Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Medium Format / Film / Digital Backs – and Large Sensor Photography => Topic started by: Henry Goh on April 08, 2009, 08:51:57 am

Title: P30+ and Sinar P2
Post by: Henry Goh on April 08, 2009, 08:51:57 am
I'm very keen on getting this back except for one reservation:
I know with the sensor microlenses, the back will have color shifts if I started shifting and tilting. However, my dealer tells me that this will only happen if my tilts exceed 20 degrees or so. Is this true? Is he correct? I only need this back on my Sinar P2 for maybe 10% of the time, if not less but I would like to be able to use it when I need some tilt for better DOF on product shoots - food, jewellery etc.

I hope to hear from people who have experience with the P30+ and technical cameras. Thanks in advance.
Title: P30+ and Sinar P2
Post by: Joe Behar on April 08, 2009, 09:23:17 am
Quote from: Henry Goh
I'm very keen on getting this back except for one reservation:
I know with the sensor microlenses, the back will have color shifts if I started shifting and tilting. However, my dealer tells me that this will only happen if my tilts exceed 20 degrees or so. Is this true? Is he correct? I only need this back on my Sinar P2 for maybe 10% of the time, if not less but I would like to be able to use it when I need some tilt for better DOF on product shoots - food, jewellery etc.

I hope to hear from people who have experience with the P30+ and technical cameras. Thanks in advance.

Henry,

The amount of lens cast you may encounter is affected a lot by the lens. Its really impossible to say that you're OK up to 20 degree movements. I've seen some cases where there is a lens cast with zero movement and others where large tilts produced only a minor cast. I would suggest you invite your dealer to your studio for a demo and detrmine on your own.

Title: P30+ and Sinar P2
Post by: Henry Goh on April 08, 2009, 09:32:59 am
Quote from: Joe Behar
Henry,

The amount of lens cast you may encounter is affected a lot by the lens. Its really impossible to say that you're OK up to 20 degree movements. I've seen some cases where there is a lens cast with zero movement and others where large tilts produced only a minor cast. I would suggest you invite your dealer to your studio for a demo and detrmine on your own.

Does it mean that it is also influenced by lens to sensor plane distance?

Title: P30+ and Sinar P2
Post by: schaubild on April 08, 2009, 09:33:38 am
This is what Sinar says about their 65LV back which uses the same sensor:

"
Do not use the Sinarback eSprit 65 LV with view cameras.
The Sinarback eSprit 65 LV is equipped with microlenses. It is not recommended to use this camera on view cameras or other cameras that enable displacement. A non-compliance with this advice can lead to undesirable image effects.
"

From the manual, page 3. As far as I remember PhaseOne uses similar warnings. Time for a talk with your dealer.
Title: P30+ and Sinar P2
Post by: Henry Goh on April 08, 2009, 09:36:28 am
Quote from: schaubild
This is what Sinar says about their 65LV back which uses the same sensor:

"
Do not use the Sinarback eSprit 65 LV with view cameras.
The Sinarback eSprit 65 LV is equipped with microlenses. It is not recommended to use this camera on view cameras or other cameras that enable displacement. A non-compliance with this advice can lead to undesirable image effects.
"

From the manual, page 3. As far as I remember PhaseOne uses similar warnings. Time for a talk with your dealer.

hmm.. that is a pity.  I may have to re-look at Leaf Aptus 6 II
Title: P30+ and Sinar P2
Post by: Joe Behar on April 08, 2009, 09:55:31 am
Quote from: Henry Goh
Does it mean that it is also influenced by lens to sensor plane distance?


Only in that wider lenses tend to show more of a cast than longer ones. So yes, by default that also means lens to sensor distance when you're using a view camera.

May I suggest that you stick with your plan for a P30+ as you have said it will cover 90% of your needs? For the other 10% you can always rent a P25+ or P45+ if needed.
Title: P30+ and Sinar P2
Post by: Henry Goh on April 08, 2009, 09:59:17 am
Thank you Joe.


Title: P30+ and Sinar P2
Post by: yaya on April 08, 2009, 11:04:51 am
Most if not all digital backs will produce colour casts on a view camera with the amount depending on the lens used, aperture, displacement etc.

Manufacturers provide software solutions that correct colour casts, however the KAF-31600 Kodak sensor is known for producing more acute casts compared to other sensors, that cannot be corrected 100%

Yair
Title: P30+ and Sinar P2
Post by: micmatthews on April 08, 2009, 02:02:35 pm
Quote from: Henry Goh
I'm very keen on getting this back except for one reservation:
I know with the sensor microlenses, the back will have color shifts if I started shifting and tilting. However, my dealer tells me that this will only happen if my tilts exceed 20 degrees or so. Is this true? Is he correct? I only need this back on my Sinar P2 for maybe 10% of the time, if not less but I would like to be able to use it when I need some tilt for better DOF on product shoots - food, jewellery etc.

I hope to hear from people who have experience with the P30+ and technical cameras. Thanks in advance.

I have some clients that use a P30+ on a view camera. However, I make sure all of them test it and use it first. I have also had many people
test the P30+ on a view camera and get to much color case do to the micro filter. You will be able to see the color cast if your tilts and shifts are
to much.
Title: P30+ and Sinar P2
Post by: Henry Goh on April 08, 2009, 02:06:41 pm
Quote from: micmatthews
I have some clients that use a P30+ on a view camera. However, I make sure all of them test it and use it first. I have also had many people
test the P30+ on a view camera and get to much color case do to the micro filter. You will be able to see the color cast if your tilts and shifts are
to much.


Thank you Michelle.

I guess I'll just leave those technical cameras in storage if I go with this back.
Title: P30+ and Sinar P2
Post by: footoograaf on April 08, 2009, 02:18:46 pm
What about P21(non plus)?Does it have same problems as P30/+
Title: P30+ and Sinar P2
Post by: cjmonty on April 08, 2009, 02:21:35 pm
Quote from: footoograaf
What about P21(non plus)?Does it have same problems as P30/+
You could also get a refurb P45, no micro lenses.
But it still gets lens cast with LF lenses and even the Mamiya 50mm/4 shift lens
Title: P30+ and Sinar P2
Post by: footoograaf on April 08, 2009, 02:57:57 pm
^
I already have P21 and possibility to buy cheap LF camera.
Title: P30+ and Sinar P2
Post by: Carsten W on April 08, 2009, 03:21:27 pm
Quote from: footoograaf
^
I already have P21 and possibility to buy cheap LF camera.

Here is a Phase One forum discussion which might be useful. The P21 has microlenses: http://forum.phaseone.com/En/viewtopic.php...p;sk=t&sd=a (http://forum.phaseone.com/En/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5458&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a)
Title: P30+ and Sinar P2
Post by: footoograaf on April 08, 2009, 05:27:24 pm
^
Thanks for the link.