Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Medium Format / Film / Digital Backs – and Large Sensor Photography => Topic started by: Graham Mitchell on April 05, 2009, 09:59:27 am

Title: Exposure and Captureshop no longer working
Post by: Graham Mitchell on April 05, 2009, 09:59:27 am
At the start of a shoot today, eXposure wouldn't start. The start screen would appear but then the program would stop responding. After a few restarts I uninstalled the software and reinstalled 6.1.1 a few times, but this didn't help. So I downloded the latest CaptureShop instead and installed that. It gets a bit further, showing the main layout but hen also stops responding.

I have to assume that this is a problem with the Mac OS, because it is very unlikely that fresh installations of 2 separate programs would fail like this (although it must be some component which these programs share).

Has anyone experienced anything like this? Any recommendations, short of completely reinstalling Mac OSX?
Title: Exposure and Captureshop no longer working
Post by: Snook on April 05, 2009, 10:14:56 am
Well did you change or update your software, OSX that is?
If not there is not way it just suddenly stop working...  

Good luck
Snook
Title: Exposure and Captureshop no longer working
Post by: Graham Mitchell on April 05, 2009, 10:34:48 am
Quote from: Snook
Well did you change or update your software, OSX that is?
If not there is not way it just suddenly stop working...

Nope. This is a weird one (or I wouldn't bother the forum with it!)
Title: Exposure and Captureshop no longer working
Post by: yaya on April 05, 2009, 10:36:48 am
Quote from: foto-z
Nope. This is a weird one (or I wouldn't bother the forum with it!)

Trash the prefs? maybe the apps are trying to load a folder with corrupted stuff in it?
Title: Exposure and Captureshop no longer working
Post by: rainer_v on April 05, 2009, 10:37:18 am
sounds if it could help to erase all sinar preferences you can find in your MacintishHd/Library/preferences folder.
maybe it helps....
Title: Exposure and Captureshop no longer working
Post by: Graham Mitchell on April 05, 2009, 10:58:19 am
Quote from: rainer_v
sounds if it could help to erase all sinar preferences you can find in your MacintishHd/Library/preferences folder.
maybe it helps....

When I uninstalled eXposure, I deleted all the following (as per the manual):

1. In the folder "Applications", the file "Sinar eXposure"
2. In the folder "user/Library/Preferences", the files "Sinar eXposure.sav" and "Sinar eXposure layout_LastRun.ini"
3. In the folder "user/Library/Logs", the file "Sinar eXposure.log"
4. In the folder "HD/Library/Application Support", the folder "Sinar eXposure"
5. In the folder "HD/Library/Frameworks", the files "JAPI1394m.framework" and "FireCamj.framework"
Title: Exposure and Captureshop no longer working
Post by: Carsten W on April 05, 2009, 03:02:01 pm
Quote from: foto-z
When I uninstalled eXposure, I deleted all the following (as per the manual):

1. In the folder "Applications", the file "Sinar eXposure"
2. In the folder "user/Library/Preferences", the files "Sinar eXposure.sav" and "Sinar eXposure layout_LastRun.ini"
3. In the folder "user/Library/Logs", the file "Sinar eXposure.log"
4. In the folder "HD/Library/Application Support", the folder "Sinar eXposure"
5. In the folder "HD/Library/Frameworks", the files "JAPI1394m.framework" and "FireCamj.framework"

Have you tried emptying the stuff in the Cache folder? It may have been halfway through something when it barfed.
Title: Exposure and Captureshop no longer working
Post by: PdF on April 05, 2009, 04:48:57 pm
Quote from: carstenw
Have you tried emptying the stuff in the Cache folder? It may have been halfway through something when it barfed.

I agree: open the Cache folder, and make it empty. It's the most usual cause of problems.

PdF
Title: Exposure and Captureshop no longer working
Post by: Graham Mitchell on April 05, 2009, 09:28:49 pm
Quote from: carstenw
Have you tried emptying the stuff in the Cache folder? It may have been halfway through something when it barfed.

I don't think there is one*, but there is a new clue.

If I leave Exposure running in "not responding" mode, it will eventually work. I hung around for 10 or 15 mins and it still didn't work but came back 6 hours later to check and it was running fine. So perhaps something hangs the program but times out after some time.

*(There was no Sinar folder in Users/(username)/Library/Caches)
Title: Exposure and Captureshop no longer working
Post by: HarperPhotos on April 05, 2009, 09:52:20 pm
Hi Graham,

This might be a dumb question but have you tried running your computer through Apple Jack?

It might help.

Cheers

Simon
Title: Exposure and Captureshop no longer working
Post by: Graham Mitchell on April 05, 2009, 09:56:34 pm
Quote from: HarperPhotos
Hi Graham,

This might be a dumb question but have you tried running your computer through Apple Jack?

It might help.

