Luminous Landscape Forum
Equipment & Techniques => Medium Format / Film / Digital Backs – and Large Sensor Photography => Topic started by: mtomalty on April 07, 2009, 05:27:15 pm
-
Looking for information about the white diffusion insert for this reflector. ( Broncolor Softlight Reflector-20" )
Can anyone tell me if it is in a flexible acrylic type material or is it a more rigid
opaque glass material?
Also,when inserted into the retaining slot on the reflector are the edges light tight,i.e if used for
face/eye closeup is the reflection in the eye a clean circle or is there some spill that has to be dealt with?
Thx,
Mark
-
the diffusor is a translucent white gel in a wooden frame.
there is no spray light.
Softlight reflector P
Article no. 33.110.00
Soft light aluminium reflector with incorporated counter reflector and Pulso bayonet mount.
http://www.bron.ch/bc_pd_ps_en/detail.php?nr=1421 (http://www.bron.ch/bc_pd_ps_en/detail.php?nr=1421)
also available with white surface and a fabric diffusor
Reflector "Beauty Dish"
Article no. 33.111.00
Soft light aluminium reflector with inside a white reflecting surface, an incorporated counter reflector and Pulso bayonet mount.
http://www.bron.ch/bc_pd_ps_en/detail.php?nr=14658 (http://www.bron.ch/bc_pd_ps_en/detail.php?nr=14658)
best regards
-
the diffusor is a translucent white gel in a wooden frame.
there is no spray light.
A bit disappointing to hear that the diffuser is a gel.
Combined with the fact the diffuser sits no more than about 8 inches from
the modelling lamp and flashtube (admittedly with a thin aluminum diffuser in between) I would be
worried about heat issues with a gel-based product.
Really makes me question the price tag of over $400 Cdn.
Thanks for the information.
Will help make a more informed purchase
Mark
-
I would be worried about heat issues with a gel-based product.
there are no heat issues. my reflector works since years...
-
no heat issues with mine burning a 650w modeling lamp.
-
Thanks guys.
Good to know that heat is not an issue
Mark
-
no heat issues with mine burning a 650w modeling lamp.
Do you really like the 650 watt modelling lights?
I am all Bron in my studio. I am looking for a new studio location. Just wondering whether it is worth having 220 volt installed (here in the US - it is not that common.) Just a matter of swapping bulbs on most packs.
Aside from normal modelling light use, I thought it might mix well with my Ianiro hot lights for video. I could use all of my Bron modifers of course.
Thanks!
Michael
-
Please contact your local Bron dealer for clarification, but I have been informed that although you can do it there is a reduction in recycle speed due to voltage conversion/protection circuitry when using multi voltage packs that are sold in 110v "native"markets. ie 220v will actually recycle slower than 110v. I was told this by my local bron agent as I am scouring the world looking for Opus A2 and A4 packs. I have also had this independently confirmed by a friend who bought a couple of Grafit's from the US, and they do indeed recycle slower than his "native" 220v bi-voltage packs. The bi-voltage is really intended only as a temporary use/travel feature.
Cheers,
Jason.
-
ie 220v will actually recycle slower than 110v
might be true for the 15 years old Opus.
the latest power packs Verso and Scoro switch automaticly to mains voltage.
Verso A2 with 1200 ws
Charging time at fast charge (for 100 % of selected energy)
0.2 - 0.8 s (200-240 V)
0.2 - 0.9 s (110-120 V)
Scoro A2 with 1600 ws
Charging time (for 100 % of selected energy)
230 V 0.03 - 1.1 s
120 V 0.03 - 1.5 s
100 V 0.03 - 2.5 s
Scoro A2S with 1600 ws
Charging time (for 100 % of selected energy)
230 V 0.02 - 0.6 s
120 V 0.02 - 1.0 s
100 V 0.02 - 1.1 s
Scoro A2S with 1200 ws
Charging time speed mode (for 100 % of selected energy)
230 V 0.02 - 0.4 s
120 V 0.02 - 0.6 s
100 V 0.02 - 0.7 s
http://www.bron.ch/bc_do_ds_en/index.php (http://www.bron.ch/bc_do_ds_en/index.php)
regards
-
Yes they have changed it for Scoros, but "mmurph" was referring to doing something with his existing gear, which unless he has bought it in the last few months, will be either Grafit, Topaz, Nano, Opus, Primo or Pulso, as he referred to packs. He could even have Flashman packs for all I know, but unless he has Scoro, this is an issue, not the end of the world, but worth noting.
Cheers.
-
Thanks!
I think there are lots of variations on the pack voltage issue, depending on models. Broncolor has had a lot of different engineering strategies over the years.
