be made. Otherwise it'll be useless for MF tethering in the field, as sexy as it might be.
Given Apple's recent connectivity direction (i.e. USB only on MacBook & MacBook Air), it's likely to be USB 2.0 only.
-
Most of the iPad rumors suggest it will run the iPhone OS, not OS-X. The iPhone OS is based on OS-X, but whether Capture ONE would run on it is another matter. I have my doubts. Of course, if the iPad materializes it might have OS-X instead of iPhone OS, in which case tethered operation with Capture ONE may be possible (as others have pointed out, it would need to have Firewire 400, or an express card slot).
-
PhaseOne shoud make a stand alone capture application. What C1 really is is a RAW conversion program that has tethered capture capability, but this two functions are very different.
Most photographers could hold the RAW conversion to after they return from the field, and a small device with uncalibrated micro display is probably the wrong platform to do it. On the other side, capturing may be interesting for the photographer in the field. For example, you could live the camera on the tripod and control the camera from a small tablet, you could give the table to an art director to handhold while you shoot tethered, all of this can be done with a small print application.
The lack of FireWire could be a problem, unless you could find a way to sen information and a smaller version of the final RAW file using WiFi. This could be done retroactively using a small transmiter attached to the FireWire port in all existing PhaseOne backs.
Most of the iPad rumors suggest it will run the iPhone OS, not OS-X. The iPhone OS is based on OS-X, but whether Capture ONE would run on it is another matter. I have my doubts. Of course, if the iPad materializes it might have OS-X instead of iPhone OS, in which case tethered operation with Capture ONE may be possible (as others have pointed out, it would need to have Firewire 400, or an express card slot).