Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Medium Format / Film / Digital Backs – and Large Sensor Photography => Topic started by: Nick-T on February 23, 2009, 02:27:07 pm

Title: Hasselblad Firmware update
Post by: Nick-T on February 23, 2009, 02:27:07 pm
Just a heads up to let you know that Hasselblad have posted firmware updates on their site (under downloads) for H series cameras and H3Ds. The firmware update include support for the HTS, new zoom, DC power grip and give a stop more sensitivity taking the H3D31 to 1600 ISO and the 39 to 800.

Nick-T
Title: Hasselblad Firmware update
Post by: Toto on February 23, 2009, 03:00:25 pm
That's great, for Mac users. For Windows, you need to have a new version of Phocus that is not yet available
Title: Hasselblad Firmware update
Post by: Nick-T on February 23, 2009, 03:16:27 pm
Quote from: Toto
That's great, for Mac users. For Windows, you need to have a new version of Phocus that is not yet available

Phocus 1.02 for PC is in beta now so shouldn't be too far off.
Nick-T
Title: Hasselblad Firmware update
Post by: Dustbak on February 23, 2009, 05:19:23 pm
How about ISO800 for the CF39?    Is that included in this package?
Title: Hasselblad Firmware update
Post by: froesner on February 23, 2009, 05:30:08 pm
Hi Nick,

this is great news! Could you by any chance advice me whether there is a recommended order in which I should install the updates (Body / Back)?

Best

Frank
Title: Hasselblad Firmware update
Post by: Nick-T on February 23, 2009, 05:53:51 pm
Quote from: Dustbak
How about ISO800 for the CF39?    Is that included in this package?

The readmes don't explicitly say but I would expect that the CF39 would be included.

Nick-T
Title: Hasselblad Firmware update
Post by: Dustbak on February 23, 2009, 06:05:29 pm
Quote from: Nick-T
The readmes don't explicitly say but I would expect that the CF39 would be included.

Nick-T

Thx!

I will give it a go tomorrow. Now I want to get some sleep.
Title: Hasselblad Firmware update
Post by: MarkKay on February 23, 2009, 11:44:40 pm
Why dont they state that on their website?  I mean if you look there is no mention of this feature in the latest version of Phocus.
Title: Hasselblad Firmware update
Post by: nikf on February 24, 2009, 12:33:59 am
There seems to be something wrong with the combined H-Series body update. I cannot unzip any .cim file.
Phocus doesn't accept the 081222.hbf file and gives out an error ... something about wrong firmware and
using Flexcolor ... In the readme .cim files are specifically mentioned and therefore I think something went wrong
while preparing the file. The update of the back with the other R248.zip file went fine and I could shot with 1600 ISO (H3DII-31).
Title: Hasselblad Firmware update
Post by: MarkKay on February 24, 2009, 01:00:58 am
I realize that initially i was at the hasselbladusa site, which did not give me the new firmware download.  Once I found the correct place, I did the following and got the exact same error as you did.
However, if you look at what is updated, the R248 update looks like it contains the same information as the the other hbf file but in addition the iso update as well.  So perhaps you do not need both?
Quote from: nikf
There seems to be something wrong with the combined H-Series body update. I cannot unzip any .cim file.
Phocus doesn't accept the 081222.hbf file and gives out an error ... something about wrong firmware and
using Flexcolor ... In the readme .cim files are specifically mentioned and therefore I think something went wrong
while preparing the file. The update of the back with the other R248.zip file went fine and I could shot with 1600 ISO (H3DII-31).
Title: Hasselblad Firmware update
Post by: nikf on February 24, 2009, 07:26:22 am
Quote from: MarkKay
I realize that initially i was at the hasselbladusa site, which did not give me the new firmware download.  Once I found the correct place, I did the following and got the exact same error as you did.
However, if you look at what is updated, the R248 update looks like it contains the same information as the the other hbf file but in addition the iso update as well.  So perhaps you do not need both?
But my camera shows firmware 2.0.1/R248 not 2.1.0 for the body as described in the readme. All seems to work fine though. Does your camera show 2.1.0 for the body?
Title: Hasselblad Firmware update
Post by: Robert Moore on February 24, 2009, 08:16:16 am
I believe that both firmware updates are indeed needed. CIM for the back and hbf for the body update. I was unable to get the combined
update to work with either Phocus or Flexcolor both most current versions...although in the readme the hbf update mentions a prior version of
Phocus for the Mac 1.10. I have not downgraded to that version to attempt the upgrade as I assume they mean 1.10 and newer.