Cheers

Simon

No, but I ran Onyx which seems to be quite similar.
Title: Exposure and Captureshop no longer working
Post by: Graham Mitchell on April 05, 2009, 10:32:37 pm
Ok I timed the 'not responding' phase. 30 mins.

Title: Exposure and Captureshop no longer working
Post by: JerryReed on April 06, 2009, 06:17:39 am
Quote from: foto-z
Ok I timed the 'not responding' phase. 30 mins.

Graham,

Chris Franson, who works at Ulsaker in Connecticut ([email protected]) is invaluable in sticky situations like this, perhaps Chris can drill down to the bottom of your problem and see what is hanging you up.

Jerry Reed
Title: Exposure and Captureshop no longer working
Post by: Graham Mitchell on April 06, 2009, 06:24:45 am
Quote from: JerryReed
Graham,

Chris Franson, who works at Ulsaker in Connecticut ([email protected]) is invaluable in sticky situations like this, perhaps Chris can drill down to the bottom of your problem and see what is hanging you up.

Jerry Reed

Thanks, I have emailed him with a link to this thread.
Title: Exposure and Captureshop no longer working
Post by: Graham Mitchell on April 07, 2009, 10:24:39 am
RESOLVED

It seems that OSX was corrupted somewhere.

I tried everything on every Mac forum and other sources and nothing helped so I reinstalled OSX and now eXposure and Captureshop both work fine! A drastic fix, but effective.


Title: Exposure and Captureshop no longer working
Post by: Graham Mitchell on April 08, 2009, 05:22:56 am
OH NO, IT'S BACK!

eXposure won't run again and a complete uninstal and reinstal doesn't fix it. It's possible that I ran some OSX software updates since I got this working again. The last one was a Java update, if I remember correctly. Does eXposure use Java?

How can I be the only one experiencing this problem now that it has been shown to be repeatable?

Is anyone else running eXposure 6.1.1 with OSX 10.5.6 with all the latest updates?
Title: Exposure and Captureshop no longer working
Post by: Henry Goh on April 08, 2009, 06:43:34 am
It really scared the hell out of me when I read this post.  You are the foremost spokesman for Sinar backs and to hear you are in a jam with their software is frightening.  Hope you get this resolved soon.  Good luck.
Title: Exposure and Captureshop no longer working
Post by: bdp on April 08, 2009, 06:52:11 am
Hi Graham,

I can't help at all but just for the record I have no problem running 6.1.1 on my 3 Macs which are all loaded with 10.5.6 and always 'software updated' - a Dual G5 PowerMac, an Intel iMac and a new Intel Macbook Pro (shiny screen).  All used this week with eXposure, tethered, with no dramas. But after this thread I do hold my breath every time I start it!!

Could it be clashing with some other software you have installed? How about creating a new user account and installing JUST eXposure in that account to see if it still has problems?

Good luck with it - keep us informed.

Ben

PS Have you tried going back to 6.0.1??
Title: Exposure and Captureshop no longer working
Post by: Graham Mitchell on April 08, 2009, 06:53:05 am
Quote from: Henry Goh
It really scared the hell out of me when I read this post.  You are the foremost spokesman for Sinar backs and to hear you are in a jam with their software is frightening.  Hope you get this resolved soon.  Good luck.

At this stage I really don't know if it's Sinar software at all. I know that it worked until a few days ago, and again yesterday after I reinstalled 10.5.6.

However the reinstalled OSX was missing 10 updates, and I installed those later.

So it makes sense that it is a recent OSX update which is causing a problem. I might have to reinstall my OSX (again) and add updates one by one until I break eXposure, and then reinstall my OSX again and avoid that update.

On the other hand, if someone is using the same conbination of OSX and eXposure as I am, with latest OSX updates, and it works, then it might be something else.

So I am hoping to hear from someone using the same setup to see if it works for them.
Title: Exposure and Captureshop no longer working
Post by: Graham Mitchell on April 08, 2009, 06:56:07 am
Quote from: bdp
Hi Graham,

I can't help at all but just for the record I have no problem running 6.1.1 on my 3 Macs which are all loaded with 10.5.6 and always 'software updated' - a Dual G5 PowerMac, an Intel iMac and a new Intel Macbook Pro (shiny screen).  All used this week with eXposure, tethered, with no dramas. But after this thread I do hold my breath every time I start it!! Good luck with it - keep us informed.

Ben

Have you run the latest OSX updates?

Quote from: bdp
PS Have you tried going back to 6.0.1??

No, but if an earlier version avoids the conflict I would be happy to use it. Something to try.
Title: Exposure and Captureshop no longer working
Post by: bdp on April 08, 2009, 07:00:53 am
Quote from: foto-z
Have you run the latest OSX updates?


Yes, but I don't have a Intel Mac Pro tower yet - is that what you are using? Are software updates slightly different depending on processor/hardware configuration?

How about creating a new user account and installing just eXposure?

