Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Digital Image Processing => Topic started by: CBarrett on April 28, 2009, 09:24:25 am

Title: Scripting Downsizing?
Post by: CBarrett on April 28, 2009, 09:24:25 am
Howdy All,

I've got a bunch of images to downsize for the website and am trying to figure out how to save time on the process...

I have two Photoshop actions that will downsize from full capture size to a specific dimension in 10% increments.  I find that doing this incrementally has a huge impact on reducing the anti aliasing of diagonals, moire in fabric and maintains sharpness.

The way I have it setup, though, I have to sort my horizontals from verticals, make sure all the images are uncropped and then  run the H script and then the V script.

Is there just a way to tell P'shop "Reduce overall size by 10%, rinse and repeat until maximum dimension = X"?

Muchas Gracias,
CB
Title: Scripting Downsizing?
Post by: Fulvio Senore on May 03, 2009, 01:32:37 pm
Quote from: CBarrett
Howdy All,

I've got a bunch of images to downsize for the website and am trying to figure out how to save time on the process...

I have two Photoshop actions that will downsize from full capture size to a specific dimension in 10% increments.  I find that doing this incrementally has a huge impact on reducing the anti aliasing of diagonals, moire in fabric and maintains sharpness.

The way I have it setup, though, I have to sort my horizontals from verticals, make sure all the images are uncropped and then  run the H script and then the V script.

Is there just a way to tell P'shop "Reduce overall size by 10%, rinse and repeat until maximum dimension = X"?

Muchas Gracias,
CB

I have just read yesterday's "What's New", I have read about the forums and this time I looked at them.
I have seen this question and I hope I can help.

I am about to release a software that downsizes images with a high-quality algorithm, better than Photoshop. It does not require the 10% increments and it works better. I am making the final changes to the plugin version, but a standalone version is already available for OS X (Intel only), Linux and Windows.
That program can easily batch-resize many images and, among other options, it is possible to specify the size of the longest side, so there are no problems with portrait vs. landscape images.

I can send you a copy of the program if you want to try it.

Fulvio Senore

Title: Scripting Downsizing?
Post by: Randy Carone on May 03, 2009, 04:25:38 pm
According to Mr. Schewe, and I concur, it is no longer necessary to up or downsize in 10% increments in PS, expecially if you use the Bicubic Smoother to enlarge and Bicubic Sharper to reduce. However, I now use Genuine Fractals Batch Process to resize multiple images and it suits my needs. I bought it to for serious upsizing and it happens to offer the downsizing Batch process and I find it quicker than using PS. YMMV.
BTW, I orient all the images I have  to resize so they are all landscape or portrait and run one batch operation.
Title: Scripting Downsizing?
Post by: Jack Flesher on May 04, 2009, 01:07:29 pm
For the script, you can add a final "fit image" option to your action, to set maximum pixel dimension regardless of orientation.  In CS3/4 it is in File>Automate>Fit Image.  So for example, if you want all of your jpegs downsized to 1200 maximum in either dimension I would downsize horizontally all to Verticalx1200 pix, then add the Fit Image step and set the parameters to 1200 vertical and 1200 horizontal.  Obviously any horizontal jpeg will be something like 800x1200 already fit and be ignored by the script, while the taller verticals that are say 1800x1200 will get sized to 1200x800.

Hope that helps,
Title: Scripting Downsizing?
Post by: Ben Rubinstein on May 04, 2009, 02:30:06 pm
Quote from: Jack Flesher
For the script, you can add a final "fit image" option to your action, to set maximum pixel dimension regardless of orientation.  In CS3/4 it is in File>Automate>Fit Image.  So for example, if you want all of your jpegs downsized to 1200 maximum in either dimension I would downsize horizontally all to Verticalx1200 pix, then add the Fit Image step and set the parameters to 1200 vertical and 1200 horizontal.  Obviously any horizontal jpeg will be something like 800x1200 already fit and be ignored by the script, while the taller verticals that are say 1800x1200 will get sized to 1200x800.

Hope that helps,

Why didn't I know that before? Very useful to know, thanks Jack.
Title: Scripting Downsizing?
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on May 04, 2009, 02:47:05 pm
Quote from: pom
Why didn't I know that before? Very useful to know, thanks Jack.

That's why Jack's name is on my short list of forum members who give good, useful info. I did not know that either. Thanks, Jack!




Title: Scripting Downsizing?
Post by: Jack Flesher on May 05, 2009, 10:28:57 am
My pleasure guys, happy to help!

,
Title: Scripting Downsizing?
Post by: Fulvio Senore on May 18, 2009, 01:06:43 pm
Quote from: Randy Carone
According to Mr. Schewe, and I concur, it is no longer necessary to up or downsize in 10% increments in PS, expecially if you use the Bicubic Smoother to enlarge and Bicubic Sharper to reduce.

I have released the software, so there is an example page available:

http://www.fsoft.it/imaging/en/Esempi.htm (http://www.fsoft.it/imaging/en/Esempi.htm)

I think that Photoshop is far from optimal for large downsizing.

Fulvio Senore