Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Medium Format / Film / Digital Backs – and Large Sensor Photography => Topic started by: Richard Morwood on April 13, 2009, 05:58:43 pm

Title: Sources of information on tilt and shift photography
Post by: Richard Morwood on April 13, 2009, 05:58:43 pm
I would appreciate any recommendations on books/reviews/websites dedicated to tilt and shift photography. I am using a Hasselblad H3D 39 and am currently "playing" with the new HTS adapter and this is an area of photography that I am wholly unfamiliar with. I have googled the subject in various guises but haven't had much success in getting readable and interesting information. Any advice would be much appreciated.
Regards
Richard
Title: Sources of information on tilt and shift photography
Post by: Dick Roadnight on April 13, 2009, 06:37:36 pm
Quote from: Richard Morwood
I would appreciate any recommendations on books/reviews/websites dedicated to tilt and shift photography. I am using a Hasselblad H3D 39 and am currently "playing" with the new HTS adapter Richard

I had three Sinars before I bought my H3D11-50, so I suppose I was biased towards "proper" view cameras before I read about the HTS... but if you had inquired about it before buying it...

Having said that, it might be a cost-effective tool for what you want.

The Flexbody was (is) a good cost-effective tool, as it gives (on the 120 Macro-planar at least) useful movements without the cost of additional lenses.

Have you got Harold Merklinger's book "focusing the View camera"? This is the bible.
Title: Sources of information on tilt and shift photography
Post by: Richard Morwood on April 13, 2009, 06:44:27 pm
Quote from: Dick Roadnight
I had three Sinars before I bought my H3D11-50, so I suppose I was biased towards "proper" view cameras before I read about the HTS... but if you had inquired about it before buying it...

Having said that, it might be a cost-effective tool for what you want.

The Flexbody was (is) a good cost-effective tool, as it gives (on the 120 Macro-planar at least) useful movements without the cost of additional lenses.

Have you got Harold Merklinger's book "focusing the View camera"? This is the bible.
Hi Dick
I haven't bought the HTS adapter ......yet, but have hired one for the Easter weekend. I haven't been totally clueless as to it's use but I certainly have a whole lot to learn and undoubtedly put into practice again and again and again.....
Thanks for the tip on Harold Merklinger's book I shall look into that.
Regards
Richard
Title: Sources of information on tilt and shift photography
Post by: elf on April 14, 2009, 01:22:05 am
Quote from: Richard Morwood
Hi Dick
I haven't bought the HTS adapter ......yet, but have hired one for the Easter weekend. I haven't been totally clueless as to it's use but I certainly have a whole lot to learn and undoubtedly put into practice again and again and again.....
Thanks for the tip on Harold Merklinger's book I shall look into that.
Regards
Richard
Link to Merklinger's books: http://www.trenholm.org/hmmerk/ (http://www.trenholm.org/hmmerk/)
Title: Sources of information on tilt and shift photography
Post by: Dick Roadnight on April 14, 2009, 05:50:29 pm
Quote from: Richard Morwood
Hi Dick
I haven't bought the HTS adapter ......yet, but have hired one for the Easter weekend. Regards Richard
The HTS is smaller and lighter than a Sinar, and, if you want something to put in your rucksack in case you wand to photograph some alpine flowers with an mountain in the background, it might be a useful tool
Title: Sources of information on tilt and shift photography
Post by: archivue on April 14, 2009, 08:37:48 pm
Quote from: Dick Roadnight
The HTS is smaller and lighter than a Sinar, and, if you want something to put in your rucksack in case you wand to photograph some alpine flowers with an mountain in the background, it might be a useful tool


for that use, i will go for an arca Fline 69 metric and digital lenses, but that's a personal preference... the HTS give you a reflex viewfinder...
Title: Sources of information on tilt and shift photography
Post by: Dale Allyn on April 15, 2009, 08:17:54 pm
Richard,

I don't know if you came across these, but if not, maybe you'll get something from them:

The Sheimpflug Principle (http://doug.kerr.home.att.net/pumpkin/Scheimpflug.pdf)

Article on L.L. main site (http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/focusing-ts.shtml)


Rgds,

Dale
Title: Sources of information on tilt and shift photography
Post by: Richard Morwood on April 16, 2009, 02:28:12 pm
Quote from: DFAllyn
Richard,

I don't know if you came across these, but if not, maybe you'll get something from them:

The Sheimpflug Principle (http://doug.kerr.home.att.net/pumpkin/Scheimpflug.pdf)

Article on L.L. main site (http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/focusing-ts.shtml)


Rgds,

Dale
Thanks Dick, elf and Dale.  I have now got lots of information to wade through and who knows some of it may stick! Thanks again for your help and advice.
Regards
Richard