Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Adobe Lightroom Q&A => Topic started by: Craig Brewer on April 24, 2009, 01:02:17 am

Title: Should Lightroom 2 update overwrite previous version?
Post by: Craig Brewer on April 24, 2009, 01:02:17 am

I bought the Lightroom 2 update today and downloaded it on my iMac and instead of overwriting on top of the older version it made a new one. Now I have two, is this normal, can I delete the older version without messing anything up?
Title: Should Lightroom 2 update overwrite previous version?
Post by: john beardsworth on April 24, 2009, 02:28:50 am
Quote from: Craig Brewer
I bought the Lightroom 2 update today and downloaded it on my iMac and instead of overwriting on top of the older version it made a new one. Now I have two, is this normal, can I delete the older version without messing anything up?

The catalogue or the program? When LR2 opens for the first time, it preserves your old catalogue as a safety measure, and creates a new catalogue in the format for LR2. You can delete the LR1 catalogue, but wait till you're happy LR2 is stable and back up the old one, just in case.

John
Title: Should Lightroom 2 update overwrite previous version?
Post by: The Vulcan on April 24, 2009, 02:42:20 am
Just done exactly the same on my Imac and removed the original version - no problems.
Title: Should Lightroom 2 update overwrite previous version?
Post by: wolfnowl on April 24, 2009, 03:03:50 am
You can keep or uninstall your Lightroom 1 software, your choice.  The only thing you can't do is have both Lightroom 1 and Lightroom 2 open at the same time.  As has been mentioned, Lightroom 2 will convert your Lightroom catalogue for use with Lightroom 2.

Mike.
Title: Should Lightroom 2 update overwrite previous version?
Post by: Craig Brewer on April 24, 2009, 02:06:25 pm
Thanks for the info. Deleted it and everything is intact and working fine.