My back shows new Iso settings but my body is not upgraded with the CIM version so I assume we need a corrected hbf version.

Bob
Title: Hasselblad Firmware update
Post by: Michael HG on February 24, 2009, 08:28:43 am
Quote from: nikf
There seems to be something wrong with the combined H-Series body update. I cannot unzip any .cim file.
Phocus doesn't accept the 081222.hbf file and gives out an error ... something about wrong firmware and
using Flexcolor ... In the readme .cim files are specifically mentioned and therefore I think something went wrong
while preparing the file. The update of the back with the other R248.zip file went fine and I could shot with 1600 ISO (H3DII-31).

you need the new phocus release 1.13 which is available on the hasselblad-site now (still with 1.12 you get an error)
with  H3DII-50 it worked properly

Michael
Title: Hasselblad Firmware update
Post by: Robert Moore on February 24, 2009, 08:47:44 am
Quote from: Michael HG
you need the new phocus release 1.13 which is available on the hasselblad-site now (still with 1.12 you get an error)
with  H3DII-50 it worked properly

Michael


Just downloaded 1.1.3

Thanks.

Bob
Title: Hasselblad Firmware update
Post by: Hass on February 24, 2009, 09:10:53 am
Quote from: Robert Moore
Just downloaded 1.1.3

Thanks.

Bob
Hi:it is nice to hear the news.at same time would you mind offer a pictures use the iso 1600.thank yu
Title: Hasselblad Firmware update
Post by: nikf on February 24, 2009, 09:58:37 am
Quote from: Michael HG
you need the new phocus release 1.13 which is available on the hasselblad-site now (still with 1.12 you get an error)
with  H3DII-50 it worked properly

Michael

Thank you very much for the hint ... that worked! Camera successfully updated to 2.1.0/R248.
Title: Hasselblad Firmware update
Post by: Dustbak on February 24, 2009, 11:43:47 am
Damn!      

It doesn't do anything with a CF39 back. I get no ISO800. The firmware installed on both my H2F as well as the CF39 back but I remain at ISO400 max  Anyone else with a CF39 that sees the same thing?

David, does this FW update not cover CF line backs?
Title: Hasselblad Firmware update
Post by: jimgolden on February 24, 2009, 12:43:19 pm
oh and look at this - The ISO 800 for the H3D-22 - it's not there! - WOW, thats really grand I'm so glad I was promised that a year ago when I bought my H3. The ISO bump was promised for everything back to Imacon backs...really disappointing. Considering that my investment is worth essentially nothing now (no trade in programs anymore), this would be the icing on the cake

Please say it aint so...
Title: Hasselblad Firmware update
Post by: Nick-T on February 24, 2009, 02:08:49 pm
Quote from: Toto
That's great, for Mac users. For Windows, you need to have a new version of Phocus that is not yet available

Phocus 1.02 for Windows is on the Hasselblad site for download.
Nick-T
Title: Hasselblad Firmware update
Post by: JonTMiller2 on February 25, 2009, 08:43:10 am
I don't see this firmware on the hasselblad usa site.  Where will I find it?
Title: Hasselblad Firmware update
Post by: BlasR on February 25, 2009, 10:27:00 am
Quote from: JonTMiller2
I don't see this firmware on the hasselblad usa site.  Where will I find it?


You need to change to around the world(global) to see it.

BlasR
Title: Hasselblad Firmware update
Post by: rsmphoto on February 25, 2009, 12:29:50 pm
Quote from: JonTMiller2
I don't see this firmware on the hasselblad usa site.  Where will I find it?

