Luminous Landscape Forum
Equipment & Techniques => Medium Format / Film / Digital Backs – and Large Sensor Photography => Topic started by: henrikfoto on April 07, 2009, 04:43:39 pm
-
I am thinking of buying the Hasselblad HC 50-110mm. I know it´s a large and heavy lens,
but how is the af compared to the other H-lenses like the 35 and 80?
I would be happy if anyone who has used this lens can share their knowledge.
Henrik
-
AF speed is a subjective thing naturally. Quit frankly I find all 3 mentioned lenses quite slow. Compared to my Nikon lenses there is no fast AF on any Hasselblad lens. The AF performance of the 50-110 in my experience/perception isn't much different from the 35 & 80 (maybe a bit slower than the 80 but I don't use that too often anymore). It is slower than the 100 (which I use a lot) and much slower than the 150 (which I use now & than). The zoom is my second most used lens and I don't find the AF performance in the way of what I do but than again almost nothing of what I photograph is fast moving or unpredictable stuff.
-
I am thinking of buying the Hasselblad HC 50-110mm. I know it´s a large and heavy lens,
but how is the af compared to the other H-lenses like the 35 and 80?
I would be happy if anyone who has used this lens can share their knowledge.
Henrik
I have the 50-110 in my kit and it is my most used lens by far. It is a heavy lens but it is easy to get used to (most of my work is shot from a tripod) also the quality of the images produced with this lens are amazing, I would highly recommend it. The af is slow, against 35mm DSLR, but that isn't my I shoot MF...it feels pretty much like all the other lenses as far as af speed goes. I have to say it is the quality that blew me away, I've never been a zoom person, they have always felt like a real compromise, but not with this lens.
All the best
Bronek
-
Thanks a lot for good information!
Henrik
-
I totally echo your comments
I have the 50-110 in my kit and it is my most used lens by far. It is a heavy lens but it is easy to get used to (most of my work is shot from a tripod) also the quality of the images produced with this lens are amazing, I would highly recommend it. The af is slow, against 35mm DSLR, but that isn't my I shoot MF...it feels pretty much like all the other lenses as far as af speed goes. I have to say it is the quality that blew me away, I've never been a zoom person, they have always felt like a real compromise, but not with this lens.
All the best
Bronek
-
I am thinking of buying the Hasselblad HC 50-110mm. I know it´s a large and heavy lens,
but how is the af compared to the other H-lenses like the 35 and 80?
I would be happy if anyone who has used this lens can share their knowledge.
Henrik
I agree with all of the above sentiments regarding the AF speed of the 50-110 zoom but it is a beautiful lens. However a REALLY beautiful lens and noticably quicker AF is the new 35-90 zoom. I had a play with it a few weeks ago and it really is noticably faster and very responsive in AF. Very well balanced too in the hand and from what I could tell wonderfully sharp. Of course amazingly priced too but can't have everything I suppose!
Regards
Richard
-
I agree with all of the above sentiments regarding the AF speed of the 50-110 zoom but it is a beautiful lens. However a REALLY beautiful lens and noticably quicker AF is the new 35-90 zoom. I had a play with it a few weeks ago and it really is noticably faster and very responsive in AF. Very well balanced too in the hand and from what I could tell wonderfully sharp. Of course amazingly priced too but can't have everything I suppose!
Regards
Richard
Just too bad it has to be used with a Hasselblad back and not a Phase one......
The new Hasselblad policy.....
-
Just too bad it has to be used with a Hasselblad back and not a Phase one......
The new Hasselblad policy.....
Hi,
I have the 50-110 and find the AF to very good, as mentioned above this is always said with the caveat of what you are comparing it with and what you think is fast or slow? I will be shooting this weekend with the new zoom 35-90 and I think it will be very noticeable the improvements in AF. I have always found the AF of the hasselblad to one of the best if not the best from my experience. I would tend to think that the new 35-90 will be the stand out lens when now considering the zoom option as it give a great range mainly giving me three key lens as in 35,50 and 80 all in one great balance lens.
regards
PS will post some thoughts on the new zoom next week