Luminous Landscape Forum
Equipment & Techniques => Cameras, Lenses and Shooting gear => Topic started by: mlevison on March 04, 2009, 04:26:15 pm
-
This summer my wife and I will be bicycling from Vienna to Prague (along the greenways route). We will be riding hybrid bikes and staying on fairly smooth terrain (I don't think there's any trail riding). I don't want to be separed from my D300 - any thoughts on how to carry it?
Gear:
- D300
- 18-70 mm
- 10-20 mm
- SB600 Flash
- either 80-200 f2.8 or 70-300 (to save space/weight).
Looking for a system to carry my gear either on the handlebars or on top of the rear rack. Any suggestions? Any experience positive or negative?
Cheers
Mark
-
This summer my wife and I will be bicycling from Vienna to Prague (along the greenways route). We will be riding hybrid bikes and staying on fairly smooth terrain (I don't think there's any trail riding). I don't want to be separed from my D300 - any thoughts on how to carry it?
Gear:
- D300
- 18-70 mm
- 10-20 mm
- SB600 Flash
- either 80-200 f2.8 or 70-300 (to save space/weight).
Looking for a system to carry my gear either on the handlebars or on top of the rear rack. Any suggestions? Any experience positive or negative?
Cheers
Mark
Is a small backpack out of the question? If not the Tenba Shootout day pack is a good choice
Marc
-
I use a Topeak Explorer rack and MTX trunkbag DXP that has enough room to carry that much equipment. I've been reluctant to carry my SLR on long trips out of concern that hours of vibration might damage the mirror. I don't have any proof of this, but have limited my photo gear on bike trips to my P&S camera only.
I'm hoping someone who's actually done some serious riding with an SLR can add something to this question.
Dave
-
Is a small backpack out of the question? If not the Tenba Shootout day pack is a good choice
Marc
Thanks Marc - I will be riding for 2-3 hrs a day, I think a backpack will feel heavy after a short while. I do realize the upside is that will protect the gear from vibration.
Mark
-
Thanks Marc - I will be riding for 2-3 hrs a day, I think a backpack will feel heavy after a short while. I do realize the upside is that will protect the gear from vibration.
Mark
Use a waist level bag in stead, I did it often. Or, you can check Ortlieb http://www.ortlieb.com/index_white.php?lan...le=p-search.php (http://www.ortlieb.com/index_white.php?lang=en&m1=0&m2=0&file=p-search.php) , they are well made and waterproof, easily mount to the seat post or under the saddle, or the frame of the bike.
-
A few years ago I rode a mountain bike on the White Rim Trail in Canyonlands NP. 80 miles of bumpy. I carried my EOS3, a couple of lenses (28-70L, 100-400L) and strapped the tripod on the back of a Lowepro Nature Trekker. The hip belt is a must. No problems.
One suggestion. I had a 10 mile trail near my place at the time. Before the trip to Canyonlands, I rode that trail packed just like I was going to be for the trip. Then I made it a point to photograph all kinds of things along the trail to get used to removing the pack, setting up, packing up, and riding just a short distance (sometimes just a 100 feet) to the next shot. This helped train myself to realize that it isn't as big a pain in the rear as it seems and I worked out any packing/procedural issues so I wouldn't be surprised in the middle of nowhere.
So whatever your choice (sounds like you are leaning to a bike mounted system) do some test rides, get used to the fact that the camera isn't as readily available. Make it so that, in your head, getting the camera is not a huge production, it is merely part of the process and shouldn't frustrate you to where you will ride right past a shot because you don't feel like hauling out the gear.
This shot entailed straddling the tripod over the bike
-
When I did a lot of long distance biking, I had a nice handlebar mounted bag with a quick release. I’d recommend such a bag. Your camera will be easily accessible and you can easily take the whole bag with you into restaurants or for short walks to take photos. I wouldn't recommend a backpack.
-
I recently bought an Ortlieb Shuttle rigid case with camera and laptop inserts. It mounts on a rear rack and clicks on and off very easily, despite being very securely fastened.
The case is waterproof with a rubberized zip with only a tiny gap where the two zips meet. It also has a extendable handle and wheels.