It's there now...
Title: Hasselblad Firmware update
Post by: happyman on February 26, 2009, 05:35:54 am
No Iso 800 on H3D39  

It was promissed, or not?

Title: Hasselblad Firmware update
Post by: Professional on February 26, 2009, 06:11:25 am
Too bad, even i am registered but i always get an "Unauthorized" message, even i am logged in, so how can i download things.
Title: Hasselblad Firmware update
Post by: David Grover / Capture One on February 26, 2009, 06:55:40 am
Quote from: happyman
No Iso 800 on H3D39  

It was promissed, or not?

The new firmware applies to the H3D39 as well - Increase to ISO 800.


Title: Hasselblad Firmware update
Post by: David Grover / Capture One on February 26, 2009, 06:56:22 am
Quote from: Professional
Too bad, even i am registered but i always get an "Unauthorized" message, even i am logged in, so how can i download things.

Drop a quick email to [email protected].  Maybe your password is incorrect?
Title: Hasselblad Firmware update
Post by: Hass on February 26, 2009, 07:06:16 am
new firmware applies to the H3D39 as well but not  Increase to ISO 800.
its for H3dII onely at right now
Title: Hasselblad Firmware update
Post by: jecxz on February 26, 2009, 07:07:29 am
Quote from: David Grover / Hasselblad
The new firmware applies to the H3D39 as well - Increase to ISO 800.
David,

Please confirm anything about the 64-second exposure bump in the new firmware update. Thanks!

Kind regards,
Derek
Title: Hasselblad Firmware update
Post by: David Grover / Capture One on February 26, 2009, 07:27:00 am
Quote from: Hass
new firmware applies to the H3D39 as well but not  Increase to ISO 800.
its for H3dII onely at right now

Apologies - I read the post too quickly!

David


Title: Hasselblad Firmware update
Post by: David Grover / Capture One on February 26, 2009, 07:30:37 am
Quote from: jecxz
David,

Please confirm anything about the 64-second exposure bump in the new firmware update. Thanks!

Kind regards,
Derek

Hi Derek,

64s is still forthcoming.

The update at this stage increases ISO from 800-1600 on the H3DII31 and 400-800 on the H3DII39.


Best,



David
Title: Hasselblad Firmware update
Post by: Dustbak on February 26, 2009, 07:46:49 am
David,

Will both the bump to 64sec's as well as the ISO800 also apply for the CF line? (not so much interested in the higher ISO, even if it is nice, but very interested in the exposure bump).
Title: Hasselblad Firmware update
Post by: Professional on February 26, 2009, 10:11:17 am
Quote from: David Grover / Hasselblad
Drop a quick email to [email protected].  Maybe your password is incorrect?

The password is correct, so dunno what's the problem. Anyway, i will drop them an email.
Title: Hasselblad Firmware update
Post by: happyman on February 26, 2009, 10:27:56 am
It leaves a bad taste that promises made by Hasselblad don´t come true. I am so tired of running after those promises by sending emails, asking reps, etc.
Shame on Hasselblad. First they cancelled the upgrade path, now they forget the previous users. What will be next? First generation users declared to non-existing?
Title: Hasselblad Firmware update
Post by: BlasR on February 26, 2009, 10:58:53 am
Quote from: happyman
It leaves a bad taste that promises made by Hasselblad don´t come true. I am so tired of running after those promises by sending emails, asking reps, etc.
Shame on Hasselblad. First they cancelled the upgrade path, now they forget the previous users. What will be next? First generation users declared to non-existing?



Happyman,

What was the promises?

I'm new to hasselblad, and everything they promises(to me) been good.

That is why I ask.



"I remember when phase one promises, c1 4.0 will be next month, but next month, is turn to more then 2 years"


So far Hasselblad been good, I hope they continue like that.  But like I say I'm new/young

BlasR

Title: Hasselblad Firmware update
Post by: Dustbak on February 26, 2009, 11:27:58 am
Hasselblad promised, some time ago now, that all products including Ixpress backs, CF as well as H3 would get a speed bump. Both ISO as well as maximum exposure would be doubled.

