Luminous Landscape Forum
Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Digital Image Processing => Topic started by: fike on February 09, 2009, 04:55:30 pm
-
I recently got my 15MP 50D. The larger file-sizes seem to be choking my PC using PS CS3. After previewing a couple dozen images with the loup, Bridge tells me it is out of memory. I have 3GB of RAM, dual core AMD Opteron processor, a large scratch disks, and large pagefile disk (separate volumes and channels).
Has anyone else seen these kinds of performance issues with the larger files of the newer DSLRs?
I wonder if CS4 would handle these problems better, particularly with the enhanced GPU support?
P.S. Has anyone seen any attempts to quantify the CS4 improvements from GPU support? I have been unable to find any robust testing of this new feature?
-
Have you checked the settings in preferences where you decide how much RAM Photoshop CS3 gets to use?
I have the same amount of RAM and sometimes quite large images, but never had this coming up.
It's in Preferences/performance.
I set it to use 2092Mb (out of 3Gb RAM available), a number I found recommended in either Evening's CS3 book or in Real World Photoshop CS3.
-
Have you checked the settings in preferences where you decide how much RAM Photoshop CS3 gets to use?
I have the same amount of RAM and sometimes quite large images, but never had this coming up.
It's in Preferences/performance.
I set it to use 2092Mb (out of 3Gb RAM available), a number I found recommended in either Evening's CS3 book or in Real World Photoshop CS3.
Yes, I have tweaked that setting. I will need to try exactly 2092MB, but I have set at various points in the recommended range. I recently purged the entire Bridge cache and thought that was going to fix it, but it has had some more out of memory errors.
-
I just tried your scenario with a folder of 60+ Canon 1Ds2 (16.7 MP) files with no problem. I have a Win XP SP3 box (32 bit) with 4 GB of RAM, quad core processor.
I'm basically taking the default values, but "Use High Quality Previews" in the Advanced preferences is disabled. Under the Thumbnails preferences, "Convert to High Quality When Previewed" is checked on.
Out of about 1700 MB of available RAM, PhotoShop is using about 70% (~1200 MB). This is at the upper end of the "ideal" range.
I don't think the problem is file size, per se: I regularly work with layered TIFFs of 600+ megabytes or more. Are you perhaps running other apps in the background that use a lot of resources?
Paul
-
I just tried your scenario with a folder of 60+ Canon 1Ds2 (16.7 MP) files with no problem. I have a Win XP SP3 box (32 bit) with 4 GB of RAM, quad core processor.
I'm basically taking the default values, but "Use High Quality Previews" in the Advanced preferences is disabled. Under the Thumbnails preferences, "Convert to High Quality When Previewed" is checked on.
Out of about 1700 MB of available RAM, PhotoShop is using about 70% (~1200 MB). This is at the upper end of the "ideal" range.
I don't think the problem is file size, per se: I regularly work with layered TIFFs of 600+ megabytes or more. Are you perhaps running other apps in the background that use a lot of resources?
Paul
I am pretty good about killing unnecessary background apps. I am afraid that an uninstall and reinstall may be the only option at this point, but I hate that process.