Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: NikoJorj on February 24, 2009, 06:16:45 pm

Title: Above a sea of clouds
Post by: NikoJorj on February 24, 2009, 06:16:45 pm
Last saturday, the Grandes Rousses seen from the Jas des Lièvres...

Comments, critiques and suggestions warmly welcome!
Title: Above a sea of clouds
Post by: BlasR on February 24, 2009, 08:34:52 pm
Beautiful!!!

BlasR
Title: Above a sea of clouds
Post by: Luis Argerich on February 24, 2009, 08:40:39 pm
Very beautiful image, congrats!

Luigi
Title: Above a sea of clouds
Post by: dalethorn on February 24, 2009, 11:41:12 pm
It's really great to see several different major texture areas in the same image, and they work together well. The swirling snow "dunes" at bottom, the fog(?) above that, the peaks above that, amd a reasonable sky that doesn't look highly polarized.
Title: Above a sea of clouds
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on February 25, 2009, 12:18:12 am
Very nice!
Title: Above a sea of clouds
Post by: Christos Andronis on February 25, 2009, 04:39:50 am
Very nice image. As the image is essentially monochromatic, you could try converting it to B&W and then by increasing the contrast, try bringing out the snow texture in the foreground, which is (in my mind) the prominent element here.

- Christos
Title: Above a sea of clouds
Post by: bellimages on February 25, 2009, 11:06:34 am
I'd do black and white too. The somewhat annoying clouds might turn out to be a good thing in black and white. If it was my photo, and I was keeping it color, I'd remove the sky and do a dramatic gradation of blue tones. From my standpoint, photos are art .... so I don't mind changing reality. Purists on the other hand would cringe at such a thought.
Title: Above a sea of clouds
Post by: NikoJorj on February 25, 2009, 11:36:17 am
Thanks all for the kind words!

For black & white, I understand... but well, I see in color and just can't convey what I saw in B&W - even as I greatly appreciate other's B&W images, and admire the work of Weston, Adams, Washburn...
I always dream in color, it's maybe related?
Title: Above a sea of clouds
Post by: fototrotter on February 25, 2009, 05:18:08 pm
Ah Les Grandes Rousses,... I've been there so many times and they are so beautifull,...
Well done, this photo, I like it.
Title: Above a sea of clouds
Post by: bretedge on February 25, 2009, 08:36:05 pm
I think this should definitely be converted to b&w.  I'd also remove that contrail in the sky.  The textures, layers and mood of the image are fantastic.  I'm especially fond of the snow dunes at the bottom.  Very nice!
Title: Above a sea of clouds
Post by: kaelaria on February 25, 2009, 08:38:38 pm
Sick!!
Title: Above a sea of clouds
Post by: NikoJorj on February 26, 2009, 09:39:31 am
To the overwhelming demand   I tried a B&W version... Not sure I buy it though, it feels a bit contrived. Feel free to bash it! (And please don't look at the jpeg artifacts : it was done from the previous web version, I haven't got original at hand here)
Title: Above a sea of clouds
Post by: dalethorn on February 26, 2009, 06:32:15 pm
Quote from: NikoJorj
To the overwhelming demand   I tried a B&W version... Not sure I buy it though, it feels a bit contrived. Feel free to bash it! (And please don't look at the jpeg artifacts : it was done from the previous web version, I haven't got original at hand here)

OK - here's the bash. This B&W looks like some kind of cotton candy - without the color. The original looked like snow. Of course, there are a million ways to convert to B&W, so if you have the interest, look into it a little more.