Ben
Title: Exposure and Captureshop no longer working
Post by: Graham Mitchell on April 08, 2009, 07:04:11 am
Quote from: bdp
PS Have you tried going back to 6.0.1??

That download is no longer on the Sinar server, unfortunately. Do you still have the DMG file?
Title: Exposure and Captureshop no longer working
Post by: Graham Mitchell on April 08, 2009, 07:07:14 am
Quote from: bdp
Yes, but I don't have a Intel Mac Pro tower yet - is that what you are using? Are software updates slightly different depending on processor/hardware configuration?

Macbook Pro (Intel). I don't think the software updates depend on the HW config, just a few drivers, but I could be wrong.

Quote from: bdp
How about creating a new user account and installing just eXposure?

I tried creatig a new user a few days ago, but the application is already installed for all users.

If it is an OSX problem, then a new user account won't change anything (and it didn't in this case).
Title: Exposure and Captureshop no longer working
Post by: bdp on April 08, 2009, 07:10:33 am
I've just sent you 6.0.1 via yousendit.

Shame about the user account thing not working.... thought it might be a software clash or something like that.

Ben
Title: Exposure and Captureshop no longer working
Post by: Graham Mitchell on April 08, 2009, 07:31:39 am
Quote from: bdp
I've just sent you 6.0.1 via yousendit.

Shame about the user account thing not working.... thought it might be a software clash or something like that.

Ben

Thanks, I installed 6.0.1 but that doesn't work. I had this version running for months on my machine with no problems before, so I still think an OSX update is the most likely culprit.
Title: Exposure and Captureshop no longer working
Post by: Graham Mitchell on April 08, 2009, 07:34:14 am
Ben, before I install a new OSX again, could I ask you to check your 'software update' under the Apple menu to check that you have the latest updates?

If it is an update doing this, it is probably around a week old, so very recent.
Title: Exposure and Captureshop no longer working
Post by: bdp on April 08, 2009, 07:46:50 am
Hi Graham,

OK, just checked my software update on my Intel iMac (home now) and it says I'm up to date. Launched eXposure and it launched fine. Pretty sure my laptop and old tower at my studio are also up to date and I use eXposure every day, so it doesn't look like a OS X thing to me. Hope this helps.....

Ben
Title: Exposure and Captureshop no longer working
Post by: Graham Mitchell on April 08, 2009, 07:52:34 am
Ouch. Thanks, Ben. So if this isn't an OSX issue, or an eXposure issue, then I'm out of ideas...

Especially when eXposure did start working again after I reinstalled OSX! Baffling...
Title: Exposure and Captureshop no longer working
Post by: Carsten W on April 08, 2009, 07:53:17 am
Graham, have you tried looking in the logs for any clues? Open the 'Console' application and then there should be logs for each program. You might look under LOG FILES/~/Library/Logs for a Sinar app section, or maybe there is something in the CrashReporter section. You could also start up Console, clear the log, then start up eXposure and see what it writes to the log before dying.
Title: Exposure and Captureshop no longer working
Post by: Graham Mitchell on April 08, 2009, 08:06:32 am
Quote from: carstenw
Graham, have you tried looking in the logs for any clues?

Here's the log for the past few minutes when I tried to start eXposure:

