Luminous Landscape Forum
Equipment & Techniques => Medium Format / Film / Digital Backs – and Large Sensor Photography => Topic started by: MyEcholalia on April 21, 2009, 12:05:41 pm
-
Hi all,
this is my first post here, so please bear with me... I have been shooting with a Canon DSLR system so far and recently got myself a used RZ67 Pro II. Currently, I shooting film with it and scan the negatives with a Minolta Multi Pro scanner. Works absolutely fine so far, but is quite time consuming.
Now I am starting to think about a "cheap" entry into MFDB, and stumbled upon the Imacon 132C as a fairly reasonably priced option. I don't mind the added ImageBank when shooting on location, and mainly shoot abstract, architecture, less people shots.
Does anybody have experience with the combination of the RZ and the 132C? Any inherent flaws with this? Can the back be rotated on the RZ67?
Thanks for any hints from this forum! Looking forward to spend more time here in the future.
Best regards, Thorsten
-
The Imacon 132C is a fine 22MP back. It is capable of producing excellent files. The ImageBank isn't that bad of an inconvenience. The 40GB storage is a plus. I sometimes found the long cable to be a bit finicky when shooting tethered to a computer. Of course, like any 22MP single shot back, moire can creep up in certain situations. I used the 16MP square version of that chip in its multi-shot sibling, the 384C. It worked flawlessly with a Mamiya AFD.
-
John,
thanks so much for your detailed answer. The main reason for choosing the RZ as a platform was that I just love the WLF, the size and clarity of the ground glass, and the overall "slow" experience when shooting with it. Plus, I am a 6x7 fan. It's a bit of an emotional thing for me. So, I won't mind the additional complications with the ImageBank etc., if that enables me to shoot digital directly. Love your "walk on the moon" analogy, BTW.
I'll dig around some more and see it I find an Imacon with RZ plate for a reasonable price. Thanks for offering to provide some contacts. Will get back to you on that if needed.
Best regards, Thorsten
-
Hasselblad/Imacon do not make the plate for the RZ.....
Yes we do!
-
John,
thanks so much for your detailed answer. The main reason for choosing the RZ as a platform was that I just love the WLF, the size and clarity of the ground glass, and the overall "slow" experience when shooting with it. Plus, I am a 6x7 fan. It's a bit of an emotional thing for me. So, I won't mind the additional complications with the ImageBank etc., if that enables me to shoot digital directly. Love your "walk on the moon" analogy, BTW.
I'll dig around some more and see it I find an Imacon with RZ plate for a reasonable price. Thanks for offering to provide some contacts. Will get back to you on that if needed.
Best regards, Thorsten
You only need to find your 132C, you can always buy an RZ plate from a Hasselblad dealer.
-
I stand corrected. David, a challenge, show a picture of the RZ to Imacon adapter. Little things like that may seem trivial ("call your dealer" kind of items) but it helps to sell the product and sell the compatibility. I have known about the Imacon i-adapters since day 1, but knowing that it's a single oversized plate adapter, that would otherwise be accomplished by a digital back with a mount and a separate plate as from other companies, is not presented well at all by Hasselblad.
No probs...
http://www.hasselblad.com/media/133781/uk_...atasheet_v2.pdf (http://www.hasselblad.com/media/133781/uk_cf_datasheet_v2.pdf)
Admittedly it is for the later CF back but the i-adapters are the same!
Best
David
-
David,
thanks for the link. Just to be on the safe side: The CF plates for RZ are identical to the iAdapter, right? So, if I find a 132c I can just buy a CF plate for RZ and both work together. Would be great if you could briefly confirm.
Best regards, Thorsten
-
David,
thanks for the link. Just to be on the safe side: The CF plates for RZ are identical to the iAdapter, right? So, if I find a 132c I can just buy a CF plate for RZ and both work together. Would be great if you could briefly confirm.
Best regards, Thorsten
Yes! You are correct.
David
-
It is found on the Hasselblad USA site:
http://hasselbladusa.com/media/133781/uk_cf_datasheet_v2.pdf (http://hasselbladusa.com/media/133781/uk_cf_datasheet_v2.pdf)
With regard to technical nomenclature, downloads, brochures, PDFs, and other material, you will find Hasselblad USA site to be identical to the worldwide site. The differences between the various, country-specific Hasselblad sites, relates to promotions, currency, and contact details.
Regards,
Jordan Miller
That's exactly what buyers need. Why is that not found on the USA site?
