Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Cameras, Lenses and Shooting gear => Topic started by: Hoang on February 07, 2009, 01:11:12 am

Title: Canon 24 TS-E not listed on Canon EOS website anymore
Post by: Hoang on February 07, 2009, 01:11:12 am
Does anyone know if an update to the 24 TS-E is coming up soon? Canon seems to have removed it from their EOS website.
Title: Canon 24 TS-E not listed on Canon EOS website anymore
Post by: dseelig on February 07, 2009, 02:00:27 am
there was a rumor I think at canonrumors .com of a 24 2.8 ts we will see.
Title: Canon 24 TS-E not listed on Canon EOS website anymore
Post by: uaiomex on February 08, 2009, 01:35:29 pm
I'd rather like to see f4.0 or f5.6 versions over a f2.8. If we look at all wide angle offerings from manufacturers like Schneider or Rodenstock, they go for modest apertures to favor image quality over any other feature.
Besides, who needs a fast TS lens?
I would gladly pay 2.5K for a 24mm TS EF version of a Rodenstock HR.
Eduardo
Title: Canon 24 TS-E not listed on Canon EOS website anymore
Post by: kaelaria on February 08, 2009, 11:59:54 pm
I agree - the 24T/S or it's next incarnation is my next lens - and I hope they don't only give us a faster version, I can't see using it wide open as it's primary use anyway.
Title: Canon 24 TS-E not listed on Canon EOS website anymore
Post by: Kirk Gittings on February 09, 2009, 01:34:29 am
I agree too. Give me better corner sharpness at full shift and an f4 or 5.6 any day. I only use this lens on a tripod and never with a smaller aperture than f8.
Title: Canon 24 TS-E not listed on Canon EOS website anymore
Post by: Yoram from Berlin on February 09, 2009, 03:42:19 am
The 24mm TS-E L has been a HUGE disappointment for me. 24mm is "my" focal length - I also shoot with the fabulous 24mm f/1.4 L Mk II, and the 24-70mm f/2.8 L. But the TS-E was shockingly soft. I am not the kind of photographer who spends hours pixelpeeping, but I bought this lens to shoot urban landscapes to print large, and the mush around dense tree branches was unacceptable. No amounts of carefully applied sharpening from Nik Sharpener could save the image. I was able to reshoot the same with the 24mm Mk II and the images were great in terms of sharpness... but compositionally different due to the absence of shift. (Body is the 1Ds Mk III)

I hope Canon introduces a new TS-E L lens, or just a Mk II.
Title: Canon 24 TS-E not listed on Canon EOS website anymore
Post by: Ronny Nilsen on February 09, 2009, 03:58:12 am
Quote from: kaelaria
I agree - the 24T/S or it's next incarnation is my next lens - and I hope they don't only give us a faster version, I can't see using it wide open as it's primary use anyway.

I hope it is both sharp and fast. I too stop down when shooting, but with a fast
lens getting the focus right is easier. When shooting at dusk or dawn a bright image
in the viewfinder is valuable, and the narrow dept of field makes it easier to see the
exact focus plane when using tilt.

Ronny
Title: Canon 24 TS-E not listed on Canon EOS website anymore
Post by: David Anderson on February 09, 2009, 04:33:46 am
I find my 24 tilt is quite sharp - not quite as sharp as the 35 1.4 maybe, but good across the frame as well.

Just the same, really looking forward to getting my hands on the new 24 1.4.

Title: Canon 24 TS-E not listed on Canon EOS website anymore
Post by: Kagetsu on February 09, 2009, 06:36:05 am
I too have a nice copy I suppose... In any case, it seems to work well for me.

I wouldn't mind a slightly wider T/S lens though... somewhere in the order of 18mm's or even a little wider.