This is already taking a very long time to materialize and at this moment there has been a very minor FW released that appears to only double the ISO for the H3DII family. Owners of CF, Ixpress or H3D products are not benefitting of the ISO bump.

The longer exposure time is still not here.

I assume, the ISO bump for other back owners as well as the bump in maximum exposure time for every Hasselblad back will be released in the near future like it has been promised on several occasions.
Title: Hasselblad Firmware update
Post by: perbernal on February 26, 2009, 06:32:27 pm
Quote from: David Grover / Hasselblad
Hi Derek,

64s is still forthcoming.

The update at this stage increases ISO from 800-1600 on the H3DII31 and 400-800 on the H3DII39.


Best,



David

I´m  very happy with the speed bump but the "export new images automatically" function is what´s really impresses me with this version of Phocus. Just installed it + the new firmware and hooked up my H3DII-31 to my laptop. I was really surprised how fast the laptop generated DNG´s at the same time as I was shooting into Phocus continuously. It took 2 seconds for the image to mount on the screen in Phocus software, another 2 seconds for it to look sharp and about 3-4 seconds more for the DNG to mount on the desktop. With Bridge running in the background I was able to open up the DNG very quickly in Photoshop. Well done, Hasselblad!

Best, Per Bernal
Title: Hasselblad Firmware update
Post by: jimgolden on February 26, 2009, 09:24:48 pm
per what laptop are you using?
Title: Hasselblad Firmware update
Post by: jimgolden on February 26, 2009, 09:26:16 pm
@ Dustbak & happyman - I hear ya...
Title: Hasselblad Firmware update
Post by: perbernal on February 27, 2009, 01:57:21 am
Quote from: jimgolden
per what laptop are you using?


I´m using the new Macbook Pro 15" 2.4 GHz with 4 GB of RAM in configuration with an 24 inch LED screen. Not a speed monster but it does the job when shooting on location or in studio. Here´s an image of my set-up that is relatively inexpensive and easy to roll around on a flat surface.

Per
Title: Hasselblad Firmware update
Post by: jecxz on February 27, 2009, 04:58:21 am
Quote from: perbernal
I´m  very happy with the speed bump but the "export new images automatically" function is what´s really impresses me with this version of Phocus. Just installed it + the new firmware and hooked up my H3DII-31 to my laptop. I was really surprised how fast the laptop generated DNG´s at the same time as I was shooting into Phocus continuously. It took 2 seconds for the image to mount on the screen in Phocus software, another 2 seconds for it to look sharp and about 3-4 seconds more for the DNG to mount on the desktop. With Bridge running in the background I was able to open up the DNG very quickly in Photoshop. Well done, Hasselblad!

Best, Per Bernal
 I'm thinking some of us are referring to the speed bump as faster processing and others take it to mean the 64-second bump in exposure time.  
Title: Hasselblad Firmware update
Post by: nikf on February 27, 2009, 10:18:36 am
Quote from: perbernal
Here´s an image of my set-up that is relatively inexpensive and easy to roll around on a flat surface.

Would you reveal what kind of stand this is? Looks very interesting ... it seems to have a standard VESA mount too ...
Title: Hasselblad Firmware update
Post by: Enda Cavanagh on March 04, 2009, 04:40:39 pm
I've noticed a huge improvement in the time it takes for the image to process onto phocus and the time it takes for a sharp image to appear as you browse from one image to another. The time it takes to export a file is also dramatically cut. It was really painfully slow previously, even though I have a decent specced mac pro. So I'm a happy boy. And as I said in another post I was unable to shoot exposures longer than about 7 seconds on previous versions of phocus(not a problem with flexcolour). After 7 the camera would time out even without releasing the cable release. After this I would get really strong magenta streaking. All that has been resolved and I can even shoot longer than 32 seconds - over 40 in fact.    


