Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: printroom_johnpaul on March 12, 2009, 06:03:00 pm

Title: Your Favorite Pet Photos
Post by: printroom_johnpaul on March 12, 2009, 06:03:00 pm
I thought I'd start a new topic. How about submitting your favorite pet photo? Here's one I took of my friend's dog while we were doing a shoot. He sooo wanted to be part of the shoot, so I couldn't resist taking a few shots of him!

(http://files.flickaway.com/0/0/8/a68_584yyrm4s_x.jpg)

JP
Title: Your Favorite Pet Photos
Post by: MR.FEESH on March 12, 2009, 08:59:23 pm
I'm not so sure why this is in the 'User Critiques' thread, but I'll play along.

My tonkinese in selective (b&w):

(http://i593.photobucket.com/albums/tt18/MR-FEESH/Fav/DSCN0172.jpg)
Elby

edit: I also made an lolcat out of a very old picture of my guy:

 http://mine.icanhascheezburger.com/view.aspx?ciid=2874814 (http://mine.icanhascheezburger.com/view.aspx?ciid=2874814)
Title: Your Favorite Pet Photos
Post by: printroom_johnpaul on March 12, 2009, 09:09:20 pm
Quote from: MR.FEESH
I'm not so sure why this is in the 'User Critiques' thread, but I'll play along.

My tonkinese in selective (b&w):

(http://i593.photobucket.com/albums/tt18/MR-FEESH/Fav/color_eyes.jpg)

Elby


Wow! That definitely captures how most cats look. Nice shot.

Btw I maybe should have posted on a different thread!

JP
Title: Your Favorite Pet Photos
Post by: dalethorn on March 12, 2009, 10:01:33 pm
Here's my cockatiel getting her head scratched, and my lovebird in her favorite perch.
Title: Your Favorite Pet Photos
Post by: Lisa Nikodym on March 12, 2009, 11:52:03 pm
My favorite photo of my cat, the first photo taken with my then-new Nikon D300 as a test shot:
(http://www.stanford.edu/~melkor/lisa_pictures/misc/Kali0406_0031_600.jpg)

Lisa
Title: Your Favorite Pet Photos
Post by: DarkPenguin on March 13, 2009, 12:47:08 am
Vo stretching.  Not a great photo but I love the little fang.  Oh, and that is a Mr. Burns bobble head in the background.

(http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3270/2597161120_4e05d9a94d_o.jpg)
Title: Your Favorite Pet Photos
Post by: lattiboy on March 13, 2009, 04:06:57 am
Captain Ridiculous:

(http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2070/2424134669_169a07659c.jpg) (http://www.flickr.com/photos/lattiboy/2424134669/)

Title: Your Favorite Pet Photos
Post by: pegelli on March 13, 2009, 04:13:17 am
No, her name is not Clarence  

It's Nickey, our dear and gentle 12 year old Curly Coated Retriever:
(http://pegelli.smugmug.com/photos/481807868_LrhDh-XL.jpg)
Title: Your Favorite Pet Photos
Post by: dmerger on March 13, 2009, 10:57:05 am
I've never posted a photo before, so posting a photo of one of my dogs will make a nice test.  Now that I've learned how to upload photos, I've edited my original post to add another photo of my dog.  I prefer the second photo.

(http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/vv15/DeanErger/BlueFace2e-mail.jpg)

(http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/vv15/DeanErger/BlueFacesmalledited.jpg)
Title: Your Favorite Pet Photos
Post by: pminicucci on March 13, 2009, 11:37:53 am
I've always loved this one. My mom and my dog.

[attachment=12116:Touch_IP_web.jpg]
Title: Your Favorite Pet Photos
Post by: printroom_johnpaul on March 13, 2009, 06:39:37 pm
Quote from: dmerger
I've never posted a photo before, so posting a photo of one of my dogs will make a nice test.  Now that I've learned how to upload photos, I've edited my original post to add another photo of my dog.  I prefer the second photo.

(http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/vv15/DeanErger/BlueFace2e-mail.jpg)

(http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/vv15/DeanErger/BlueFace2008reduced.jpg)

Dmerger,

I like the first one better for its sharpness, color and composition!