-
Hi John,
you could be the right person to help me here. I'm also a commercial portraitist and I'm looking for ways to move back to my RZ, digitally, from the DSLR world. I'm spending this year shooting new work to re-develop my portfolio, so money is tight, but I'm sick and tired of using DSLR's. The "keepers" in my portfolio were all shot with the RZ, on film, an option I no longer have (no labs close enough for quick turnaround).
I've got the old original RZ (not even the ProII), so if I go this route I know I'm going to need to get the ProIID.
So let me ask two senarios.
If you had $30,000+ to spend on a digital back for the RZ, considering the object would be to shoot people and environmental portraits, what backs would you consider? Or would you be looking at another platform (H3D31 or the new Mamiya 645DF or DL33?)
If your budget was very tight, what backs would you consider putting on the RZ - again for shooting environmental portraiture, massive MP's not required?
How do you find shooting with the RZ lenses wide open on a DB? That is one of my favourite ways to shoot people with the RZ - the lenses like that have a character and feel all their own - at least full frame on film.
Many thanks for your thoughts.
nick
-
Nick have a look at this portfolio (http://www.dangoldsmithphotography.co.uk/dgp.html) all done on RZ ProII (not D) with 22MP and 33MP Leaf backs. Our backs work on your camera as well.
Hope this helps, yair
-
I've got the old original RZ (not even the ProII)
That's okay. The original RZ will work the same way as the RZII with backs does, which means:
- With Leaf backs you can use a Leaf adapter plus cable that will accept Mamiya 645AFD-mount backs.
- With Phase One backs, you can use an adapter and cables that will accept a Hasselblad V-mount back.
- Sinar backs have adapter plates.
- Hasselblad CF backs have adapter plates.
Representatives and dealers: Please add or correct any information shown above if I some how screwed up.
-
That's okay. The original RZ will work the same way as the RZII with backs does, which means:
- With Leaf backs you can use a Leaf adapter plus cable that will accept Mamiya 645AFD-mount backs.
Representatives and dealers: Please add or correct any information shown above if I some how screwed up.
Or H-mount backs or V-mount backs or AFi-mount backs, we make 4 adapters.
BR
Yair
-
Nick,
Having the 36x48 sensor helps on the RZ since you lose a lot of focusing screen real estate.
I have a Mamiya AFDII system and it works fine but lacks any mojo when shooting people. Whereas with the RZ and waistlevel, the camera seems to hit easier placement.
The RZ lenses are nice but wide open still show a little purple fringing here and there, cleans up easily. Fall off is nice on the lenses. But since the A22 sensor is much smaller than a 6x7 film frame, there just isn't the same visual look which is expected.
Environmental portraiture and still life are mainly what I want the RZ for. I really dig hand cranking the shutter every shot. A feeling that makes it less "digital". At the same time I just haven't brought myself to shoot film in a long time though.
Thanks for the feedback guys!
Good point about the sensor size. I'm more interested in getting a larger sensor for lens coverage than for MP..... 20MP is fine for 99.9 % of my clients.
I think I'm going to have to try and rent/borrow a rig to test. I want see how the visual look of the lens is affected with the way I shoot. That's the reason I really love the RZ - set me up with the 90mm wide open and some Portra...... love it! To my eyes, or the way I shoot, the RZ has the most character of all the MF cameras. If I lose that RZ look/feel when slapping on a DB back, I might be better served with the H3D or Mamiya 645 options (for the new pricing and availability of rentals). I've read about a few hacks to put a good loupe on the H3D so you can shoot it waist level (the WLF that they sell is an after thought piece of trash IMO - shocking for a company that sold waist level cameras for how many years....).
Thanks!
nick
-
...
- With Leaf backs you can use a Leaf adapter plus cable that will accept Mamiya 645AFD-mount backs.
....
May I ask to clarify:
CAN I use an AFD-mount Phase One back (I have P30) with RZ / RZII by means of a Leaf adapter???
Unfortunately, I couldn't get a clear answer from my local PO dealer on this. The only thing I know that I had to have a Hassy-mount PO back to work with Mamiya RZ
-
Maybe Yair can tell us if AFD-mount Phase backs will work with the Leaf RZ adapters.
I know that there are two Leaf AFD to RZ adapters: 1 for the 36x48 chip backs, and 1 for the smaller ones (Aptus 65/17). So if both will work, you'd need the right one for whatever Phase back you have.
Also, I'm wondering if there is a new Leaf AFD to RZ adapter for the new 56MP FF back? Or do the current ones that work with the Aptus 75 work with the new bigger chip?
-
Maybe Yair can tell us if AFD-mount Phase backs will work with the Leaf RZ adapters.
Please Yair, can you advise?