Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: dwood on March 02, 2009, 05:24:33 pm

Title: Ram Island Light
Post by: dwood on March 02, 2009, 05:24:33 pm
This lighthouse is located in Casco Bay (Maine) and marks an entry into the shipping channel to Portland. It was a lovely, quiet morning, albeit a very cold one. Winter is still hanging tough here with a fresh coating of 10 or so inches of snow today. Kind of getting tired of it, actually. Anyway, here's the picture...

(http://dswood.zenfolio.com/img/v5/p385923618-4.jpg)
Title: Ram Island Light
Post by: fototrotter on March 04, 2009, 11:11:52 am
Hi, Doug,...

I think framing this lighthouse could ad more tension to the picture....
The horizon is pretty much in the centre, which gives a boring feel.
And I would like to see more lighthouse, and less water.

greetings,
Steven

Title: Ram Island Light
Post by: dwood on March 04, 2009, 04:26:16 pm
Quote from: fototrotter
Hi, Doug,...

I think framing this lighthouse could ad more tension to the picture....
The horizon is pretty much in the centre, which gives a boring feel.
And I would like to see more lighthouse, and less water.

greetings,
Steven

Thanks for your feedback Steven. It's always interesting to hear differing perspectives.
Title: Ram Island Light
Post by: Richowens on March 04, 2009, 05:13:34 pm
[attachment=11904:p385923618_4_1.jpg]

 Hope you don't mind if I did a few adjustments.

Rich
Title: Ram Island Light
Post by: dwood on March 04, 2009, 05:29:34 pm
Quote from: Richowens
[attachment=11904:p385923618_4_1.jpg]

 Hope you don't mind if I did a few adjustments.

Rich

Nope, don't mind at all. I like your crop but I'll admit that I'm drawn to the drama that more of the dark clouds provide in the picture. Worth playing around with though, thanks.
Title: Ram Island Light
Post by: mike.online on March 04, 2009, 06:48:39 pm
i kinda like it how it was first, including the framing. thanks for sharing
Title: Ram Island Light
Post by: PeterAit on March 04, 2009, 08:19:56 pm
Quote from: fototrotter
Hi, Doug,...

I think framing this lighthouse could ad more tension to the picture....
The horizon is pretty much in the centre, which gives a boring feel.
And I would like to see more lighthouse, and less water.

greetings,
Steven

Why would you want more "tension?" I see it as a photo of a bay that happens to have a lighthouse on the far shore.

Peter