Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => The Coffee Corner => Topic started by: stacibeth on February 11, 2009, 12:41:02 pm

Title: promo mailers
Post by: stacibeth on February 11, 2009, 12:41:02 pm
I'm looking to create a new mailer, I was thinking maybe accordian style, where should I go?

Modern postcard is great but I don't think they do accordian style  cards,
Title: promo mailers
Post by: russell a on February 12, 2009, 04:03:33 pm
PaperChase has a a variety of promo mailers including an accordion fold. http://www.paperchase.net/promos.php (http://www.paperchase.net/promos.php) They also have a new "Mighty Mini" 4x4" book.  http://www.paperchase.net/mini.php (http://www.paperchase.net/mini.php)
Title: promo mailers
Post by: russell a on February 12, 2009, 04:19:50 pm
BTW, you may have heard the story about the photographer who took a box of accordion promo mailers to drop some off at a cafe in a somewhat dicey neighborhood.  She took a handful of the promos from the box on the back seat of her car and went in the cafe.  She was chatting with the cafe owner when she realized that she hadn't locked her car.  She rushed out, looked in the back seat, and sure enough, her worst fears were realized.  Now there were two boxes of accordion promo mailers on the seat!



PS:  This is an adaptation of an old musician's joke.  I couldn't resist.  I think that, sadly, it works for us photographers as well.
Title: promo mailers
Post by: bill t. on February 12, 2009, 05:22:58 pm
I have spent money badly at various times in my career, but none so badly as on promotional mailings.  Even email works a lot better, really!

You know what works really good in local markets?  The briefest of mentions on your local PBS channel's Sunday night lineup, say at the start of Nature or something.  No kidding.

It wears thin after a few weeks or months, but initial returns on a 5 second slot can be amazing.  For just about any high-concept product like family portraits, art exhibitions etc.  I know a gallery that went from nothing to #1 in very quickly this way.  The least that can happen is your name will acquire a familiar resonance with an awful lot of people.

But a card in a pile of junk mail?  Just more trash.
Title: promo mailers
Post by: Justan on February 13, 2009, 12:10:19 pm
^^^I had similar results in a different specialty and a slightly different venue - I advertised on the local Dr Laura radio show. Got lots of work - the formula Bill T describes is a proverbial nail on the head.
Title: promo mailers
Post by: stacibeth on February 15, 2009, 02:34:24 pm
So other than the paper chase, does anyone have any suggestions on where to get accordian style photo mailers printed?

Thanks
Title: promo mailers
Post by: haefnerphoto on February 15, 2009, 02:54:53 pm
Quote from: stacibeth
So other than the paper chase, does anyone have any suggestions on where to get accordian style photo mailers printed?

Thanks

Another source would be Postcard Press.  I've had 8.5x11 trifold pieces done that they printed very nicely.  If the website doesn't list the exact item you're interested in check with a sales rep, they are very accommodating.  Jim