 
Quote from: jecxz
I'm thinking some of us are referring to the speed bump as faster processing and others take it to mean the 64-second bump in exposure time.  
Title: Hasselblad Firmware update
Post by: pprachun on March 08, 2009, 08:55:00 am
Hello All:
Have just upgraded my H3D-II 39 to Phocus 1.02 (Windows Vista64) and was successful in upgrading the BODY firmware to v2.1.0.  However, now I am UNable to successfully connect the camera with the new Phocus for either tethered shooting or being able to upgrade the BACK firmware from R245 to the newer R248.
When I attempt to connect the camera to Phocus, there seems to be a momentary connection established where the "Capture" icon appears functional, but then trying to do anything -- like even a mouse click -- puts the program into "Program Not Responding" mode.

The camera itself functions without problem.
Have already wasted an hour or so on this -- anyone have any ideas or similar problems?
Title: Hasselblad Firmware update
Post by: David Grover / Capture One on March 08, 2009, 09:10:09 am
Quote from: pprachun
Hello All:
Have just upgraded my H3D-II 39 to Phocus 1.02 (Windows Vista64) and was successful in upgrading the BODY firmware to v2.1.0.  However, now I am UNable to successfully connect the camera with the new Phocus for either tethered shooting or being able to upgrade the BACK firmware from R245 to the newer R248.
When I attempt to connect the camera to Phocus, there seems to be a momentary connection established where the "Capture" icon appears functional, but then trying to do anything -- like even a mouse click -- puts the program into "Program Not Responding" mode.

The camera itself functions without problem.
Have already wasted an hour or so on this -- anyone have any ideas or similar problems?

I've sent you a PM paul with a solution.

David


Title: Hasselblad Firmware update
Post by: Nick-T on March 23, 2009, 03:42:59 pm
Quote from: Hass
new firmware applies to the H3D39 as well but not  Increase to ISO 800.
its for H3dII onely at right now


Thought I'd bump this thread as Hasselblad have extended support for the ISO bump (And didn't make you pay to upgrade to a "plus" model
This from Hasselblad:


With new advances of the noise reduction facilities in our camera firmware and Phocus software, we are proud to release extended ISO capabilities on the following products:

- ISO 800 on H2D-39, H3D-39, H3DII-39, CFH-39, CF-39, CFII-39
- ISO 1600 on H3D-31, H3DII-31

For our H3DII-50 camera the extra ISO step, as well as other new features is expected to be released within the coming month.
Title: Hasselblad Firmware update
Post by: Dustbak on March 23, 2009, 06:03:39 pm
I have upgraded the firmware in my CF39 this afternoon and am very happy with the option to go to ISO800.

Thank you Hasselblad!

Title: Hasselblad Firmware update
Post by: BobDavid on March 23, 2009, 06:06:00 pm
Is the firmware for the CF 39MS too?
Title: Hasselblad Firmware update
Post by: Dustbak on March 23, 2009, 07:10:43 pm
I think it is but since I still use Flexcolor mainly for my MS and I hate that pesky firmware notification every time I swap a lens I have decided to leave the R245 firmware in my MS for the time being.
Title: Hasselblad Firmware update
Post by: hobbsr on March 23, 2009, 10:27:55 pm
Hi All,

Just upgraded my H3D31 and very impressed with the first test shots at 1600 iso. Good job Hasselblad!

Rodney
Title: Hasselblad Firmware update
Post by: paulhu on March 24, 2009, 09:43:06 am
Just upgraded the R249 firmware on my H3D-31.  Very impressed with the ISO 1600 images.  Visually, I could not see any noise level increase on images shot with ISO 1600.  Thanks Hasseblad.
Title: Hasselblad Firmware update
Post by: choen on March 25, 2009, 02:17:56 am
I was promised an upgrade path and iso and long exposure upgrade when I purchased the h3d-22 over a year ago.( ...'most cost effective way to get a foot into the digital Hasselblad system, use for a while then trade in for a higher resolution model bla bla')

Now it seems that such a promise has either been forgotten- it's like it's never even been made at all. It's a betrayal, Hasselblad. Boo.
Title: Hasselblad Firmware update
Post by: Dustbak on March 25, 2009, 02:51:48 am
Well, you finally got the ISO upgrade. We are still pressing Hasselblad to cough up the exposure upgrade which I am sure will also come in the near future.