I have a number of Topas packs, three A2 and three A4. As far as I can tell by looking at the instructions, there is just one version of the pack. It apparentlyadapts to either 110 or 220 volts. The same recycle time is listed for both voltages.
I also have some Pulso A4 packs. Some are 110 volt only. One is 220 volt only, so I obviously would use that one for 220.
I think there is also a bi-voltage version of the Pulso that has the issue that was mentioned, ie: slower recycle when converted than when on "native" voltage.
Good info. I guess I stole the thread a bit, somewhat OT, but I think the OP has his answer.
Thanks again!
Michael
-
Do you really like the 650 watt modelling lights?
I am all Bron in my studio. I am looking for a new studio location. Just wondering whether it is worth having 220 volt installed (here in the US - it is not that common.) Just a matter of swapping bulbs on most packs.
Aside from normal modelling light use, I thought it might mix well with my Ianiro hot lights for video. I could use all of my Bron modifers of course.
Thanks!
Michael
I was shooting mostly 8x10 when I first bought my pulso 8's.. they only came in 220v, also the compuls160 mono's were 220v..so I wired my studio with that so all the packs would be in relation to each other.. I bought some opus a4's and had to special order from eu to get them here in 220v..
The 8's are a bit overkill on digital but I do like the option of shooting tungsten with the 650's..or just working on a bright set..so yes I like them.
I am not sure about the speed of recycling but I now the 220v drew less amps, in terms of surge.. I could have about 50,000 ws pop with about 3k in modeling lights and not trip my breakers.
-
A very belated "thank you" Paul!!
I just bought a Broncolor Verso today to add to my kit. I am going to set up some heads with a 650 watt modelling light for location - 1 head bounced into a Para, etc. First time I will have real modelling lights on battery (I have Mobil and Litepac units now.)
I am also going to set up the studio for 240 volt to get 650 watt modelling, especially for video. That way I can use my same modifiers - fresnel, Para, Moila, etc. on video. I also have Bron HMI for more power on video.
I can also set up a second set on 120 volt for my "normal" location equip. I don't see much downside, as long as I label the heads with the correct voltage/wattage!
Best,
Michael
-
Just to share my experience, on the Verso, total modelling light output can not be more than 650W on a pack. That is, you can only turn on 1 head with a 650W bulb, if two heads were turned on with a total of 1300W, the modeling will auto off. Only way to get around this if you wanna use 2 heads with modeling is to use 300W bulbs or turn on modeling 1 head at a time.
Best,
Eric
A very belated "thank you" Paul!!
I just bought a Broncolor Verso today to add to my kit. I am going to set up some heads with a 650 watt modelling light for location - 1 head bounced into a Para, etc. First time I will have real modelling lights on battery (I have Mobil and Litepac units now.)
I am also going to set up the studio for 240 volt to get 650 watt modelling, especially for video. That way I can use my same modifiers - fresnel, Para, Moila, etc. on video. I also have Bron HMI for more power on video.
I can also set up a second set on 120 volt for my "normal" location equip. I don't see much downside, as long as I label the heads with the correct voltage/wattage!
Best,
Michael
-
Thanks Eric!
this is what I get from the Bron specs:
Modelling light, Mains Operation:
for 200 - 240 V:
Halogen max. 3 x 650 W
for 100 - 120 V:
Halogen max. 3 x 300 W
Modelling light, Battery Operation:
for 200 - 240 V:
Halogen max. 1 x 650 W
2 x 300 W
3 x 150 W
for 100 - 120 V:
Halogen max. 2 x 300 W
3 x 150 W
-
Yes , that's right, forgot to mention in my post that's it's for battery operation.
Enjoy your Verso, they're great! (albeit a bit heavy with power dock)
Cheers,
Eric
Thanks Eric!
this is what I get from the Bron specs:
Modelling light, Mains Operation:
for 200 - 240 V:
Halogen max. 3 x 650 W
for 100 - 120 V:
Halogen max. 3 x 300 W
Modelling light, Battery Operation:
for 200 - 240 V:
Halogen max. 1 x 650 W
2 x 300 W
3 x 150 W
for 100 - 120 V:
Halogen max. 2 x 300 W
3 x 150 W
-
Enjoy your Verso, they're great! (albeit a bit heavy with power dock)
Just got it yesterday!
I am glad I got an A2. I would have bought an A4 without thinking for more power, but if I had I think I would regret that it was quite so big and heavy for location.
It is nice to have a location pack that I can also use in the studio too! I have a Mobil for when I need to go lighter, like street work. I will use the Verso when I haul bigger equipment like the Para for a fixed location. Nice combination.
Of course the Mobil was a PITA in the studio without the AC adapter. But the adapter cost about as much as a used Topas A2 AC pack anyway ...
Thanks again! Toys ....
Best,
Michael