Really nicely designed kit. And quite cheap compared to other bags I have. Not used it for any distance with gear as of yet, so cannot comment on rattling apart issues. But I was fed up with very heavy backpacks whilst riding, not pleasant. At all.
It also has a backpack harness you can attach in seconds if you do want to carry it on your back - as shown in image below.
I'm very impressed with it.
(http://www.wiggle.co.uk/images/ortlieb%20photo%20shuttle.jpg)
-
A few years ago I rode a mountain bike on the White Rim Trail in Canyonlands NP. 80 miles of bumpy. I carried my EOS3, a couple of lenses (28-70L, 100-400L) and strapped the tripod on the back of a Lowepro Nature Trekker. The hip belt is a must. No problems.
Whoah, purple anodised bar ends, not seen them for a while!
You post also reminded me that I also used to use a LowePro Orion waist pack when photographing mountain bike races/using bike off road. Into which I could get 2 camera bodies, both with motor drives a 50mmf1.4, a 24mm f2, a 70-200 f2.8 and a 17mm f3.5. And numerous rolls of film. Olympus 35mm gear was so compact compared to what I now use. And OMs had a much bigger viewfinder than current cameras.
-
A lot of photographically-oriented mountain bikers use a chest bag, either a specially designed one like the ThinkTank "holster" with chest harness, or else a LowePro "top-loader" attached by small karabiners to backpack straps. This way the camera is protected, and also ready for use without fumbling in panniers etc.
This blog describes some solutions:
http://sebrogers.typepad.com/seb_rogers_bl...e_bag_part.html (http://sebrogers.typepad.com/seb_rogers_blog/2007/01/in_the_bag_part.html)
-
I should think it partly depends on whether the trip is primarily about enjoying the cycle ride, or whether the photography takes precedence. As a cyclist who has done a fair amount of touring I would say that if you can avoid carrying anything on your body it will greatly enhance your cycling enjoyment! Strap it to the bike and let the bike take the weight.
It is a while since I toured with an SLR, but I always used to carry a body and a couple of light lenses in a bar-bag. Some of these do give a certain amount of shock-protection, where a bag on top of a carrier over the rear wheel gets very little. Make sure the camera is nestled on something soft, even a pair of gloves etc. This will cut down on the high frequency vibration which I should think would be more damaging to the cameras and lenses than the odd jolt. In a bar bag the camera is quickly available without having to dismount (though stopping is advisable).
The 80-200 lens would I think not be a good choice for a cycle tour! If you must take it, do not put it into a bar bag as the weight will affect the steering. Wrap it well and put it into a pannier bag alongside the rear wheel or on a rack pack.
We found that if there are lots of photo opportunities along a stretch, then carry the camera in the usual way across your chest. A loose fitting extra strap will stop it swinging around and hitting your knees.
Good luck with the ride, it sounds great!
Jim
-
When I did a lot of long distance biking, I had a nice handlebar mounted bag with a quick release. I’d recommend such a bag. Your camera will be easily accessible and you can easily take the whole bag with you into restaurants or for short walks to take photos. I wouldn't recommend a backpack.
Thanks am leaning towards an Ortlieb Handle bar bag. Did it affect the stability of your bike?
-
I should think it partly depends on whether the trip is primarily about enjoying the cycle ride, or whether the photography takes precedence. As a cyclist who has done a fair amount of touring I would say that if you can avoid carrying anything on your body it will greatly enhance your cycling enjoyment! Strap it to the bike and let the bike take the weight.
It is a while since I toured with an SLR, but I always used to carry a body and a couple of light lenses in a bar-bag. Some of these do give a certain amount of shock-protection, where a bag on top of a carrier over the rear wheel gets very little. Make sure the camera is nestled on something soft, even a pair of gloves etc. This will cut down on the high frequency vibration which I should think would be more damaging to the cameras and lenses than the odd jolt. In a bar bag the camera is quickly available without having to dismount (though stopping is advisable).
The 80-200 lens would I think not be a good choice for a cycle tour! If you must take it, do not put it into a bar bag as the weight will affect the steering. Wrap it well and put it into a pannier bag alongside the rear wheel or on a rack pack.
