Luminous Landscape Forum

Site & Board Matters => About This Site => Topic started by: kaelaria on March 15, 2009, 02:35:26 pm

Title: Main site down?
Post by: kaelaria on March 15, 2009, 02:35:26 pm
Anyone else not get the main LL site today?
Title: Main site down?
Post by: Tklimek on March 15, 2009, 02:55:36 pm
Kaelaria...

It was down for me momentarily this morning, but seems to be working me now.

Cheers....

Todd in Chicago

Quote from: kaelaria
Anyone else not get the main LL site today?
Title: Main site down?
Post by: kaelaria on March 15, 2009, 02:57:06 pm
Not me, I still get the directory listing.
Title: Main site down?
Post by: Ray on March 15, 2009, 03:01:28 pm
Quote from: kaelaria
Not me, I still get the directory listing.

You're a very smart computer geek to make that post. How did you do it?  
Title: Main site down?
Post by: Tklimek on March 15, 2009, 03:08:35 pm
Make sure you do a "refresh" as sometimes browsers cache the error and "get stuck".

Cheers....

Todd in Chicago

Quote from: kaelaria
Not me, I still get the directory listing.
Title: Main site down?
Post by: situgrrl on March 15, 2009, 03:11:38 pm
I've had intermittent problems today, found it's fond of the www but that doesn't always work either.  The forums go too for me?
Title: Main site down?
Post by: Rob C on March 15, 2009, 04:13:42 pm
Quote from: Ray
You're a very smart computer geek to make that post. How did you do it?  

A secret that I too was wondering about!

Rob C
Title: Main site down?
Post by: michael on March 15, 2009, 04:23:46 pm
The site and its server are fine. There does appear to be a DNS server problem somewhere on the net that is causing problems for some people.

Michael
Title: Main site down?
Post by: Derryck on March 16, 2009, 12:05:13 am
I can only get in via proxy. I thought it might be because I'm accessing the site from China and Michael had upset the leaders in Beijing by putting up inappropriate landscapes of Tibet.
Title: Main site down?
Post by: DarkPenguin on March 16, 2009, 12:14:25 am
It was working.  Then it wasn't.  Now it is again.

(All after the original post in this thread.)
Title: Main site down?
Post by: John Camp on March 16, 2009, 01:07:44 am
I was out for most of the day...from Pasadena.

JC
Title: Main site down?
Post by: Rob C on March 16, 2009, 06:07:35 am
I too lost it just after my post last night - couldn“t get it earlier this morning either, but now, at 11a.m. in Mallorca, its fine again.

Rob C
Title: Main site down?
Post by: francois on March 16, 2009, 06:09:53 am
I also found LL website to be inaccessible this morning. Could be related to bandwidth limit htat has been exceeded?
Title: Main site down?
Post by: Bob Peterson on March 16, 2009, 08:00:35 am
Quote from: francois
I also found LL website to be inaccessible this morning. Could be related to bandwidth limit htat has been exceeded?
I don't think so.  Sunday afternoon, after reading Michael's message, I looked at DNS results from a variety of host locations.  Two different IP addresses turned up, but only one of them worked.  I believe the hosting company was moving the site from one server to another, and not doing a good job.

Bob
Title: Main site down?
Post by: michael on March 16, 2009, 08:31:32 am
It's been sorted out now and the name servers updated. At least it happened on a Sunday when traffic was light.

Michael
Title: Main site down?
Post by: francois on March 16, 2009, 10:52:33 am
Quote from: rwzeitgeist
I don't think so.  Sunday afternoon, after reading Michael's message, I looked at DNS results from a variety of host locations.  Two different IP addresses turned up, but only one of them worked.  I believe the hosting company was moving the site from one server to another, and not doing a good job.

Bob
You're right, at the time I only had an iPhone with me and it's not the ultimate DNS testing tool! I just thought that Michael's beautiful Antartica panorama had been DL'ed too many times.
Title: Main site down?
Post by: DarkPenguin on March 21, 2009, 01:02:54 pm
Happened again.  This time it ended up at Delmain IT or similar.  Virus scanning now just in case it is something on my end.
Title: Main site down?
Post by: KeithR on March 21, 2009, 02:12:57 pm
Quote from: DarkPenguin
Happened again.  This time it ended up at Delmain IT or similar.  Virus scanning now just in case it is something on my end.

Yup, happened to me as well. Was reading a post, then clicked back only to find Delmain IT. Closing and trying to get back in only resulted in the same. Twice in the same week makes one wonder if the servers are being hacked.
Title: Main site down?
Post by: framah on March 21, 2009, 02:14:15 pm
Yeah, but good to see it back up and running!!
Title: Main site down?
Post by: Christopher Sanderson on March 21, 2009, 02:37:43 pm
Quote from: KeithR
Yup, happened to me as well. Was reading a post, then clicked back only to find Delmain IT. Closing and trying to get back in only resulted in the same. Twice in the same week makes one wonder if the servers are being hacked.
No conspiracy or piracy. Just another DNS server problem - now fixed.
Title: Main site down?
Post by: Bill in WV on March 21, 2009, 08:13:17 pm
Sorry folks, it's probably my fault. I've probably tried too many times to download the Dykinga segment. I got all the others, with minimal difficulty last night, but this biggie continues to elude me. I've tried two different computers, three browsers, make that four, I upgraded to IE 8.0 in the process, and it is still hanging up on me. And it is hung again as I write this. Everything else is fine. I've even called my ISP and he assures me my cable connection is fine. And yes, I saw the sever go down today.

The other segments are wonderful, I hope to find out about the Dykinga segment sometime tonight.

Bill in WV
Title: Main site down?
Post by: Gordon Buck on March 21, 2009, 08:36:55 pm
Quote from: KeithR
Yup, happened to me as well. Was reading a post, then clicked back only to find Delmain IT. Closing and trying to get back in only resulted in the same. Twice in the same week makes one wonder if the servers are being hacked.


Same here -- got Delmain IT.  Shut down, reboot, same problem.  Then about an hour later all was OK and still is.  Strange.

Actually, I'm relieved to read that others had the same problem!
Title: Main site down?
Post by: DarkPenguin on March 21, 2009, 09:15:47 pm
You can generally get here will www.llvj.com.  This isn't all that useful since the forums use luminous-landscape.com all over the place.  One thing it does do is show you activity.  If you see a zillion people on the forums you can figure it is probably just you.  If you see no one then you know the dns fairies are screwing with you.