JP
Title: Your Favorite Pet Photos
Post by: dmerger on March 13, 2009, 07:18:35 pm
JP, I agree with you about the photos, especially about the color cast of the second photo.  I still like the second photo because it looks more like my dog (in the first photo he has a very unusual expression), and I like the brightness of his eyes in the second photo.  Technically, however, the first photo is probably better.  The second photo also looks like it could use some sharpening, which may help but still wouldn't make up for the initial lack of sharpness.  

I've made a quick color correction to the second photo.  Unfortunately, my good monitor died and I haven't replaced it, yet.  So, I'm now doing my edits with a cheap, uncalibrated monitor.  I hope this second version is an improvement, but I won't attempt any sharpening until I get my new monitor.  Rather than clutter up this thread with more photos of my dog, I'll try to just replace the second photo in my original post.
Title: Your Favorite Pet Photos
Post by: dmerger on March 13, 2009, 07:43:35 pm
My dog photos were taken hand held with my little Canon P&S, and it shows.  Even in these small jpeg’s, there is an obvious difference between my photos and photos taken with better equipment, for example Pieter’s photo.

I use better equipment for my landscape photos.  Perhaps I was a little rash to post photos taken with my P&S.  In any event, I now know how to post photos and I may one day post one of my landscape photos.  
Title: Your Favorite Pet Photos
Post by: digitaldog on March 13, 2009, 07:51:07 pm
My girl Zia, the white on white study...
(http://digitaldog.net/files/Zia.jpg)



Title: Your Favorite Pet Photos
Post by: dmerger on March 13, 2009, 09:47:59 pm
Pat and Andrew, you've got great looking dogs.  Pat, your dog obviously is an Akita.  Andrew, your dog looks like a mix breed.  What kind of dog is it?
Title: Your Favorite Pet Photos
Post by: Richowens on March 13, 2009, 11:38:49 pm
[attachment=12143:_DSC4993_Edit.jpg]

Good Golly Miss Molly!

 She is a Shelty-Wire Haired Terrier mix.
Title: Your Favorite Pet Photos
Post by: digitaldog on March 14, 2009, 12:08:21 am
Quote from: dmerger
Andrew, your dog looks like a mix breed.  What kind of dog is it?

Husky, Arctic wolf hybrid (a rescue).

She's a good girl, but the Whippet is really the amazing dog....
Title: Your Favorite Pet Photos
Post by: Jim.Batzer on March 14, 2009, 04:00:20 am
This is my cat, Loki. Great cat - half-dog, maybe a bombay. Wonderful friend, I got him for 50% off with the purchase of another cat. Poor guy died recently - a couple months ago.

(http://www.batzerphotography.com/public/forum_images/Loki.jpg)
Title: Your Favorite Pet Photos
Post by: Timo Löfgren on March 14, 2009, 09:47:59 am
This is Otto
Title: Your Favorite Pet Photos
Post by: MR.FEESH on March 14, 2009, 10:12:37 am
Quote from: Jim.Batzer
This is my cat, Loki. Great cat - half-dog, maybe a bombay. Wonderful friend, I got him for 50% off with the purchase of another cat. Poor guy died recently - a couple months ago.


Aww, man-- I'm sorry for your loss.  My dad had a cat up through college and it died when it was 23.  Those animals certainly do make great friends.
Fortunately I haven't been around long enough to outlive my buddy yet.  We'll have to see how well he survives being smuggled into college next year!

Elby
Title: Your Favorite Pet Photos
Post by: DarkPenguin on March 14, 2009, 12:04:16 pm
Here is my favorite of my other cat Rushmore.  (Just so she doesn't feel jealous of Vo having his picture posted.)
(http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3063/2793986029_79eca3b15c_o.jpg)
Title: Your Favorite Pet Photos
Post by: gerk on March 15, 2009, 10:55:06 pm
A couple of my new (to us) pug we adopted from a rescue, Bugsy:


Title: Your Favorite Pet Photos
Post by: eoghan on March 16, 2009, 02:34:41 am
This is Bolinas
[attachment=12186:DogTown.jpg]
Title: Your Favorite Pet Photos
Post by: iancl on March 16, 2009, 02:50:04 am
My dog Sety:

(http://gallery.photo.net/photo/6081082-md.jpg)(http://gallery.photo.net/photo/7087400-md.jpg)