The upgrade promise is an entirely different matter. Over here the consumer law specifically states a sale can be annulled when conditions not mentioned during sale would have been a valid reason not to buy the article. Having bought the equipment with the promise you could upgrade it at a later stage definitely qualifies as one of those reasons, IMO. The consumer law throughout Europe does vary in this aspect (I don't know anything about the situation outside the EU). Point of this is that you should talk to Hasselblad or a dealer about this when you want to upgrade.

I do believe abandoning the upgrade system was a wise move that opens up the MFDB market for a larger audience but this doesn't mean promises from the past can or should be put aside. You should at least give talk to your (or a) dealer and Hasselblad about it. It would be interesting to know what their response will be.  

For your information. I have upgraded my old back after the upgrade program was abandoned. True, I already made the commitment to upgrade before the announcement. It does show however people at Hasselblad do know that they have made a promise and are willing to at least try to fulfill that promise.

Now, if I can get the 64sec's........
Title: Hasselblad Firmware update
Post by: David Grover / Capture One on March 25, 2009, 03:26:29 am
Quote from: choen
I was promised an upgrade path and iso and long exposure upgrade when I purchased the h3d-22 over a year ago.( ...'most cost effective way to get a foot into the digital Hasselblad system, use for a while then trade in for a higher resolution model bla bla')

Now it seems that such a promise has either been forgotten- it's like it's never even been made at all. It's a betrayal, Hasselblad. Boo.

Hi Choen,

It is also important to note that the prices across the whole system were dropped significantly to cater exactly for someone in your position.

The cost to upgrade for example from your H3D22 to and H3D31 was approx €11,000.  This is a price from April 2008, so under a year ago.

The price for a NEW H3D31 is approx €12,000 (depending where you live, taxes, etc).  This is also with an 80mm lens PLUS you are keeping your old system.

So we are asking you to pay €1000 more and keep your existing camera.  I think it would be pretty easy to get €1000 for your H3D22 or keep it as a back up.

The same maths applies for a H3D22 to H3D39 except the cost difference is about €2000.

Best,



David
Title: Hasselblad Firmware update
Post by: Professional on March 25, 2009, 08:35:13 am
The salesman i bought my H3DII-39 from told me that i can return my H3D anytime and pay little more the difference and get 50mp, same if there will be new H3D i can always return back my H3D 39 and get the new one with the difference price only and keep my lenses.
Title: Hasselblad Firmware update
Post by: choen on March 25, 2009, 12:23:42 pm
Hi David,

I am based in South East Asia, perhaps the sweatshop of photography. We need to work several times more just to recoup our investments here.

Also, and rather unfortunately, at the time I was buying the system, what my salesman told me was that I could return my camera much later and pay the difference for the 39mp, which was what I was aiming for but just could not stump out the full sum (the only place I could take a loan from was from the stockist's prefered lease agent and their terms were very one sided unfair so I opted to put down cash instead- very painful experience mind you). To be fair I was made aware that a new generation was going to replace the 22mp model soon- but the story told to me about easy upgrades sounded really good. But too good to be true?

A little over a year later, the company I bought the camera from said no deal, Hasselblad changed their terms, and so must they. Ouch. Then to find the 22mp model getting discontinued in the next generation, have little upgrades that every other model have, only served to infuriate me further. I am not going to throw in my savings and my future generation's to buy another DMF camera. I don't need two digital backs- my 35mm systems take care of the other work.

What isnt helping too is the 22mp unit I bought seem to be a bit of a sick note. This month it's being sent back to Denmark for the fourth or fifth time (alas I lost count) for electronic repairs.

How long more will Hasselblad support my purchase? I don't even see any feature upgrades at all that's being made for the other models.

Maybe I was just being unfair to be booing Hasselblad in my previous post. Just feeling anxious about the economy.
Sorry, to have gone out of topic- this thread is supposed to be about firmware upgrade.