We found that if there are lots of photo opportunities along a stretch, then carry the camera in the usual way across your chest. A loose fitting extra strap will stop it swinging around and hitting your knees.
Good luck with the ride, it sounds great!
Jim
We're there for the bike ride - the photography is bonus. If I invert the priorities I will divorced by the end of the trip :-) As for the 80-200 much as I like you're right I will have to leave it behind.
-
We're there for the bike ride - the photography is bonus. If I invert the priorities I will divorced by the end of the trip :-) As for the 80-200 much as I like you're right I will have to leave it behind.
Usually pros on motorbikes always dismount the lenses. A fall with no lens is no big deal for a pro body in a padded bag. A fall with a mounted lens will wreck the lens nount.
Edmund
-
Usually pros on motorbikes always dismount the lenses. A fall with no lens is no big deal for a pro body in a padded bag. A fall with a mounted lens will wreck the lens nount.
Edmund
Thanks for the tip. This is a pedal bike ride and not a motorbike ride. Would you still dismount the lens?
Not a pro by an stretch.
Mark
-
12 years ago I rode Cairo to Capetown (ride kms of about 15,500) on a mountain bike. This was pre digital and I carried an EOS 5, 20-35, 35-350 and 200 rolls of film. How you load your camera depends on what else you are carrying. If you're only carrying your camera gear then it will be best over the rear wheels somewhere, preferably directlty above the wheel rather than off to one side. I carried everything I owned (literally!) and had the camera gear in a normal camera bag sitting on a heavily modified front rack. Actually it was a heavilly modified rear rack modified to mount on the front. I tried handle bar bags but the weight kept making them slip down all the time. Also having the bag down, closer to the wheel did help with stability. But I already had full front and rear panniers.
Your steering will be different with weight at the front, but you will get used to it. And having gear under the handle bars is a bit like having a roll cage to protect it somewhat. But I'd still put it on the rear unless you have to have it at the front.
I'm jealous. I met my wife on that trip. As soon as the kids are old enough for boarding school (or I can find a buyer ). We're going to start doing some shorter trips again.
Gordon
-
I didn't use an Ortlieb Handle bar bag. I really don't remember the brand of bag I used. I still have it so I could find the brand if you're interested. My bag had a mounting bracket that attached to my handlebars. The bag slid over the mounting bracket and snapped in place. To remove the bag, all I had to do was depress the locking clip and the bad came right off.
I had no stability problems whatsoever. My bike was rock solid. My top speed was about 55 mph. I was a little nervous to be going that fast, but my bike handled the speed with ease. I also had front and rear panniers and gear on the back rack. I tried to keep all the heaviest gear close to the ground, and usually didn't have a lot of weight in the handlebar bag. Occasionally, however, I would put a few heavier items in the handlebar bag. I could tell the difference in how my bike handled, but I still didn't have any stability problems.
-
I'm jealous. I met my wife on that trip. As soon as the kids are old enough for boarding school (or I can find a buyer ). We're going to start doing some shorter trips again.
Gordon
Gordon
That trip sounds fantastic.
But don't let the children stop you! When ours were 5 and 7 we had two trailer bikes built and cycled from the UK to Spain (Bilbao) with them. It took us two weeks and about 800 miles. We took all our camping gear as well. The biggest challenge was trying to get them to pedal up the hills! That was the first of several such tours. They loved it, and we had a good time too. Very inexpensive holiday.
Jim
-
12 years ago I rode Cairo to Capetown (ride kms of about 15,500) on a mountain bike. This was pre digital and I carried an EOS 5, 20-35, 35-350 and 200 rolls of film. How you load your camera depends on what else you are carrying. If you're only carrying your camera gear then it will be best over the rear wheels somewhere, preferably directlty above the wheel rather than off to one side. I carried everything I owned (literally!) and had the camera gear in a normal camera bag sitting on a heavily modified front rack. Actually it was a heavilly modified rear rack modified to mount on the front. I tried handle bar bags but the weight kept making them slip down all the time. Also having the bag down, closer to the wheel did help with stability. But I already had full front and rear panniers.
Your steering will be different with weight at the front, but you will get used to it. And having gear under the handle bars is a bit like having a roll cage to protect it somewhat. But I'd still put it on the rear unless you have to have it at the front.