>> Log file started at 2009, Apr, 08, 15:04:54

Added debug context 'GUI '(1196771616) at index 1
unset channel 255
Added debug context 'ACOR'(1094930258) at index 2
Added debug context 'IMGL'(1229801292) at index 3
Added debug context 'DNGL'(1145980748) at index 4
Added debug context 'DNG '(1145980704) at index 5
Added debug context 'eyeR'(1702454610) at index 6
Added debug context 'JPEG'(1246774599) at index 7
Added debug context 'TIFF'(1414088262) at index 8
Added debug context 'HCOR'(1212370770) at index 9
Added debug context 'CCOR'(1128484690) at index 10
Added debug context 'eMoB'(1699573570) at index 11
eMotion_helper::eMotion_helper()eMotion Back - instance created: 0x1d5a934
Added debug context 'eSpB'(1699967042) at index 12
initializing FireCamJ now
Added debug context 'eVoB'(1700163394) at index 13
Added debug context 'C645'(1127625781) at index 14
Added debug context 'H H1'(1210075185) at index 15
Added debug context 'H V '(1210078752) at index 16
Added debug context 'M6FD'(1295402564) at index 17
Added debug context 'M6TL'(1295406156) at index 18
Added debug context 'M RB'(1293963842) at index 19
Added debug context 'M RZ'(1293963866) at index 20
Added debug context 'R608'(1379283000) at index 21
Added debug context 'R60X'(1379283032) at index 22
Added debug context 'RLCl'(1380729708) at index 23
Added debug context 'SLCl'(1397506924) at index 24
Added debug context 'SCMV'(1396919638) at index 25
Added debug context 'SCZL'(1396922956) at index 26
Added debug context 'SCPL'(1396920396) at index 27
Added debug context 'SHLV'(1397247062) at index 28
Added debug context 'SI_M'(1397317453) at index 29
Added debug context 'XCnt'(1480814196) at index 30
HCMemoryMgr::HCMemoryMgr() stores temporary items to: /Users/grahammitchell/Library/Application Support/Sinar eXposure/Temporary data/HCData
HCMemoryMgr::HCMemoryMgr() free space in temporary folder is :11894 MB
"15:04:55.918" int main(int, char**) Sinar eXposure "ExpS" "6.1.1" ( "184" )
"15:04:55.919" int main(int, char**) Looking for GUI plugins in "/Applications/Sinar eXposure.app/Contents/PlugIns"
"15:04:55.920" int main(int, char**) OS: MV_LEOPARD (10.5)
"15:04:55.922" int main(int, char**) Wordsize:  32 bit
"15:04:55.923" int main(int, char**) ByteOrder: BigEndian
"15:04:55.924" int main(int, char**) Total availible virtual memory: 3070 MB
"15:04:55.925" int main(int, char**) Total physical memory: 4096 MB
"15:04:55.926" int main(int, char**) Number of physical cores: 2
"15:04:55.927" int main(int, char**) Number of logical cores: 2
"15:04:55.933" int main(int, char**) Locale "GUI_en_GB" loaded from "/Applications/Sinar eXposure.app/settings/"
"15:04:55.959" GUIMemoryMgr::GUIMemoryMgr() memory limited to "2.30 GB"
"15:04:55.960" GUIMemoryMgr::GUIMemoryMgr() unpurgable memory used so far "331.31 MB"
"15:04:55.961" GUIMemoryMgr::GUIMemoryMgr() availible application max  "1.98 GB"
"15:04:55.961" GUIMemoryMgr::GUIMemoryMgr() availible internal application max "1.38 GB"
"15:04:56.044" GUIHelpManager::GUIHelpManager(QObject*) Tooltips "ToolTip_en_GB" loaded from "/Applications/Sinar eXposure.app/settings/"
"15:04:56.146" void GUIStatusBar::loadSettings()  Camera sound file does not exist.


Does that help at all? Is the last line a clue?
Title: Exposure and Captureshop no longer working
Post by: Carsten W on April 08, 2009, 08:40:10 am
Wow, that's a really dirty log file. I guess Sinar forgot to remove some debug stuff. Actually, everything sounds okay. That last item, while an error, doesn't sound like the type of thing which would cause a crash. Can you check with someone for whom it works if they also have this? Is there lots of space on the volume where this directory exists: /Users/grahammitchell/Library/Application Support/Sinar eXposure/Temporary data/HCData? You might try deleting anything inside the Sinar Exposure/Temporary data/ directory, in case some corrupted data is found there.

I would send this to Sinar, and ask them if they can spot anything.

You are on a PowerPC computer, but Ben is on an intel computer, right? I wonder if that is related. Although you used to have no problems. Hmm.
Title: Exposure and Captureshop no longer working
Post by: Graham Mitchell on April 08, 2009, 09:09:02 am
Quote from: carstenw
Can you check with someone for whom it works if they also have this?

Well anyone on the forum is welcome to check and report back

Quote from: carstenw
Is there lots of space on the volume where this directory exists: /Users/grahammitchell/Library/Application Support/Sinar eXposure/Temporary data/HCData? You might try deleting anything inside the Sinar Exposure/Temporary data/ directory, in case some corrupted data is found there.

This directory is part of the cleanup I have been doing every time I reinstall eXposure (see page 1 of this thread) so that isn't the problem.
Yes, there is >10 GB free on this disk.

Quote from: carstenw
I would send this to Sinar, and ask them if they can spot anything.

I've sent them a link to the whole thread

Quote from: carstenw
You are on a PowerPC computer, but Ben is on an intel computer, right?

I'm on Intel, and I assume Ben is too.

Thanks for having a look, Carsten!
Title: Exposure and Captureshop no longer working
Post by: Graham Mitchell on April 08, 2009, 09:18:34 am
Actually on second look, the directory "Users/(user)/Library/Application Support/Sinar eXposure" was not on the list of items to delete when manually uninstalling. The list (copied from the manual PDF) is:

1. In the folder "Applications", the file "Sinar eXposure"
2. In the folder "user/Library/Preferences", the files "Sinar eXposure.sav" and "Sinar eXposure
layout_LastRun.ini"
3. In the folder "user/Library/Logs", the file "Sinar eXposure.log"
4. In the folder "HD/Library/Application Support", the folder "Sinar eXposure"
5. In the folder "HD/Library/Frameworks", the files "JAPI1394m.framework" and
"FireCamj.framework"

Maybe there is something corrupt which I have not been removing? Will report back.
Title: Exposure and Captureshop no longer working
Post by: Graham Mitchell on April 08, 2009, 09:40:28 am
No, even removing that folder and a few plist entries as well as all the others, and then reinstalling, it still doesn't start up.
Title: Exposure and Captureshop no longer working
Post by: Carsten W on April 08, 2009, 02:06:16 pm
Quote from: foto-z
I'm on Intel, and I assume Ben is too.

