Luminous Landscape Forum
The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Roy Money on February 19, 2009, 11:06:50 pm
-
Here are some pictures I am considering for a photographic show submission.
I can only submit two.
Would appreciate comments and suggestions.
Thanks.
Roy
[attachment=11623:Bamboo_415.jpg]
[attachment=11625:Garden2_041x.jpg]
[attachment=11626:Garden2_045.jpg]
[attachment=11627:beechandrockx.jpg]
[attachment=11628:Beechwrinkles_ERPx.jpg]
[attachment=11629:plantx.jpg]
-
My vote is for #4 (tree and rock in snow -- the squiggly things in the upper right add a lot, in a weird way) and #1 (I like the interaction between the bamboo and the wrought iron fence).
-
I chose the same 2 as Eric - I think they are far and away the strongest - but I'm more into "intimate landscapes" than more scenic views. #4 is especially ravishing: for #1, I am slightly niggled by the angle of the fence - but still a strong image.
-
Here are some pictures I am considering for a photographic show submission.
I can only submit two.
Would appreciate comments and suggestions.
Thanks.
Roy
[attachment=11623:Bamboo_415.jpg]
[attachment=11625:Garden2_041x.jpg]
[attachment=11626:Garden2_045.jpg]
[attachment=11627:beechandrockx.jpg]
[attachment=11628:Beechwrinkles_ERPx.jpg]
[attachment=11629:plantx.jpg]
thanks Eric
-
I chose the same 2 as Eric - I think they are far and away the strongest - but I'm more into "intimate landscapes" than more scenic views. #4 is especially ravishing: for #1, I am slightly niggled by the angle of the fence - but still a strong image.
Thank you also Lois.
Its hard to get some distance on these things we spend so much time with but important.
Roy
-
Its hard to get some distance on these things we spend so much time with but important.
I have been photographing seriously for some 60 years, and I still find that my initial picks are not the ones I would choose a few weeks later. My secret: never throw anything away (unless it is a technical failure), and go back from time to time to revisit older photos. You may have missed some real winners.
Good luck with the submission and show!
-
I like no-4 for white-soft look but still with some texture, beautifully offset by those tree shadows in the back. And you may want to crop ou the slight fence in the upper right.
JMR
-
I'm going to comment on each one- my opinions are free, so take them for what they are worth
1) I like the verticals in this shot, but the fence rail in the background weakens the effect.
2) I think I see where you are going with this one, but I think the shot would benefit from a vertical crop, excluding the left hand 50%
3) The lines created by the foliage do not add enough to the image. I would like to see a tighter crop, centered on the rock and the background wall- much stronger.
4) Cool shot. I think I'd crop in a bit from the top to remove the background trees, while leaving the framing low hanging branches.
5) My favorite. Try bringing down the brightness a bit.
6) I like this one, too. Decreasing the brightness and increasing the contrast might make it seem more abstract.
John
-
#1 is just wild and wonderful. The white areas of #2 and #3 are too much - like a white sky, better if you could crop some or darken.
-
Roy,
I don't know in which form you will submit them, but this would be visible even in 9x14 print. The same occurs in #2, though not so strong.
-
Hi, Roy,...
I'm affraid you've been using a little too much unsharp mask and noise reduction on your pictures... See the tree edge (reply by panopeeper)
I miss real sharpness in pretty much all of your pictures, especially in nr5.
In number 1 there's a lot of Cromatic aberation, which kills the whole thing.
I don't think submitting (any of) these pictures in the actual quality is a good idea.
greetings,
Steven
-
Here are some pictures I am considering for a photographic show submission.
I can only submit two.
Would appreciate comments and suggestions.
Thanks.
Roy
A caution instead of a critique. These high res images take forever to load. Those without scruples can print up to ~8"x10" at 240ppi with them.
-
My secret: never throw anything away (unless it is a technical failure), and go back from time to time to revisit older photos. You may have missed some real winners.
I also don't throw my old film away. Going back in time brings back fond memories. But instead of uncovering gems, I often wonder what was I thinking!
With digital, there is no technical failure that cannot be recovered, or so it seems. And who knows when you may need to use a partial image for patching up or for collaging.
-
I also don't throw my old film away. Going back in time brings back fond memories. But instead of uncovering gems, I often wonder what was I thinking!
Me too. It's mostly "what was i thinking!" But there are gems too. I would guess the ratio may be one gem for every 5000 WWIT's.
With digital, there is no technical failure that cannot be recovered, or so it seems. And who knows when you may need to use a partial image for patching up or for collaging.
Chris: When you have time, I've got a bunch of digital technical failures for you to recover for me.
-Eric
-
Chris: When you have time, I've got a bunch of digital technical failures for you to recover for me.
By the time CS555 comes out, you can bring your failures to my nursing home (if I'm lucky). By then, Nikon and Canon would only be selling P&S, and not dslrs, which are not needed any more. Bad photographers will no longer exist, replaced only by bad PS users. The future is bright.