Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Medium Format / Film / Digital Backs – and Large Sensor Photography => Topic started by: Murray Fredericks on March 25, 2009, 07:18:17 am

Title: Sinar eXposure Import/ WSF workflow question
Post by: Murray Fredericks on March 25, 2009, 07:18:17 am
Hi All,

Just wondering if there is any benefit in white balancing and adjusting the curves etc BEFORE applying the WSF by dragging the 'linked' files to the destination folder?

After the WSF are applied to the files I take the DNG's to LR.

Cheers

Murray

Title: Sinar eXposure Import/ WSF workflow question
Post by: rainer_v on March 25, 2009, 08:51:00 am
Quote from: Murray Fredericks
Hi All,

Just wondering if there is any benefit in white balancing and adjusting the curves etc BEFORE applying the WSF by dragging the 'linked' files to the destination folder?

After the WSF are applied to the files I take the DNG's to LR.

Cheers

Murray
no benefit.
Title: Sinar eXposure Import/ WSF workflow question
Post by: paratom on March 25, 2009, 10:41:36 am
I read you convert in Adobe. Be careful!
While I am quite happy with color I get from adobe-converted Sinar-DNG I experienced something like "pink and green sprinkles" in some areas of some images when I look at them at100%.
The same image converted in Sinar Exposure or C1 doesnt show it.

do you have the same experience?
Can anybody explain me what it is?
Thanks, Tom

here a sample (this is more like 100% zoomed in to clearly show the effect)
http://www.pbase.com/tstreng/image/110610145/original.jpg (http://www.pbase.com/tstreng/image/110610145/original.jpg)

Title: Sinar eXposure Import/ WSF workflow question
Post by: Graham Mitchell on March 25, 2009, 11:06:53 am
Quote from: paratom
I read you convert in Adobe. Be careful!
While I am quite happy with color I get from adobe-converted Sinar-DNG I experienced something like "pink and green sprinkles" in some areas of some images when I look at them at100%.
The same image converted in Sinar Exposure or C1 doesnt show it.

I think that is very small highlights causing small areas of moire pattern to form. Remember that there is no AA filter on these sensors. Different de-mosaicing algorithms will handle this in different ways.
Title: Sinar eXposure Import/ WSF workflow question
Post by: paratom on March 25, 2009, 11:15:19 am
Thanks Graham,may I ask which software you use to convert the DNG?
Title: Sinar eXposure Import/ WSF workflow question
Post by: Graham Mitchell on March 25, 2009, 11:22:02 am
Quote from: paratom
Thanks Graham,may I ask which software you use to convert the DNG?

Usually Exposure, but if I need highlight recovery I'll use Lightroom (if I have a batch) or ACR.