Adios
Title: Hasselblad Firmware update
Post by: David Grover / Capture One on March 25, 2009, 12:44:34 pm
Quote from: choen
Hi David,

I am based in South East Asia, perhaps the sweatshop of photography. We need to work several times more just to recoup our investments here.

Also, and rather unfortunately, at the time I was buying the system, what my salesman told me was that I could return my camera much later and pay the difference for the 39mp, which was what I was aiming for but just could not stump out the full sum (the only place I could take a loan from was from the stockist's prefered lease agent and their terms were very one sided unfair so I opted to put down cash instead- very painful experience mind you). To be fair I was made aware that a new generation was going to replace the 22mp model soon- but the story told to me about easy upgrades sounded really good. But too good to be true?

A little over a year later, the company I bought the camera from said no deal, Hasselblad changed their terms, and so must they. Ouch. Then to find the 22mp model getting discontinued in the next generation, have little upgrades that every other model have, only served to infuriate me further. I am not going to throw in my savings and my future generation's to buy another DMF camera. I don't need two digital backs- my 35mm systems take care of the other work.

What isnt helping too is the 22mp unit I bought seem to be a bit of a sick note. This month it's being sent back to Denmark for the fourth or fifth time (alas I lost count) for electronic repairs.

How long more will Hasselblad support my purchase? I don't even see any feature upgrades at all that's being made for the other models.

Maybe I was just being unfair to be booing Hasselblad in my previous post. Just feeling anxious about the economy.
Sorry, to have gone out of topic- this thread is supposed to be about firmware upgrade.

Adios


Hi Choen,

Well it sounds like your salesman was being a bit unfair to you, and I am very sorry to hear that.  We have ran many campaigns where there were upgrade paths from smaller>larger sensors but normally only for very limited times if something new was on the horizon, like the 50MP to 60MP plan.  So the prices I gave you earlier were the official line, and we were always very clear to the dealers about the terms and how long campaigns run for.  So when the upgrade plan was dropped we made sure the financial hit to the user was extremely close to how it was before, not forgetting you kept your old system, whereas before you returned it.

Considering we still support the ixpress line of digital backs for repairs, spares and also support in Phocus, I don't think you should be concerned with future support by us.  

Features we have added to the H3D22 include things like...

- New, more accurate battery level information
- Mirror delay to help in longer hand held exposures
- Double click entry into the menu system and scroll wheel control
- Instant access to ISO/WB control instead of having to go through to the "digital" menu on the H camera
- Changes to interval timer, bracketing feature
- Added support for the HTS, HCD35-90 and forthcoming DC power grip
- Much more!

In fact the only thing that has been missed on the 22MP is the extra ISO step.

Plus all these updates can be made by you locally via Phocus, no need to return to the factory or dealer.

Best

David.
Title: Hasselblad Firmware update
Post by: Henry Goh on March 25, 2009, 12:47:34 pm
Quote from: David Grover / Hasselblad
Hi Choen,

It is also important to note that the prices across the whole system were dropped significantly to cater exactly for someone in your position.

The cost to upgrade for example from your H3D22 to and H3D31 was approx €11,000.  This is a price from April 2008, so under a year ago.

The price for a NEW H3D31 is approx €12,000 (depending where you live, taxes, etc).  This is also with an 80mm lens PLUS you are keeping your old system.

So we are asking you to pay €1000 more and keep your existing camera.  I think it would be pretty easy to get €1000 for your H3D22 or keep it as a back up.

The same maths applies for a H3D22 to H3D39 except the cost difference is about €2000.

Best,



David

Hello David.

I don't think this is the practice in all markets.  Where I am, I find your distributor does not keep to what is being announced in Europe/USA.  Whenever I receive a newsletter from Hasselblad, I would make some checks only to find I will not get the same deal.  I remember last year end you had a promotion and buyer would enjoy 30% off lens purchase.  When I enquired, I was told it was 20% here.  I dropped my intended purchase of a H3DII31 despite still owning 3 mechanical Hasselblads since 1973 or so.  Not very nice for customer loyalty.
Title: Hasselblad Firmware update
Post by: David Grover / Capture One on March 25, 2009, 12:54:47 pm
Quote from: Henry Goh
Hello David.