There might be a hint for a possible issue here. The debug output prints ByteOrder: BigEndian. The intel architecture is little endian. It might be just a problem with the debug output, or the wrong executable might be launched. I presume Sinar eXposure is a universal binary app?

Ben, if it isn't too much trouble, could you look in your log for a functioning run of Sinar eXposure and see if it prints big or little endian? Perhaps Graham could tell us which log he looked in.

(FYI: Big endian and little endian are terms taken from "Gulliver's travels". The inhabitants of Lilliput open their eggs at the little end, and those in the neighbouring country Blefuscu open them at the big end. In the context of computers, it just refers to which byte is stored first in a 32-bit word, for example: the most significant (like numbers the way we read them: thousands, then hundreds, then tens, then ones) (big endian), or the least significant (like writing our numbers with the ones at the left, etc.) (little endian). No one but intel understands why they chose little endianness )
Title: Exposure and Captureshop no longer working
Post by: Carsten W on April 08, 2009, 02:08:51 pm
(oops)
Title: Exposure and Captureshop no longer working
Post by: bdp on April 08, 2009, 05:04:39 pm
OK, I'm up now (went to bed after my last post). Sounds like you need to get an über-nerd from the Sinar software department involved to sort this, but here is my Console log. It just shows this after eXposure launches:

9/04/09 6:58:40 AM mdworker[13091] *** -[NSCFArray _getCString:maxLength:encoding:]: unrecognized selector sent to instance 0x1dcf00


Does it do the same thing with the back connected as well as not connected? Maybe it's waiting for something from the back that never shows up - a problem with your back maybe?

Ben
Title: Exposure and Captureshop no longer working
Post by: bdp on April 08, 2009, 05:11:06 pm
Ah, found another one. I think this is what you want:

>> Log file started at 2009, Apr, 09, 07:00:49

Added debug context 'GUI '(1196771616) at index 1
unset channel 255
Added debug context 'ACOR'(1094930258) at index 2
Added debug context 'IMGL'(1229801292) at index 3
Added debug context 'DNGL'(1145980748) at index 4
Added debug context 'DNG '(1145980704) at index 5
Added debug context 'eyeR'(1702454610) at index 6
Added debug context 'JPEG'(1246774599) at index 7
Added debug context 'TIFF'(1414088262) at index 8
Added debug context 'HCOR'(1212370770) at index 9
Added debug context 'CCOR'(1128484690) at index 10
Added debug context 'eMoB'(1699573570) at index 11
eMotion_helper::eMotion_helper()eMotion Back - instance created: 0x1960c94
Added debug context 'eSpB'(1699967042) at index 12
initializing FireCamJ now
Added debug context 'eVoB'(1700163394) at index 13
Added debug context 'C645'(1127625781) at index 14
Added debug context 'H H1'(1210075185) at index 15
Added debug context 'H V '(1210078752) at index 16
Added debug context 'M6FD'(1295402564) at index 17
Added debug context 'M6TL'(1295406156) at index 18
Added debug context 'M RB'(1293963842) at index 19
Added debug context 'M RZ'(1293963866) at index 20
Added debug context 'R608'(1379283000) at index 21
Added debug context 'R60X'(1379283032) at index 22
Added debug context 'RLCl'(1380729708) at index 23
Added debug context 'SLCl'(1397506924) at index 24
Added debug context 'SCMV'(1396919638) at index 25
Added debug context 'SCZL'(1396922956) at index 26
Added debug context 'SCPL'(1396920396) at index 27
Added debug context 'SHLV'(1397247062) at index 28
Added debug context 'SI_M'(1397317453) at index 29
Added debug context 'XCnt'(1480814196) at index 30
HCMemoryMgr::HCMemoryMgr() stores temporary items to: /Users/bendearnley/Library/Application Support/Sinar eXposure/Temporary data/HCData
HCMemoryMgr::HCMemoryMgr() free space in temporary folder is :24805 MB
"07:00:49.471" int main(int, char**) Sinar eXposure "ExpS" "6.1.1" ( "184" )
"07:00:49.472" int main(int, char**) Looking for GUI plugins in "/Applications/Sinar eXposure.app/Contents/PlugIns"
"07:00:49.472" int main(int, char**) OS: MV_LEOPARD (10.5)
"07:00:49.473" int main(int, char**) Wordsize:  32 bit
"07:00:49.474" int main(int, char**) ByteOrder: BigEndian
"07:00:49.474" int main(int, char**) Total availible virtual memory: 3070 MB
"07:00:49.479" int main(int, char**) Total physical memory: 4096 MB
"07:00:49.479" int main(int, char**) Number of physical cores: 2
"07:00:49.480" int main(int, char**) Number of logical cores: 2
"07:00:49.481" int main(int, char**) Locale "GUI_en_AU" loaded from "/Applications/Sinar eXposure.app/settings/"
"07:00:49.500" GUIMemoryMgr::GUIMemoryMgr() memory limited to "2.30 GB"
"07:00:49.501" GUIMemoryMgr::GUIMemoryMgr() unpurgable memory used so far "327.18 MB"
"07:00:49.501" GUIMemoryMgr::GUIMemoryMgr() availible application max  "1.98 GB"
"07:00:49.504" GUIMemoryMgr::GUIMemoryMgr() availible internal application max "1.39 GB"
"07:00:49.546" GUIHelpManager::GUIHelpManager(QObject*) Tooltips "ToolTip_en_AU" loaded from "/Applications/Sinar eXposure.app/settings/"
"07:00:49.646" void GUIStatusBar::loadSettings()  Camera sound file does not exist.
"07:00:49.680" QIcon genIcon(const QSize&, const QString&) No Active version of  ":/SinarAG/images/36_Rename"  available.
"07:00:59.886" QIcon genIcon(const QSize&, const QString&) No Active version of  ":/SinarAG/images/36_Rename"  available.
"07:00:59.915" virtual QSize GUIControlsWidget::sizeHint() const ERROR: GuiControlsWidget::sizeHint, no tab list entry to get size hint.
"07:00:59.916" virtual QSize GUIControlsWidget::sizeHint() const ERROR: GuiControlsWidget::sizeHint, no tab list entry to get size hint.
"07:00:59.916" virtual QSize GUIControlsWidget::sizeHint() const ERROR: GuiControlsWidget::sizeHint, no tab list entry to get size hint.
"07:00:59.917" virtual QSize GUIControlsWidget::sizeHint() const ERROR: GuiControlsWidget::sizeHint, no tab list entry to get size hint.
"07:01:01.028" QIcon genIcon(const QSize&, const QString&) No Active version of  ":/SinarAG/images/16_unchanged_normal.png"  available.
"07:01:01.031" QIcon genIcon(const QSize&, const QString&) No Disabled version of  ":/SinarAG/images/16_unchanged_normal.png"  available.
"07:01:01.033" QIcon genIcon(const QSize&, const QString&) No Active version of  ":/SinarAG/images/16_play_normal.png"  available.
"07:01:01.034" QIcon genIcon(const QSize&, const QString&) No Disabled version of  ":/SinarAG/images/16_play_normal.png"  available.
"07:01:01.035" QIcon genIcon(const QSize&, const QString&) No Active version of  ":/SinarAG/images/16_stop_normal.png"  available.
"07:01:01.039" QIcon genIcon(const QSize&, const QString&) No Disabled version of  ":/SinarAG/images/16_stop_normal.png"  available.
"07:01:01.041" QIcon genIcon(const QSize&, const QString&) No Active version of  ":/SinarAG/images/16_warning_normal.png"  available.
"07:01:01.042" QIcon genIcon(const QSize&, const QString&) No Disabled version of  ":/SinarAG/images/16_warning_normal.png"  available.
"07:01:01.048" QIcon genIcon(const QSize&, const QString&) No Active version of  ":/SinarAG/images/16_aproval_normal.png"  available.
"07:01:01.049" QIcon genIcon(const QSize&, const QString&) No Disabled version of  ":/SinarAG/images/16_aproval_normal.png"  available.
"07:01:01.085" void GUIToolBarManager::addActions(QList<QAction*>) "" with caption "Contact Sheet Dock Widget" not added because category missing
"07:01:01.086" void GUIToolBarManager::addActions(QList<QAction*>) "" with caption "" not added because category missing
"07:01:01.086" void GUIToolBarManager::addActions(QList<QAction*>) "AutoResize" with caption "Auto Resize" not added because category missing
"07:01:01.087" void GUIToolBarManager::addActions(QList<QAction*>) "RefreshGallery" with caption "Refresh contact sheet" not added because category missing
"07:01:01.087" void GUIToolBarManager::addActions(QList<QAction*>) "" with caption "" not added because category missing
"07:01:01.088" void GUIToolBarManager::addActions(QList<QAction*>) "" with caption "" not added because category missing
"07:01:01.089" void GUIToolBarManager::addActions(QList<QAction*>) "" with caption "" not added because category missing
"07:01:01.089" void GUIToolBarManager::addActions(QList<QAction*>) "" with caption "" not added because category missing
"07:01:01.097" void GUIToolBarManager::addActions(QList<QAction*>) "Export" with caption "Export Image(s)..." not added because category missing
"07:01:01.097" void GUIToolBarManager::addActions(QList<QAction*>) "" with caption "" not added because category missing
"07:01:01.098" void GUIToolBarManager::addActions(QList<QAction*>) "" with caption "Manage Image Parameter..." not added because category missing
"07:01:01.099" void GUIToolBarManager::addActions(QList<QAction*>) "" with caption "Load Image Parameter..." not added because category missing
"07:01:01.099" void GUIToolBarManager::addActions(QList<QAction*>) "" with caption "Save Image Parameter..." not added because category missing
"07:01:01.100" void GUIToolBarManager::addActions(QList<QAction*>) "" with caption "Copy Image Parameter" not added because category missing
"07:01:01.100" void GUIToolBarManager::addActions(QList<QAction*>) "" with caption "Paste Image Parameter" not added because category missing
"07:01:01.101" void GUIMenuManager::addActions(QList<QAction*>) "" with caption "Contact Sheet Dock Widget" not added because group missing
"07:01:01.101" void GUIMenuManager::addActions(QList<QAction*>) "" with caption "" not added because group missing
"07:01:01.106" void GUIMenuManager::addActions(QList<QAction*>) "AutoResize" with caption "Auto Resize" not added because group missing
"07:01:01.107" void GUIMenuManager::addActions(QList<QAction*>) "RefreshGallery" with caption "Refresh contact sheet" not added because group missing
"07:01:01.107" void GUIMenuManager::addActions(QList<QAction*>) "" with caption "" not added because group missing
"07:01:01.108" void GUIMenuManager::addActions(QList<QAction*>) "" with caption "" not added because group missing
"07:01:01.108" void GUIMenuManager::addActions(QList<QAction*>) "" with caption "" not added because group missing
"07:01:01.109" void GUIMenuManager::addActions(QList<QAction*>) "" with caption "" not added because group missing
"07:01:01.109" void GUIMenuManager::addActions(QList<QAction*>) "Export" with caption "Export Image(s)..." not added because group missing
"07:01:01.114" void GUIMenuManager::addActions(QList<QAction*>) "" with caption "" not added because group missing
"07:01:01.114" void GUIMenuManager::addActions(QList<QAction*>) "" with caption "Manage Image Parameter..." not added because group missing
"07:01:01.115" void GUIMenuManager::addActions(QList<QAction*>) "" with caption "Load Image Parameter..." not added because group missing
"07:01:01.115" void GUIMenuManager::addActions(QList<QAction*>) "" with caption "Save Image Parameter..." not added because group missing
"07:01:01.116" void GUIMenuManager::addActions(QList<QAction*>) "" with caption "Copy Image Parameter" not added because group missing
"07:01:01.117" void GUIMenuManager::addActions(QList<QAction*>) "" with caption "Paste Image Parameter" not added because group missing
QPixmap::convertFromImage: Cannot convert a null image
"07:01:10.009" void GUICameraProxy::deInit()  
finalizing FireCamJ now
 