I'm jealous. I met my wife on that trip. As soon as the kids are old enough for boarding school (or I can find a buyer ). We're going to start doing some shorter trips again.
Gordon
Gordon - I will add like Jim - don't let kids stop you. Ours are 5 and 2. If they come with us we use a bike trailer and trail-a-bike to move the kids around. Typically they're good for a mornings ride. On those occasions we drive to various starting points on bike trails.
This time though we've arranged for both grandparents and my sister to take care of the kids and it will be 10 days of adult only time.
You would be amazed at what is possible.
Good Luck
Mark
-
tried to keep all the heaviest gear close to the ground, and usually didn't have a lot of weight in the handlebar bag.
This is so important. The lower the weight the better the bike will handle. But for safety, I would not put camera gear in side panniers. Despite the fact that it is relatively heavy.
-
Hi,
I do a lot of mountain biking and cycle touring carrying my camera gear and/or some video gear, I use a lowepro slingbag 100. I know you said you will be riding 2 - 3 hours per day but, honestly, that is not really a lot to put up with a small back pack, far better than worrying about it bouncing of your rack or falling from your handlebars and a lot quicker to get the camera out for talking a picture. The only time I felt the bag an inconvenience was touring in Sri Lanka but it was over 35 - 40 degrees celcius and I am really not used to that coming from Scotland.
Cheers John
-
I've got a slightly bigger slingshot and although it's OK over short distances. I wouldn't like to ride for long periods with one.
I also have a dicky shoulder that appeared just after first using the backpack - the one you swing the bag over. It may be coincidence, it may not.
When I'm MTBing I have a back pack that sits away from my back and although it can carry more weight than my other more minimal bikepack, it is so much nicer to use as your back and therefore you don't get so hot. Makes a huge difference.
-
I asked a similar question in a different forum prior to a one-month 9000km motorbike trip through Patagonia. I proposed to carry similar (Canon) gear to you. Some of the old hands replied "You're taking way too much gear". I thought "Phooey!".
They were right!
I have just bought a Canon G10 that would have been a far better choice for my trip and I suspect yours.
Weight is one factor, bulk is another. Concern about damaging the camera gear while travelling and yourself if you fall off while carrying some much on your back are also important. But the final point is that a point and shoot is much, much more convenient. Put it in a fanny pack and it is available for those spontaneous shots at a moments notice. In a car, you can leave a DSLR with attached lens on the seat beside you - you can't on a bike.
I also took an old Canon A75. Just about the only times I used the DSLR was when I had dedicated photo events on the trip - it was simply too much hassle, even though the quality of DSLR photos are (of course) vastly superior. And on a motorbike I had much better load carrying options.
You might also check with your wife if its okay to fill your load carrying capacity with camera gear!
I have yet to test the G10, but my exectations are that at low ISOs it will provide acceptable, probably even publishable, photos. Oh how I wish I had it in Patagonia last November!
-
Frodo makes a good point. If you take your SLR kit, however, I’d also recommend a tripod.
I’d carry just my camera and one lens (your 18-70mm) in my handlebar bag. I’d carry the rest of my camera gear on a rack over my rear wheel in some type of easily accessible container.
-
I've made several motorcycle dirt bike trips taking my pro Canon gear without incident. When I go I really fly since I still race cross-country. A trip in Mexico involved a crash at about 65 mph in the desert. My Lowepro Toploader protected my 1DsII and my 28-300 IS L lens. Another desert get-off landed me on my rear on my Lowepro Orion. Again, everything worked well. Trips in Colorado and Utah (including the White Rim Trail, a must-see, as noted by another above) with a 1DsIII & the 28-300 lens combo but inside a padded tank bag survived with zero problems.
Comments: take pro gear. These cameras & lenses are built for rugged environments (is there a D3 in your near future?) Mount the weight around your waist if you can. Don't worry about the lens mount any more than the internal circuit board mounting on pro cameras. Ever see pro sports shooters pro Canon & Nikon cameras? They look like (and apparently are used like) police department mag lights. I would always shut off the lens stabilizer switch before putting the camera & lens back in whatever bag you use.
Stu