Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => The Coffee Corner => Topic started by: Gordon Buck on March 09, 2009, 11:25:53 am

Title: Who has published a book at Blurb?
Post by: Gordon Buck on March 09, 2009, 11:25:53 am
Seems that a number of LL'ers are publishing a book at Blurb.  If you have a book at Blurb, please reply and include a link to your book so that all can see and admire.

Title: Who has published a book at Blurb?
Post by: Gordon Buck on March 09, 2009, 11:29:08 am
Here are links for books my wife and I have done:

My wife's favorite photos:  http://www.blurb.com/bookstore/detail/532771 (http://www.blurb.com/bookstore/detail/532771)

My own favorites:  http://www.blurb.com/bookstore/detail/288261 (http://www.blurb.com/bookstore/detail/288261)

My dad's memoirs, including WWII:  http://www.blurb.com/bookstore/detail/594253 (http://www.blurb.com/bookstore/detail/594253)





Title: Who has published a book at Blurb?
Post by: pminicucci on March 09, 2009, 01:03:28 pm
Here's mine:

http://www.blurb.com/books/205691 (http://www.blurb.com/books/205691)

Quote from: gordonsbuck
Here are links for books my wife and I have done:

My wife's favorite photos:  http://www.blurb.com/bookstore/detail/532771 (http://www.blurb.com/bookstore/detail/532771)

My own favorites:  http://www.blurb.com/bookstore/detail/288261 (http://www.blurb.com/bookstore/detail/288261)

My dad's memoirs, including WWII:  http://www.blurb.com/bookstore/detail/594253 (http://www.blurb.com/bookstore/detail/594253)
Title: Who has published a book at Blurb?
Post by: Gordon Buck on March 09, 2009, 01:38:24 pm
Quote from: pminicucci
Here's mine:

http://www.blurb.com/books/205691 (http://www.blurb.com/books/205691)

Nicely done.  Were you pleased with the printed book?

Title: Who has published a book at Blurb?
Post by: jjj on March 09, 2009, 01:41:46 pm
I had a look at their stand at Focus and was quite impresed with how they looked. Particularly for the price.

Title: Who has published a book at Blurb?
Post by: pminicucci on March 09, 2009, 06:09:28 pm
Reasonably so. (And thanks for the kind words.)

A Blurb book is not a really fine art book but more like the $25-40 photo books you'd buy at Borders. If you use the HP Indigo profile and sharpen for halftones, color work is very well done. B&W, alas, suffers from metamerism that can vary book to book because their printers' calibration accuracy is all over the place re achieving neutrality. Until they can fix B&W, better to stick to color or add toning yourself.

I had a premium paper book done and did not think it was worth the money. It also makes the color profile for the regular coated paper a little less reliable. I've tried the image wrap cover and did not like the quality of it. Stick to the dust cover jacket if you are printing a hard cover.

Still, hard to argue with the price for having a bound edition of work that is your own.


Quote from: gordonsbuck
Nicely done.  Were you pleased with the printed book?
Title: Who has published a book at Blurb?
Post by: Tim Gray on March 09, 2009, 06:46:55 pm
http://www.blurb.com/bookstore/detail/115450 (http://www.blurb.com/bookstore/detail/115450)

http://www.blurb.com/bookstore/detail/435868 (http://www.blurb.com/bookstore/detail/435868)

Generally satisfied, as mentioned before, not great, but OK,  Black and White, ho hum...  but I'll still print my next book with them.
Title: Who has published a book at Blurb?
Post by: printroom_johnpaul on March 09, 2009, 07:06:03 pm
Hmm. Nice service. I'm going to have to check their website to see if I can publish some of my best photos.

Regards,
JP
Title: Who has published a book at Blurb?
Post by: Gordon Buck on March 09, 2009, 08:19:16 pm
Quote from: Tim Gray
http://www.blurb.com/bookstore/detail/115450 (http://www.blurb.com/bookstore/detail/115450)

http://www.blurb.com/bookstore/detail/435868 (http://www.blurb.com/bookstore/detail/435868)

Generally satisfied, as mentioned before, not great, but OK,  Black and White, ho hum...  but I'll still print my next book with them.


I like the borders; strange but I completely neglected this option.

Once on a business trip to Edmonton, I asked about something to do or visit and was told to go to the mall!  Seemed odd to me but I did go and was impressed.  Nice shots.

Title: Who has published a book at Blurb?
Post by: Tim Gray on March 09, 2009, 09:55:09 pm
Quote from: gordonsbuck
I like the borders; strange but I completely neglected this option.

Once on a business trip to Edmonton, I asked about something to do or visit and was told to go to the mall!  Seemed odd to me but I did go and was impressed.  Nice shots.

Thanks, the borders are actually part of my standard workflow unless printing for framing... see for example  http://www.timgrayphotography.com/gallerie...tica/index.html (http://www.timgrayphotography.com/galleries/20090131-antarctica/index.html)
Title: Who has published a book at Blurb?
Post by: jjj on March 09, 2009, 10:04:58 pm
Quote from: Tim Gray
Thanks, the borders are actually part of my standard workflow unless printing for framing... see for example  http://www.timgrayphotography.com/gallerie...tica/index.html (http://www.timgrayphotography.com/galleries/20090131-antarctica/index.html)
Same here - I use the same borders a lot too, too often images can lose shape/bleed into background if white areas are on edge of frame.
Title: Who has published a book at Blurb?
Post by: Gordon Buck on March 11, 2009, 10:03:19 pm
Today I received my first (test) copy of my dad's memoirs from Blurb and was very pleased.  Of course, this is such a sentimental book that my evaluation can hardly be meaningful but I do like it.
Title: Who has published a book at Blurb?
Post by: Gordon Buck on March 15, 2009, 07:29:33 pm
Quote from: gordonsbuck
Today I received my first (test) copy of my dad's memoirs from Blurb and was very pleased.  Of course, this is such a sentimental book that my evaluation can hardly be meaningful but I do like it.

The first person to review my dad's memoirs thinks it is the best book she has ever seen!  (OK, it was my mother!)