Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: dwood on February 22, 2009, 06:21:30 pm

Title: Flowing water in Winter
Post by: dwood on February 22, 2009, 06:21:30 pm
Snow and ice...came close to hurting myself getting this shot. I'm ready for Spring.

(http://dswood.zenfolio.com/img/v6/p1030897949-5.jpg)
Title: Flowing water in Winter
Post by: LoisWakeman on February 23, 2009, 07:04:00 am
Quote from: dwood
Snow and ice...came close to hurting myself getting this shot. I'm ready for Spring.
Hi Doug - it certainly gives a chilly raw winter feel and I do like the sense of looking from the cold snowy shadow into the golden distance - but to me, the chaotic nature of all the different elements here (rocks, snow, branches, water) is rather busy, and makes it hard to settle on a focal point.
Title: Flowing water in Winter
Post by: dwood on February 23, 2009, 07:34:01 am
Quote from: LoisWakeman
Hi Doug - it certainly gives a chilly raw winter feel and I do like the sense of looking from the cold snowy shadow into the golden distance - but to me, the chaotic nature of all the different elements here (rocks, snow, branches, water) is rather busy, and makes it hard to settle on a focal point.

You're right Lois, there are quite a number of elements in this picture. For me, that's what makes it interesting. In fact, one can come back to it time after time and discover new bits and pieces. It's fun to explore in a print.
Title: Flowing water in Winter
Post by: dalethorn on February 23, 2009, 02:12:16 pm
I like the flow (image flow) of the water etc. from the top, at one angle, progressing down to a closer view at another angle, as is common with small streams. It's really good that those different perspectives fit so neatly in one image.
Title: Flowing water in Winter
Post by: button on February 23, 2009, 06:05:16 pm
I really like the alternating horizontal and diagonal lines, as well as the deep blues- very cool effect.  I think you could make the shot stronger by cropping out the top orange leaves, using the horizontal branch as a framing element.

John
Title: Flowing water in Winter
Post by: LoisWakeman on February 24, 2009, 05:10:27 am
Quote from: dwood
You're right Lois, there are quite a number of elements in this picture. For me, that's what makes it interesting. In fact, one can come back to it time after time and discover new bits and pieces. It's fun to explore in a print.
I'm sure the print works much better - viewing on the web is such a superficial and limiting experience!