Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Computers & Peripherals => Topic started by: mangel on March 07, 2009, 05:43:04 pm

Title: LaCie lcd monitor 724 dead pixel
Post by: mangel on March 07, 2009, 05:43:04 pm
I just got a new LaCie leds Lcd monitor 724 and I found a dead pixel, I don´t know wheather this is something normal in this kind and range of monitor or I should ask for a replacement. It is not a cheap monitor and I wonder what kind of quality control they have. Thanks for the advise.
Title: LaCie lcd monitor 724 dead pixel
Post by: Panopeeper on March 07, 2009, 06:02:03 pm
You have a funny way of expressing yourself. I thought you got a monitor with 724 dead pixels.
Title: LaCie lcd monitor 724 dead pixel
Post by: dalethorn on March 07, 2009, 09:51:45 pm
Quote from: mangel
I just got a new LaCie leds Lcd monitor 724 and I found a dead pixel, I don´t know wheather this is something normal in this kind and range of monitor or I should ask for a replacement. It is not a cheap monitor and I wonder what kind of quality control they have. Thanks for the advise.

If you view 100 different images on the monitor, and you immediately notice the dead pixel on several of the images when you display them, I would definitely return the monitor right away.

OTOH, if it doesn't seem like a serious problem with those test images, but after using it for a few days, you do notice the pixel enough times that it bothers you, then you should return it.  If there's any difficulty you anticipate in returning it, it would be good if you noted the images that were bothersome, so you could demonstrate to the returnee.  I've had only one monitor like that, and it didn't show the bad pixel on that many images, but when it did show, it was *really* aggravating because it landed on an eye or other sensitive area.
Title: LaCie lcd monitor 724 dead pixel
Post by: Slough on March 08, 2009, 06:14:13 am
There are various standards that describe what is permissible, and manufacturers have their own standards too. For example, Samsung has a zero dead pixel warranty.

Here is Lacie's warranty as of the date of writing (it might have changed since):

http://www.behardware.com/articles/666-15/...ixels-2007.html (http://www.behardware.com/articles/666-15/a-look-into-dead-pixels-2007.html)

I suggest you search the Lacie site.
Title: LaCie lcd monitor 724 dead pixel
Post by: mangel on March 08, 2009, 06:41:48 pm
Thank you for your help. It is a black dead pixel on the middle to the left, about 8 cm from the frame, but it bothers me each time I am correcting a photo in photoshop. I took a look at  Lacie´s warranty and I hope not to have any problem to return it.