Title: Exposure and Captureshop no longer working
Post by: Carsten W on April 08, 2009, 05:23:23 pm
This is the *working* version, and it looks far worse than what Graham posted!  

Anyway, it also writes "big-endian", so they probably just got their logic wrong, or maybe they are talking about a file format, not the system, so that was a dead end.

The first line after Graham's last line (which you also have, so it is benign) is:

"07:00:49.680" QIcon genIcon(const QSize&, const QString&) No Active version of ":/SinarAG/images/36_Rename" available.

which doesn't hold any clues for me. Sigh.

This team really needs to clean up their code though. Way too much debug info here, of no use to anyone but the developers.
Title: Exposure and Captureshop no longer working
Post by: Graham Mitchell on April 08, 2009, 06:02:16 pm
Quote from: bdp
Does it do the same thing with the back connected as well as not connected? Maybe it's waiting for something from the back that never shows up - a problem with your back maybe?

Ben

This is without the back connected.
Title: Exposure and Captureshop no longer working
Post by: bdp on April 08, 2009, 06:14:56 pm
Bummer. So how are you working? What are you using to capture and process with??

Ben
Title: Exposure and Captureshop no longer working
Post by: Graham Mitchell on April 08, 2009, 06:19:05 pm
Quote from: bdp
Bummer. So how are you working? What are you using to capture and process with??

Ben

I can't shoot tethered at the moment, but I can still use Brumbaer tools as an alternative workflow.
Title: Exposure and Captureshop no longer working
Post by: Graham Mitchell on April 09, 2009, 08:59:46 am
Quote from: EPd
Did you check if your harddrive might be corrupt in any way? I've had similar problems with a Mac (running other applications than Exposure) where an application might hang for about half an hour before the hang was timed out. It turned out the S.M.A.R.T. status of the disk was not OK. I replaced the harddrive and all was good again. What happens if you boot from another disk?

I ran a SMART check, and a general disk verification, and verified permissions too. All is ok.
Title: Exposure and Captureshop no longer working
Post by: David K on April 09, 2009, 09:12:07 am
Graham,

Sorry to hear you're having problems.  I sent a link to this post to my friend's at Sinar and hopefully they will be able to help.


