Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Medium Format / Film / Digital Backs – and Large Sensor Photography => Topic started by: pixjohn on April 03, 2009, 12:03:07 am

Title: Mola lighting beauty dish
Post by: pixjohn on April 03, 2009, 12:03:07 am
I just wanted to inquire if anyone is shooting with the Mola beauty dish. I already have a dynalite dish but want to add a 2nd dish. I am thinking about getting the Mola Demi 22" Soft Light Reflector, White Interior  or Mola Setti 28" Soft Light Reflector, White Interior. The Mola web site does not give a lot of info.

Anyone have sample images of the two dishes?
Title: Mola lighting beauty dish
Post by: Brady on April 03, 2009, 01:54:48 am
Can't comment on the dynalite but, the mola's are great!....gives a nice wrap with an awesome crispness to it i've never seen replicated by anything else. nice light quality for sure.



Quote from: pixjohn
I just wanted to inquire if anyone is shooting with the Mola beauty dish. I already have a dynalite dish but want to add a 2nd dish. I am thinking about getting the Mola Demi 22" Soft Light Reflector, White Interior  or Mola Setti 28" Soft Light Reflector, White Interior. The Mola web site does not give a lot of info.

Anyone have sample images of the two dishes?
Title: Mola lighting beauty dish
Post by: TMARK on April 04, 2009, 02:48:24 pm
Quote from: pixjohn
I just wanted to inquire if anyone is shooting with the Mola beauty dish. I already have a dynalite dish but want to add a 2nd dish. I am thinking about getting the Mola Demi 22" Soft Light Reflector, White Interior  or Mola Setti 28" Soft Light Reflector, White Interior. The Mola web site does not give a lot of info.

Anyone have sample images of the two dishes?

I have them all.  The demi gives a light that is close to certain focus settings on the Briese Focus 77.  The Setti gives a more parabolic light, but at 28" an overall softer feel than a deep parabolic reflector.    They are a bitch to move around, so aside from the demi, they are studio only.
Title: Mola lighting beauty dish
Post by: mcfoto on April 04, 2009, 04:53:24 pm
Quote from: TMARK
I have them all.  The demi gives a light that is close to certain focus settings on the Briese Focus 77.  The Setti gives a more parabolic light, but at 28" an overall softer feel than a deep parabolic reflector.    They are a bitch to move around, so aside from the demi, they are studio only.

Hi
I am thinking of getting the Setti with the silver finish rather than the white. Since you have them what is the difference?
Thanks Denis
Title: Mola lighting beauty dish
Post by: TMARK on April 04, 2009, 05:30:43 pm
Quote from: mcfoto
Hi
I am thinking of getting the Setti with the silver finish rather than the white. Since you have them what is the difference?
Thanks Denis

All of mine are white. I think the silver is probably good for the Setti, since its a harder light than the the shallow Demi and Euro.  It acts like a huge Magnum reflecter, but because its white and big, its softer than a magnum.  In silver it should be more efficient with more intense speculars.  If you test any of the silvers perhaps you could post some shots?

Love your work, by the way.

Thanks,

T
Title: Mola lighting beauty dish
Post by: mcfoto on April 04, 2009, 05:36:12 pm
Quote from: TMARK
All of mine are white. I think the silver is probably good for the Setti, since its a harder light than the the shallow Demi and Euro.  It acts like a huge Magnum reflecter, but because its white and big, its softer than a magnum.  In silver it should be more efficient with more intense speculars.  If you test any of the silvers perhaps you could post some shots?

Love your work, by the way.

Thanks,

T

Hi
Thank you!
Title: Mola lighting beauty dish
Post by: michaelnotar on April 04, 2009, 11:51:29 pm
i have a white euro 33 inch and i absolutely love it. so so worth it. its an even core of light without glarey highlights but it defines/shapes subjects really well. its great for portraits of men at 5ft and i dont even need a fill card, it just shapes so well.

i also have speedo 22bd but dont use it much. i have considering spraying it with flat white paint.