I don't think this is the practice in all markets.  Where I am, I find your distributor does not keep to what is being announced in Europe/USA.  Whenever I receive a newsletter from Hasselblad, I would make some checks only to find I will not get the same deal.  I remember last year end you had a promotion and buyer would enjoy 30% off lens purchase.  When I enquired, I was told it was 20% here.  I dropped my intended purchase of a H3DII31 despite still owning 3 mechanical Hasselblads since 1973 or so.  Not very nice for customer loyalty.

Due to currency fluctuations and import taxes the amount of discount can of course vary.

All I can say is that 20% is still 20% and I hope you consider us again in the future.

David
Title: Hasselblad Firmware update
Post by: Henry Goh on March 25, 2009, 01:07:19 pm
Quote from: David Grover / Hasselblad
Due to currency fluctuations and import taxes the amount of discount can of course vary.

All I can say is that 20% is still 20% and I hope you consider us again in the future.

David

I understand about currencies and their differences.  I still remember Akio Morita complaining about how he worked so hard to get cost down 3% only to be wiped out by a fluctuation in exchange rates of 15%.  Local distributor is not following your US or European prices in the first place so they have already factored in the exchange rates and shipping costs.  What peeved me was since those factors have already be accounted for, why the difference in discount rate if that was a promotion offered acros markets in Europe and USA? Either pure greed thinking buyers here are in the dark or just plain silly marketing decisions by them.  Sad either way.

On the other hand when Leaf had a promotion in USA and the local distributor did not have access to the deal (since it was by MAC), I was heard yaya told the local guy that I could have the same deal as the US if I wanted to go with Leaf.  Brilliant use of info from this forum.

BTW it was you who helped me decide to go with the H3DII31 last year through your tireless answering of my queries.  I'm still grateful for that.
Title: Hasselblad Firmware update
Post by: David Grover / Capture One on March 25, 2009, 02:08:25 pm
Quote from: Henry Goh
BTW it was you who helped me decide to go with the H3DII31 last year through your tireless answering of my queries.  I'm still grateful for that.

Thanks Henry.  Its nice to have feedback like that.

David
Title: Hasselblad Firmware update
Post by: jimgolden on March 25, 2009, 02:36:24 pm
David - any word on the ISO bump for the H3D-22??

thx
jim
Title: Hasselblad Firmware update
Post by: choen on March 26, 2009, 05:28:52 am
In my pessimistic opinion, I don't think it's going to happen.
Title: Hasselblad Firmware update
Post by: Henry Goh on March 26, 2009, 05:33:41 am
Nope, definitely not.
Title: Hasselblad Firmware update
Post by: jimgolden on March 26, 2009, 11:36:27 am
David wanna chime in? please - even if it's bad news...just don't leave us hanging Hassie...
Title: Hasselblad Firmware update
Post by: jimgolden on March 26, 2009, 11:37:50 am
double post
Title: Hasselblad Firmware update
Post by: David Grover / Capture One on March 26, 2009, 11:42:25 am
Quote from: jimgolden
David wanna chime in? please - even if it's bad news...just don't leave us hanging Hassie...

Hi Jim,

Sorry - I thought it was already mentioned earlier in this thread but I am probably confusing it with something else.

Anyway, to clarify...

I am afraid in this case the older 22MP sensors from Kodak simply can't go the extra stop of ISO and produce files of a standard consistently and reliably.  We have tried and unfortunately it is a feature that cannot be enabled.

As an alternative you could make a test with the EV compensation tool in Phocus. That does quite a good job of pushing a file by one stop with minimal damage.  I am not suggesting this is as useful as having the control on the camera, but it may get you out of an emergency situation.

Best,



David
Title: Hasselblad Firmware update
Post by: jimgolden on March 27, 2009, 12:30:22 am
thx for a straightforward answer David.

Quite a bummer, but I half expected it.