Title: Exposure and Captureshop no longer working
Post by: Graham Mitchell on April 09, 2009, 02:41:01 pm
For those still following this saga...

I just reinstalled OSX, and eXposure works again (as I expected) without reinstalling eXposure. This time I won't instal the 10 OSX updates which are ready to download, and see how things go.
Title: Exposure and Captureshop no longer working
Post by: Carsten W on April 09, 2009, 03:54:34 pm
Do you have a second system you could experiment a bit with? If you use a binary search (always divide the remaining work by 2, i.e. install the first half of the updates to find which half the problem is in, and repeat), it shouldn't take too many reinstalls. You could probably also reduce the search by first installing all the apparently benign updates, and see if they cause any problems.
Title: Exposure and Captureshop no longer working
Post by: Graham Mitchell on April 09, 2009, 05:30:16 pm
Unfortunately eXposure started hanging again. I restarted it 10-15 times, and this time it started up most of the time (roughly 8 times out of 12) , but not always which is a new pattern. Strange indeed. So it seems it was not connected to the updates. At least I can eliminate that.

I just ran the OSX updates, and restarted eXposure 10 times. Result:

1. YES
2. YES
3. YES
4. NO
5. NO
6. NO
7. NO
8. NO
9. NO
10. NO

Looks like something changed after the 3rd try?

I had a hunch what might be causing it, because it was the only change I made to the system around the time it broke (after the reinstallation of OSX)

So I opened Terminal and ran:
sudo /Applications/TextEdit.app/Contents/MacOS/TextEdit /etc/hosts
(then edited my hosts file and saved)
then:
sudo dscacheutil -flushcache

10 more tests:

1. YES
2. YES
3. YES
4. YES
5. YES
6. YES
7. YES
8. YES
9. YES
10. YES

Hmmm.. Reversing the hosts file changes I made earlier, and...

1. NO
2. NO
3. NO
4. NO
5. NO

Ok, I got bored and decided to change the hosts file settings back again:

1. NO
2. YES
3. YES
4. YES
5. YES
6. YES
7. YES
8. YES

ok, getting boring. Will switch the settings one more time:

1. NO
2. NO
3. NO
4. NO
5. NO
6. NO

Ok, that's good enough for me. I'm fairly convinced that the changes I made to my 'hosts' file are preventing eXposure from starting. I didn't change my hosts file until around 1 week ago which explains why the problem suddenly started around then. It also explains why a fresh OSX reinstall worked before I started making some small tweaks to the hosts file (which were lost in the reinstall), and why eXposure worked perfectly until recently.

Progress! At least I can get eXposure working any time I need it now.

The only thing left to work out is why changes to my hosts file (blocking some IP addresses unrelated to Sinar) would have this effect!! Anyone?
Title: Exposure and Captureshop no longer working
Post by: Adina on April 14, 2009, 03:47:02 am
Quote from: foto-z
..

The only thing left to work out is why changes to my hosts file (blocking some IP addresses unrelated to Sinar) would have this effect!! Anyone?

Hi Graham ,

nice to hear you've solved the problem.

I use Little Snitch ( see http://www.obdev.at/products/littlesnitch/index.html (http://www.obdev.at/products/littlesnitch/index.html) ).
I have no problems with eXposure with this ...

Greetings
Adina
Title: Exposure and Captureshop no longer working
Post by: Graham Mitchell on April 14, 2009, 04:18:16 am
Quote from: Adina
Hi Graham ,

nice to hear you've solved the problem.

I use Little Snitch ( see http://www.obdev.at/products/littlesnitch/index.html (http://www.obdev.at/products/littlesnitch/index.html) ).
I have no problems with eXposure with this ...

Greetings
Adina

Thanks, I was thinking of blocking the IP addresses there instead and seeing if that solved the problem. Will report back.

Title: Exposure and Captureshop no longer working
Post by: Graham Mitchell on April 14, 2009, 04:45:38 am
Yes, eXposure starts up really fast now, and Little Snitch is blocking the selected domains instead of using the hosts file. Finally this is resolved!

I realise that this is an unusual problem but perhaps this thread will help someone else in the same situation.
Title: Exposure and Captureshop no longer working
Post by: Doug Peterson on April 14, 2009, 09:47:26 am
Quote from: foto-z
The only thing left to work out is why changes to my hosts file (blocking some IP addresses unrelated to Sinar) would have this effect!! Anyone?

Not the strangest thing I've ever seen.

This is not a shot at you (after all you figured it out and fixed it!), but this is why we recommend keeping as clean a system as possible and making a bootable/swappable backup using SuperDuper prior to any changes to your system. Strange things can be interdependent between OS/Applications.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me) (http://mailto:[email protected])
__________________
Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
Phase One, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Eizo & More
National: 877.217.9870  |  Cell: 740.707.2183
Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up (http://www.captureintegration.com/our-company/newsletters/)